Packing tips: Double duty (multiple use) items

TXgalSAM

Wish I could follow this one!

"When preparing to travel, lay out alyour clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller "

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful ideas. I have certainly added a few new things to my "Packing List" spreadsheet!:D

Am looking to buy a new carryon with wheels (due to shoulder issues have to have wheels) and NOT finding a lot of choices in the 19-20" range.

Seems like many of the international carryon size limits are less than domestic. We will be flying Delta and Air France and theirs seem to be the same as US carriers so we should be good for this summer but would like to plan for future travel.

Does anyone have any current suggestions?

I always take several sizes of Ziploc bags and some 2x3 and 3x4 clear craft zip bags (Michael's or Hobby Lobby). I use the small craft bags mainly for my jewelry. Fit matching sets of necklace & earrings in each bag. Then, I throw all of those (I don't take a lot...maybe 3-4 sets) into a small bag.

I also travel only with clothes that are black, white, red, or gray. Everything matches. My husband and I each put a change of clothes & underwear into each other's bags.

Am looking to buy a new carryon with wheels (due to shoulder issues have to have wheels) and NOT finding a lot of choices in the 19-20" range.

Seems like many of the international carryon size limits are less than domestic. We will be flying Delta and Air France and theirs seem to be the same as US carriers so we should be good for this summer but would like to plan for future travel.

Does anyone have any current suggestions?

Hi there!

We are excited to try our first river cruise and after reading all the reviews about Amsterdam boutique hotels, I made the decision that this trip was going to be ALL in a carryon. And I have a 6 lb. 22" carryon from Lipault that is absolutely the BOMB! I purchased this from Travelsmith and I must say it has changed my travel life. I also pack everything in compression bags and stay organized. See it here, http://www.travelsmith.com/lipault-22-22-4-wheeled-carry-on-bag/22735

And I just got DH the Lipault backpack ( a real step up from that ole Jansport he inherited from the kids, LOL)

My double duty clothing is the travel line from Chicos, lightweight, interchangeable with some items from Travelsmith as well. They have a few reversible pieces that are lovely. I love Arcopedico shoes for serious sightseeing. I have read that people in Europe have a disdain for the casually dressed Americans tourists, but I think it's very easy to be on vacation and yet look nice and presentable while being efficient in packing if you plan well.

Drugstores (including Walmart) sell pill bags - small "ziplocs", sized for about a days worth of drugs with space on the front to write - package of 50 is about $3? I buy them for my husband - he used to wrap his daily pills in foil but the bags are SO MUCH easier! Probably a little more expensive than the snack size ziplocs but the size is ideal and my husband loves them.

(just found these on Amazon - no white space for writing but super cheap - might buy these when we next need some http://www.amazon.com/500-CLEAR-Reclosable-Zipper-Bag/dp/B002EDINF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393338087&sr=8-1&keywords=pill+bags )

I too am a mix & match packer. I'm not sure I have a lot of "double duty" items but I have a detailed packing list and I make sure that everything is necessary and really try to limit those "just in case" items. For many of my trips, buying things on site is a possibility, but I also travel in developing countries and am more careful about first aid & medication packing for those trips, as well as having a couple outfits in my carry-on (or traveling carry-on only if possible) because finding replacement clothing isn't always easy.

Thanks for the tip ..

• 3 weeks later...

I get them at Walmart and pay $1.00 for 50 that are 2"x3". Never had a problem with security. I pack our daily medicines even at home in individual ziplocks. I usually prepare for 1 week at a time.

Packing is always a problem. No matter how much I reduce, I still take too much.:(:(