Packing tips: Double duty (multiple use) items

TXgalSAM

I found those little ziploc pill bags at Dollar Tree. Also found one of those multi-plugs there as well, which is great if you need multiple outlets for charging appliances in the cabin. I also read a good tip for hand-washing garments. The suggestion was that, since so many bathroom sinks are woefully small, take a gallon ziploc bag (or larger if you are doing a larger garment), add a few drops of detergent or shampoo, add your garments, water, zip closed, and squeeze a few times to "clean". Empty soapy water, fill with clear water and repeat the process to rinse.

Becki

One of the most useful things I always pack is a set of "Command 3M hooks". Being short I find the hooks on doors frequently too high and I can set up a lower one. (also work on the wall or inside the closet) They are completely removable and leave no mark on wall or wood.

Love all of these tips.

We never travel without plastic clips. We bought a bag of clothespin- type clips at a dollar store and find they come in handy in many ways. Keeping drapes shut (someone mentioned above). Weighing down pesky shower curtains so they don't cling to you, holding towels onto beach or deck chairs, clipping clothing to hangars, hanging wet clothing, clipping paperwork together, etc. They are lightweight and take up little room in luggage. If you can find magnetic ones, you may find they will stick to your walls and doors and have even more possibilities.

We also have a small over the door pocketed organizer (also from a dollar store). On some cruises we have found it valuable for holding cameras, binoculars, paperwork, phone, key cards, sunglasses... and other clutter items.

I also feel compelled to comment on the jewelry statements, although a bit off-topic. I agree with not bringing any items you can't bear to lose. We all have varying comfort levels on wearing valuables when we travel. I was debating purchasing a fake wedding set for travel and a friend pointed out to me that fakes do not make you less of a target at all. Shiny bling is shiny bling, a criminal can't tell the real from the fake. My nice jewelry stays home or in the safe when we are off-ship.

I like the plastic clips. If you can't find them at your dollar store ( I couldn't) look in a kitchen outlet store. I found some nice ones there. They are small, but sturdy enough to use as clothespins for handwashing, and I can pack them in one of my shoes, in a ziploc bag.

Becki

We are going on a 3 week river cruise in May and will each take a carry on rolling bag and a back pack. We do not check our luggage. One experience of not getting your luggage for a week at a remote spot on Costa Rica makes a person realize that one small bag is better than nothing. Everything I pack has a dual purpose or can be worn with lots of things or it doesn't go in the suitcase. You would be surprised what you can get in one bag. Our traveling companions are always amazed at how well we can dress from one small bag. Most ships have laundry facilities or will do the laundry for you, and we take advantage of that too. Just take things that are wash and wear! Pick one color such as black pants, black skirt, black capris etc. It makes traveling so much easier.

We also only carry on even for longer trips but when traveling internationally, many airlines limit your roll aboard to 8 KG or 17 lbs. So I'm wondering how one can get by without checking the bag. After all, 17 lbs including the weight of the suitcase isn't much.

We've done two river cruises now using one carry-on bag and a briefcase each. I highly recommend the packing technique that's shown in the YouTube Video at the link below (assuming that the board lets it go through. If it doesn't, just google "pack for weeks in a carry-on" and it should pop right up. Another CC person posted the video over a year ago, and it impressed me. We used it last year and it really worked well for us.

OkieCruiser49

We have been using this packing technique for about the last 10 years. It is terrific! I take a bit more time than this demonstration because I do "hand press" as I lay the clothes out. This is much faster than folding each individual piece and there is less wrinkling, as well as being an efficient use of space.

Great thread!!

We do many of the ideas listed here...including traveling with a simple gold wedding band, which I only use when visiting some countries and in other places use when doing active or water excursions.

here are my "double duty" light packing ideas"

Pills and first aid: Many of you mentioned the plastic bags for pills; I bought this pill wallet because I don't take any prescriptions so I can use this for supplements and first aid kit. If you took a lot of prescriptions you could have 2- one for first aid and one for daily pills, or they make a double. With one or two "liquid" first aid items in my quart bag, this is all I need for a travel first aid kit

41R72jL%2B6RL.jpg

Outerwear: I have a goretex rain jacket, windblock fleece and bought a pair of lightweight fleece gloves and headband to put in the pocket of the rain jacket. This is all I bring, unless I am traveling in severe weather areas (like polar regions) The jackets can be worn seperately, or together in cool weather and the head band and gloves take up no room or weight in the pocket if touring early or late or on the water where it might be cooler than expected.

