Get of the ship and walk

SthrnCruiser

Is this possible? Most times we like to just get off the ship and start walking around when in port. Never been to San Juan and not sure if this is possible. Is it possible to see some neat things by doing this or do we need to book an excursion through the ship?

This is a great port to walk around. You can walk to the forts and check them out, there are shops, restaurants, beautiful buildings and sights everywhere. We rented a car, but you can walk around and see many things! San Cristobal and El Morro are the forts we visited.

Absolutely,,,,, you can do just as you propose and greatly enjoy it.

Old San Juan is a wonderful place for walking, enjoying the archtecture, popping into stores, having a nice lunch, going to the forts. All that can be done on foot as the ship docks immediately across the street from the heart of Old San Juan.

Absolutely,,,,, you can do just as you propose and greatly enjoy it.

Old San Juan is a wonderful place for walking, enjoying the archtecture, popping into stores, having a nice lunch, going to the forts. All that can be done on foot as the ship docks immediately across the street from the heart of Old San Juan.

Do you know how far the forts are from the dock. We are in our 70s and I would try to get on the free trolley, but if the line is too big, maybe we could walk. Standing on line is sometimes harder than walking.

Yes, OSJ is a very walk-able place. And there is so much to see. I would suggest you get a written walking guide (available on-line or in some books), because things are so much more interesting when you know what you are seeing/walking past. Lots of history. There are also audio guides, Iphone apps and actual tour guides that are available too.

HI I will be going on the gem to Old San Juan in April. Was just curious as to what pier it docks at. If any one has that info I would be grateful. thanks

If you are coming for a day visit, you should be docking right in the heart of town. Most of the ships that depart from San Juan dock a little bit further away at the Pan Am pier.

I think mostly the answers here are about the pier right in the old town, but what's about if our ship is at Pan Am Pier ?

Is it possible as well to walk from that Pier to the Old Town ?

Is it possible...yes. Is it safe/feasible/easy- no.

If your ship is at Pan Am, you need to take a taxi to OSJ.

If you are coming for a day visit, you should be docking right in the heart of town. Most of the ships that depart from San Juan dock a little bit further away at the Pan Am pier.

Thanks for the info. Was thinking about booking the legends of Puerto Rico tour--night tales tour of Old San Juan. they meet at the Plaza Colón statue and end at Cathedral on Cristo Street. The tour is from 6-8pm. If I am correct it is 15 minute walk back to the ship. We are in Old San Juan from 3-9p. We on the Norewegian Gem. I think this is feasible. thanks liz

HI I will be going on the gem to Old San Juan in April. Was just curious as to what pier it docks at. If any one has that info I would be grateful. thanks

Google maps shows the walking distance from the most distant of the three old town cruise piers to the more distant of the two forts as 2.1 Km. That should be a good reference for anyone who wants to walk it.

Google maps shows the walking distance from the most distant of the three old town cruise piers to the more distant of the two forts as 2.1 Km. That should be a good reference for anyone who wants to walk it.

Thank You for the information..good to know. liz

I agree.

We rode a taxi from Pan Am to Old San Juan despite being walkers. I don't recommend walking.

Hello I have walked Old San Juan 3 times. It is uphill from the Pier and on a hot day it is tiring. The 2nd time we took a cab to El Morro and walked back down hill to look at all the sights and shops. I think it was $10. There are good self guided walking tours online. Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

Wrong answer, if you're fit and it's not too hot it's walkable.

Yeah, it's a long walk and the first part along the pier and the long line of waiting taxis is not that nice, but the other side of the port is nice and I never felt that I was in any danger from anybody. There are walkways everywhere except the pier.

If I would have took the taxi I would have missed some great streetart at some of the buildings along the street nearest to the water. And near the Capitolio (the Capitol Building) are some nice monuments.

If you're a group then a taxi for around 18 to 20 Dollars might be nice, but on your own it is quite a price...