Surf lessons in Lahaina

crafter188

We will be in Maui on Pride of America in August. I think we're going to try to take surfing lessons in Lahaina on our second day. Anybody have some advice? Is there a surf shop with lots of patience (for the non-athlete - that would be me)?

Goofy Foot in Lahaina is very good. We did a group family lesson (five of us, ages 20's through 50's) and everyone thought it was great. Do it early in the morning for less intense sun exposure. Reviews on Tripadvisor are consistently good.

The only thing I'm not sure about is your mention of being a 'non-athlete' ... all of us snow ski or snowboard, and we felt that this was an advantage in being able to get our balance on the surfboard. Also, you'll need to be able to go from lying on the board to kneeling and then quickly push up into a standing position ... so a bit of arm strength and agility helps. The waves that they teach you on are very small, and the instructors are very patient ... so if it's something you want to try, I would do it.

Goofy Foot Surf School guarantees that any student will ride at least one wave or the lesson is free. My son (8 y/o at the time) and I did the beginner group class and had a great time.

http://www.goofyfootsurfschool.com/surf-lessons/group

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware