difference in Carribean and Pacific

jfhtn

We have done several cruises including Alaska and Mediterranean but have never done the Pacific side. We are planning a Nov cruise on the Dawn and wondered about the weather and the ocean versus Carribean.:cool: From the reviews I read regarding the ships and ports, maybe I ought to just go to San Fran and San Diego instead.

• 4 weeks later...

We live on the west coast and have done both sides, recently the Valor in the Western Caribean. I LOVE the caribean waters!!! However, you have a better chance seeing dolphins, sea turtles, whales and other creatures in the Pacific. We did not see one sea animal from the ship in the caribean waters. I don't know why? The pacific is colder though. November is a great time for the Mex. Riv. it will still be warmish there. San Fran will be cold, San Diego could be in the 70's. We have a condo in Rosarito, Baja and Thanksgiving is my favorite time there. It is almost always great weather.

We went on our first cruise last year to the Western Caribbean and just loved it. We are now in the process of beginning to "research" for our second cruise. We live just outside of Los Angeles and I am pushing for a Mexican Riviera cruise because it means no plane flight.

Because we had such a great time in the Caribbean, I am getting a little bit of resistance from the rest of the family. They want to be sure that the pacific ports of call will be just as much fun. I know the water will be colder, but is there a really big difference in the "feel" and the "Tropicality" (yeah, I make-up words) of the ports of call?

IMO there is a huge difference between the two, If your family likes the water and snorkeling you are not going to even get close in the Mexican Riveria. If you look at the Mexican Riveria ports boards most people are recommending going to different hotel pools at the different ports. You are in So Cal go to the beach look at the water there you have it same water just slightly warmer. That said I am going on a Mexican Riveria cruise in two months so not opposed but then I don't expect the "tropicality" of the Carribbean.

Mexican Riviera beaches cannot compare to the Caribbean, but the more we go there the better we like it. In Ixtapa and in PV we have found beaches that are nearly as nice as Caribbean beaches but the water not quite as warm or quite as clear. If you are going to PV, take the Las Caletas excursion if you want to get about as close as you can to a Caribbean beach - assuming, of course, that the day you do this is a good one! We've been there twice and loved it both times. Sailing from CA since we live here is a huge draw! No flying!

You say you've been to Alaska but not on the Pacific??? ok, just teasin'.

About the Pcific Ocean and Mexico....yes the water in the Pacific Beaches are not as tranquil or clear as in the Caribbean, but that is because it's a large open ocean, as opposed to the Caribbean. Two different entities and qualities. But both coasts are of equal yet different enjoyment.

You talk about an alternate San Francisco-San Diego cruise.....funny you mentioned that. I had some friends that were taking their honeymoon on a Mexican Riviera cruise. Because of storms, the captain had to change their itinerary to nothbound Pacific, so they ended up moslty in San Francisco (which was not fun for them, since they were from northern California to begin with.) Plus, they had only brought beach clothing, and not prepared themselves for the cold, damp foggy climate of the City by the Bay. Well, they left their hearts in San Francisco alright, but not in any kind of romantic way, to be sure.

Archived