What is required if only one parent is traveling with teen?

My children's dad did not travel with us last week on our cruise out of San Juan but I had a notorized letter from him anyway with travel dates, sailing vessel, etc. It took less than 5 minutes to do all of that. No one asked for it but I had it. I will always travel with one because I'd rather have it and not be asked for it than not have it and be asked for it. Both of my children do have a passport as do I.

I have travelled alone with my kids before my divorce and after. I always did the letter, as it takes me 5 minutes to put in the revised travel information on my office computer, and then have my now ex sign it. He has a bank account at a bank that provides a notary free of charge, so it costs nothing to have it notarized, and I work for a large law firm so a bunch of my co workers are notaries for my signature.

Once my divorce was final and I changed my name back to my maiden name, I was more definite about getting the letter. I was only asked for a letter when we crossed the border into Canada but I always have it.

And as for the person who posted about using passports and once a child has one, since both parents had to be present to get it, that's all you need that is not true. Childrens' passports are good for 5 years, and a lot happens in that 5 year period. Just because a parent consented to obtaining a passport doesn't mean that they are going to agree to the other parent taking the kids out of the country 3 years later.