Ferry Dock at St. Georges, Bermuda, Handicapped Accessible?

djaycruiser

I have read that though the ferry is handicapped accessible the dock at St. Georges is not. Can someone tell me if it just a matter of a few steps that I could walk down and someone carry my wheelchair or is it a long flight of steps. I have researched this on several sites here to no avail. Thank you for your help:)

The ferry deckhands will assist you.

The current ferry terminal (it was moved last year to accommodate a chartered ferry they were using for this route) is a little bit of a hike from the center of town with some inclines and cobblestone-paved streets to negotiate, so it isn't the most convenient location for someone using a wheelchair.

Thank you for the info. How about someone using a motorized scooter? Could they access the port?

Motorized scooters can be accommodated on the ferry to/from Hamilton, but I can't recall if I saw any on the St. George's ferry going to the new dock. They could be used at the old ferry dock but the ferry used at the new dock loads from the side rather than via a front ramp used on the standard ferries. I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I just don't remember.

• 3 months later...
April 2014? Any recent info if a scooter can be used on/off ferry? Vicki

There wouldn't be any new information yet, because the ferry to St. George's won't start running until April 28...but it is the same boat that was used last year, and you can't roll or drive mobility scooters or motorbikes on or off that boat.

Edited by njhorseman