Western Meditteranean in May

i just have a question for those who have taken the western med cruise to spain, france, and italy in may.

what is the weather like?

checking the weather online tells me to expect temps anywhere from 12 to 22C, which really isn't all that helpful.

what i need to know if it's really pants/sweater weather or shorts/tshirts.

i'm trying desperatley to plan my packing appropriately, but as a newby will fail miserably no matter how hard i try. i'm ok with that. ;)

just if anyone has been on this particular itinerary and could shed some light, i would be much appreciated.

thanks!

My wife and I were on this itinerary in May a few years ago. Unfortunately there is not a good answer. We had a mixed bag of weather conditions. We spent 3 days in Barcelona pre-cruise and it was cold and breezy. I would say around 50. In most of our ports I wore jeans and a short sleeve shirt and carried a light jacket. I wish a I could answer your question a little better, but I can't. I would just plan to pack a little of everything.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did the first cruise on the Liberty from Barcelona when it returned to Europe last May and usually take a weeks land holiday in the South of France late in May. Our cruise week was really hot, late May was cooler but still beach weather.

I would say shorts and t shirt, maybe with a light cardigan. I wore jeans, sandals and a vest top and cardi in Barcelona as I traveled from UK in them but shorts/skirt at the port stops. We took waterproof jackets too but really lucked out with the weather.

We've done the Med in May twice and have had beautiful weather ( 70's- 80's ) both times. We wore shorts on sea days but pants/capris when on shore in order to visit churches etc...... The only time I remember it being even a little chilly was late night at sea when a sweater was perfect on deck.

We've done the Med in May twice and have had beautiful weather ( 70's- 80's ) both times. We wore shorts on sea days but pants/capris when on shore in order to visit churches etc...... The only time I remember it being even a little chilly was late night at sea when a sweater was perfect on deck.

We were on the May 5th 12 night sailing on Carnival Sunshine in 2013. It was a mix of everything. Very cool and raining at sailaway from Venice on the 5th. Of course, DW and I were out there on the pool deck, getting wet and dancing the electric slide!:D

Evenings were cool to cold on our trip but great advice regarding visits to churches. Long pants for me when visiting the Vatican. Shorts, golf shirt were good most days and I brought along a light rain repellant jacket. We got soaked in Florence but it was hot walking the wall in Dubrovnik.

Our trip went from Venice to Barcelona. We mostly had GREAT weather during the day. We only experienced significant rain in Florence and Venice.

You just have to pack expecting a bit of everything. Good luck and enjoy!!!

MTG

We've been to many of the places you're visiting - both on a cruise and a land-based holiday in May. I've actually just taken a look back at photos from those times to see what we're wearing and it's mainly shorts/t-shirts and sleeveless tops/dresses.

We were on a cruise the first week in May last year around the same area and had a couple of rainy days but generally May is a really nice month - and the later you go in May the better it gets, and you will be going towards the end of May.

I would say don't expect hot weather but you should get some nice, warm, sunny days when it's just about perfect for sightseeing. The sea will probably be a little cold for a swim and you should pack a light jacket/cardigan and a small umbrella in case of a shower, but generally you'll have really nice weather.

Evenings tend to be coolish but you'll be on the ship then anyway

Edited by Bobal

We've sailed several times out of Barcelona in May and had pleasant weather, but then again for us anything on the high 50s to low 60s is good being from the UK! :D

One year when we visited Monte Carlo it rained, the next year at roughly the same time of month in Antibes the weather was glorious.

Normally I would reckon on mid 60s during the day and a little cooler at night.

• 2 months later...

@marriedinva,

I'm so glad you asked this question.

With my husband and I both being from Northern Wisconsin we are not accustomed to HOT temps. Sounds like May will be a great month to both enjoy the sunny weather yet not sweat to death.

I too wasn't thinking much about the possibility of rain, but I'll definitely make sure to pack a light rain jacket now that I've read more of this thread.

Thanks again!

AMANDA