Guarantee question

flyingaggie02

If I book a deluxe balcony guarantee directly through Princess but I select the guarantee from under the forward section for upper decks (15,16), could they give me either an obstructed view deluxe balcony OR a deluxe balcony on a different deck?

I understand they will not give me anything less than the deluxe balcony, but I am curious to see if we are getting a guarantee in that section of the ship.

Thanks!

When you book a GTY, it could be anywhere on the ship. You have given Princess permission to book you in any cabin and the implication is that you would accept it. You have the option of refusing it but usually, there's a short window to do so. The only thing guaranteed is a cabin in the category you booked, or better. You may find out your cabin shortly after booking or at the pier.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thanks for the quick response. I guess my concern is if I book a guarantee for a lower floor it is cheaper... but I really would like a higher floor and am willing to pay more for that if we would in fact be on the higher ones. I would be upset if I pay 1 price for a guarantee and get assigned a guarantee that would have been several hundred less.

Do you know if the obstructed views are in the same category as a deluxe balcony, or is that totally separate?

It all depends on the cabin category. You need to check the deck plans and prices for the different categories in order to compare them. If you book a GTY, you'll pay a specific price and be assigned a cabin in that category or better. If you want a preferred deck or section, book a specific cabin. If the fare is reduced and you are eligible, you can get re-fared. Using a TA would help you as Princess allows TAs to discount cruise fares.

Edited by Pam in CA

If I book a deluxe balcony guarantee directly through Princess but I select the guarantee from under the forward section for upper decks (15,16), could they give me either an obstructed view deluxe balcony OR a deluxe balcony on a different deck?

I understand they will not give me anything less than the deluxe balcony, but I am curious to see if we are getting a guarantee in that section of the ship.

Thanks!

Taking, for example, the Royal Princess, there are 10 deluxe balcony cabin categories (D4, DA, DB, DC, DD, DE, DF, DV, DW, DZ). Of these, DV, DW and DZ are obstructed view.

For the Royal, DF fits what you describe as forward and on decks 15 & 16.

So if that is what you booked, you have agreed to have any cabin in the DF category or higher. Thus, you would not get any of the obstructed view deluxe balconies.

You could get assigned to any of the following:

o a DF cabin forward on decks 15 or 16 or even deck 8 which also has some DF cabins.

o a deluxe balcony cabin in a category higher than DF (namely D4, DA, DB, DC, DD or DE). What you would be assigned in one of these categories could end up being on deck 16, 15, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9 or 8. And it could be forward, mid-ship or aft.

o a cabin that is a mini-suite or a full suite (highly unlikely, but theoretically possible)

• 4 weeks later...