MSC Fantasia - docks at 8am in Venice, enough time catch 10:45am flight?

MTV43

Firstly, happy belated New Year to all of you!

It will be our first MSC cruise round trip from Venice. Based on its schedule, MSC will dock at 8am. Will there is enough time to catch 10:45am flight from VCE to Istanbul? Assuming that we will arrange for private airport transfer from the dock.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

MTV

Hi MTV.

This question has been asked before.

The answer is no.

High probability of fog will delay docking and it is highly likely you won't be leaving the ship until around the time your plane is leaving.

Even if you miraculously leave the ship at 8am you won't get to airport until about 9.15.

I would not attempt that under any circumstances.

First of all docking at 8am does not mean getting off at 8.00am the ship has to be cleared by immigration before anyone is allowed off. So more likely those in the first group allowed off will get off around 9.00. Ship will probably not finish disembarking until 10.30. You can ask to be in first group but are not guaranteed to be in it.

However assuming there aren't another 300-400 people that absolutely need to get off first too and you get in the first group. Venice is a chaotic, disorganised and busy cruise terminal. There will be other shipsmin that day. How will you know where to find your private transfer? How quickly will you find it? There isn't ones sinle exit door that everyone uses.

Ok so assuming that all only takes 10-15 minutes (and please bear in mind with thousands disembarking moving slowly with luggage and tryingntonwork out where taxi ranks are water buses, water taxes etc etc, it will be difficult for you to rush through the melee.

Travel time to Marco Polo will be about 30 minutes, so by now it's going to be 9.45 or even later. Security at Venice is ALS chaotic. Last October took me an hour to getbthrough it and that was after 20 minute wait to drop off my bag. Other times when I've been on a land holiday it wasn't quite as bad but still not quick. Lots of cruise ships disembarking makes for a very busy airport.

What time does check in actually close?

So you're unbelievable tight, with no wiggle room. Travelling with hand baggage only may mean you have a btter chance but you're setting yourself up to fail.

Sorry probably not what you want to hear but that's my view. You may find some who managed to get a morning flight, but it's high risk. Not sure what the travel insurance providers stance would be if you miss the flight and incur a lot of additional costs. Suggest they may say no, because you didn't allow a reasonable time to make the flight.

Also bear in mind that docking can be delayed at Venice due to fog.

If you have other choices, look for a flight at least ater midday.