Foldable bag: I pack a foldable bag, that I can use for excursions during my trip, shopping for groceries, if I am staying in a place with a kitchen, and pack with souvenirs for the trip home.

getgraphic.ashx?ProductPartnerImageID=3265&PK=ac3c3702-0750-4284-94ac-af2c412c63d8&maxdim=200.jpg

Clothing:

-pashmina scarf or pareo (depending on your local) works as a scarf, blanket on the plane, picnic blanket/table cloth in parks

-quick dry, convertible capri pants/long pants in black. They travel well, you can roll them up if you get somewhere warm. Being black they dress up enough for dinner, but can be used for hiking too. I used to wear shorts, but find now at my age, that capris keep me as cool and are always appropriate anywhere, unlike shorts.

-amphibious sandals, I wear my closed toe Keens everywhere, with wool socks in cool places as sandals in warmer climes. They hike, they swim, they can be used with capris and look "decent" in a cathedral or at dinner.

81Vms9HyUrL._SX575_.jpg

-cheap gold flip flops, work with bathing suit, in the shower or icky baths, can use them as slippers on board.

Thanks for sharing your ideas! As a new River Cruiser, I'm going to book mark for specific ideas!

Edited by Familygoboston

We've done two river cruises now using one carry-on bag and a briefcase each. I highly recommend the packing technique that's shown in the YouTube Video at the link below (assuming that the board lets it go through. If it doesn't, just google "pack for weeks in a carry-on" and it should pop right up. Another CC person posted the video over a year ago, and it impressed me. We used it last year and it really worked well for us.

OkieCruiser49

I love it!!! Definitely going to try it!!

Robin

This is a great forum! We've used the YouTube packing method on a few trips and it works well...there are several videos, but the concept is the same. I also have a couple of packing cubes that really work to keep clothing wrinkle free.

Several years ago I made an excel spreadsheet for packing and over the years find that I remove more items than those I add to the list. But it does make packing easier and I'm less likely to leave something out.

A small tube of super glue has come in handy on more than one occasion and I pack a partial roll of duct tape. Manicure scissors are also packed.

I always pack ziplock bags in large and small sizes...they come in handy along the way. Our last cruise in Italy I packed some bubble wrap and it really came in handy for bringing home olive oil and also the limoncello that one of our guides gave us...both arrived home unbroken. The smaller ziplocks can be used for individual pieces of jewelry or pieces that you wear together. Leaving a small portion of the chain in the zip portion of the bag will prevent chains from tangling. If you're caught in rain someplace it's nice to have a plastic bag to keep your camera dry. Many nylon shopping bags come in their own small pocket case and these can be handy for carrying items to/from the boat...some now even have straps that can be worn as a simple backpack. I like to shop ;) and this has saved me from trying to manage a few separately bagged items.

After so many stories about checked luggage being opened and items taken I have reverted back to TSA locks instead of the zipties we had been using. Inside each bag I put a detailed itinerary of where we will be each day and contact numbers just in case.

Aside from my daily medications and vitamins I always pack a few immodium tablets, some cold/flu tablets, and pain relievers...just in case. Band-aids and moleskin are also on my list.

My heaviest clothing are what I travel in to/from destinations and I dress in layers. My poor husband rolls his eyes when I suggest the layers he wear on the plane:). I've purcahsed a few pieces of what is termed travel clothing and do find these fabrics wear well and the care is relatively carefree. Some of the fabrics with SPF protection breathe very well and look great. Jeans, capris, and a pair of black slacks can take me almost anywhere paired with a nice top and scarf. At least one packed scarf is large enough to wear around my shoulders or across my lap. For our last cruise we also brought a travel vest for me and jacket with zip off sleeves for my DH that both have several invisible interior pockets. Money, passports, glasses, small camera, and even our ipads could be carried comfortably and securely without being visible as we toured.

Packing clothing that can be worn several times is a must for us. I usually pack with a color scheme so that everything is interchangeable. No new shoes...only those proven to be comfortable for long periods of time and walking are included. My ballet flats are very comfortable.

Wearing my good jewelry depends on where we are traveling. Most trips my good jewelry stays safe at home. If I'm not secure wearing my diamonds someplace I'm certainly not going to wear knock-offs...the thugs don't know the difference. And if I travel someplace where I feel safe if it is in a poorer underdeveloped place in the world, I'm not going to wear my diamonds...I just would not feel right.

One thing that I have learned through the years is that I remember the people that we meet and travel with, not so much their clothing and how often the same shirt is worn!

