Impressions of Galveston

NDRB

I'm interested in people's overal impressions of Galveston- does this seem like a place you might want to spend time before or after a cruise?

Is it at all scenic? Does crime seem to be much of a problem? How do the beaches seem? Does it seem relatively clean?

Thanks,

Nina

Would not be a bad place to stay prior to a cruise. The beach is pretty, there are very scenic areas. Crime is not that big of a problem on the island itself, I'd still lock my doors though just in case. There is a TON to do, all sorts of watersports, fishing, not even going into Houston, which has enough to keep you entertained for a lifetime.

Are you planning on renting the house out?

We stayed in Galveston for 4 days after a wedding last summer. We stayed at a condo, the Galvestonian. Loved this condo!!! It was right on the beach. Most hotels are across the street from the beach. However, the Galvestonian is about a mile down from the strip on its own private strip of beachfront area. In my mind...the best way to go. But if you don't have a car, it might prove difficult to get around.

The water itself was a little murky due to muddy rivers pouring into the gulf...but it was still nice. Beware of Bull Sharks, however...they like murky waters. We saw a dead baby shark or 2 along the shore, and the week after we were there (last July), there were 2 Bull Shark attacks.

Moody Gardens and the Strand are good places to visit. Loved the Rainforest Cafe and its volcano building. Loved Casey's (cheap but excellent fresh seafood eats). Have fun!

The water can be a bit murky at times, it is localized though and there are clear areas. The coloring is not pollution though, it's silt from the nearby rivers which makes it a lot easier to swim in. I agree with everything posted, feels pretty safe, lots of shopping, seafood, watersports, fishing. Very laid back, friendly people, with the mega metropolis Houston, just up the road if you do get bored.

I live in Texas and Love Galveston. It has a small-town atmosphere but plenty to do. It's really pretty-- a real garden spot. It has some great seafood restaurants. There's also an old sailing ship at the harbor you can tour, and a multi-media presentation by the harbor that shows you a sort of "movie" about the hurricane of 1900. It's worth at least spending the night there.

I'm looking for recommendations on a limo service from Houston to Galveston. I've gotten quotes from 90-150, am willing to pay the upper range for a reputable company with a real limo. We are 3 adults w/luggage heading to Galveston for 1 night prior to our cruise. TIA for any help.

Archived