Since international flights include 1 free checked bag (and very few other amenities), I'm going to take advantage of it.

What DW and I do to minimize the risk of lost bags is this: (1) each of us packs all essentials plus one or two changes of clothing in the roll-on, (2) each checked bag gets 1/2 of the items for each of us (matched up in outfits) -- that way if one bag gets lost, we can still limp along pretty well.

The other upside of this is that, just as carrying an umbrella is a good way to ward off rain, our carefully cross-packed bags have never been lost!

Since international flights include 1 free checked bag (and very few other amenities), I'm going to take advantage of it.

What DW and I do to minimize the risk of lost bags is this: (1) each of us packs all essentials plus one or two changes of clothing in the roll-on, (2) each checked bag gets 1/2 of the items for each of us (matched up in outfits) -- that way if one bag gets lost, we can still limp along pretty well.

The other upside of this is that, just as carrying an umbrella is a good way to ward off rain, our carefully cross-packed bags have never been lost!

"Cross packing" is the term DW and I use for this technique. It was quite handy when our luggage took several days to reach us on the ship. Definitely the way to go!

ETA: Can one pack carry on only and meet the fashion criteria some are advocating in the "Viking attire" thread here?

Edited by CPT Trips

"Cross packing" is the term DW and I use for this technique. It was quite handy when our luggage took several days to reach us on the ship. Definitely the way to go!

ETA: Can one pack carry on only and meet the fashion criteria some are advocating in the "Viking attire" thread here?

You have to check at least one bag, because you aren't allowed to put sharp horns in a carry-on! :D Although I was just reading an article in the Wall Street Journal about a Viking exhibit at the British Museum: they didn't wear horns on their helmets! Another beautiful myth shot down...

We often do this Jazzbeau, we check one bag for both of us...if it goes astray we will both go naked;)We do put all the critical things and enought to mamange for 2 days in our carry ons. The one thing we are dealing with now, is that our carry on bags are probably a little large for the inter Europe airlines. We use a stuffable 24 inch bag and I'm sure that needs to be 21-22 in Europe. Since DH is 6 foot 6 his clothes are large and we will need the checked bag if we are scaling down the carry ons (especially since he usually packs his entirely with camera gear:D)

Since we are on this topic, has anyone found a 21-22 inch roll aboard brand they love?? We use LLBean, but they make the bigger bags we already have.

I love the Eagle Creek products, and I've bought all of mine at Sierra Trading Post. They don't carry the full line, but you may see something else you like. Their prices are great and they have many brand names. My husband is also tall and I've bought him some Columbia sports shirts in talls at Sierra Trading Post as well.

Happy Shopping!

Becki

Since we are on this topic, has anyone found a 21-22 inch roll aboard brand they love?? We use LLBean, but they make the bigger bags we already have.

We love the Heys luggage line. We have 5 of their pieces and they have made quite a few trips both within the US as well as overseas. They have a rolling carry-on, the X Case 20in. It gets great reviews and we have purchased a few as gifts for family members. Sometimes Heys can be found in chains such as TJ Max or Marshalls. I believe Overstock.com may them online as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought of something else that does double duty....

For the ladies a 'pashmina' type of shawl..depends on the time of year....wrap it around your neck as a fashion statement....cover yourself on the plane if it gets too cool....use it as a wrap on board if it is a bit cool....use it as a blanket to lounge on in the park while eating your baguette and cheese....

OkieCruiser49

This is a great technique. I've been using it for several years, including for my annual Thanksgiving trip to Maine. I'm always cold so I pack lots of sweaters and warmies, but using this method it's surprising how much you can take.

I pack 'just enough' of lotions and potions. I've figured out how long a travel tube of toothpaste will last us. Same for shampoo and conditioner.

Some of this knowledge has been from prior travel and other times from at home trial.

Best hint--After my puny bottle (double ziplocked!) leaked on the flight to Rome I now decant that stuff into an old eye drop bottle. Hair gel goes into an old contact lens case.

found ladylighttravel.com on the fashion and beauty board.

I have a 19" Eagle Creek international carry-on (rolling bag) I adore but it's not made any more :cool: My husband wanted one like it and could NOT find a lightweight 19 or 20" international carry on that was light weight, rolling but NOT a 4 wheel spinner. He ended up getting a 19" North Face rolling duffel a couple months ago.

I also have a 22" Eagle Creek rolling duffel - for domestic (US) trips, I often use that and a tote bag as my only luggage and am able to do carry-on only. It's not ideal to do that for international trips but I can if I'm willing to check the bag where needed.....