Meet and Greet on Nautica - time and location?

Tansy Mews

I am organizing a Meet and Greet on Nautica. We want to have it early in the cruise, as early as possible, to allow people to meet others in their CC tour groups, etc.

I have not been on Nautica before so I am not sure about size of venues. We will likely be about 60 people. I don't want to wait until I am on board to finalize this. And I don't expect Oceania to do anything for us. (Please, let's not argue about that point. I just want to get it sorted beforehand!)

In some ways the Grand Bar would be ideal because then we could make up tables for dinner afterwards. Cocktail hour would be super. Horizons is the other choice, I guess. Any suggestions of location? As I said, I don't want to wait until I get on the ship.

Someone in another thread suggested after the muster drill. We depart Tianjin at 6pm. So that might work if the muster drill is before departure. (Usually is nowadays, isn't it?)

I have sailed Marina but Nautica so advice most gratefully received!

I am organizing a Meet and Greet on Nautica. We want to have it early in the cruise, as early as possible, to allow people to meet others in their CC tour groups, etc.

I have not been on Nautica before so I am not sure about size of venues. We will likely be about 60 people. I don't want to wait until I am on board to finalize this. And I don't expect Oceania to do anything for us. (Please, let's not argue about that point. I just want to get it sorted beforehand!)

In some ways the Grand Bar would be ideal because then we could make up tables for dinner afterwards. Cocktail hour would be super. Horizons is the other choice, I guess. Any suggestions of location? As I said, I don't want to wait until I get on the ship.

Someone in another thread suggested after the muster drill. We depart Tianjin at 6pm. So that might work if the muster drill is before departure. (Usually is nowadays, isn't it?)

I have sailed Marina but Nautica so advice most gratefully received!

Hi Frances, Having done more M&Gs that I want to talk about, the best place to be is in Horizons around 6-6:30. There is plenty of room - it's after High Tea and before dinner so everyone is usually in a convivial mood to meet the others. We're doing it on the cruise preceding yours and we also have 60 people. My friend Nancy did this one. Shouldn't be any problem. Have a great cruise!! Arlene;)

I agree with Arlene. I, too, have set up numerous Meet & Greets on the "R" ships. They have always been held in Horizons around 6pm. (Some others set up morning get-togethers but with 60 people I would recommend cocktail hour). (Even on Marina the M&Gs have been set up in Horizons.)

Don't assume that O0ceania won't cooperate. Go talk to the Concierge on Deck 4 with a list of participants. He will suggest a time and place, depending on what else is going on (not being sexist but I've only dealt with mail concierges on the "R" ships). They won't want your event to conflict with the Captain's Party, that's for sure. But I've always found them to be very cooperative, and they also send out invitations to all the participants. A sea day is best but it isn't always possible, depending on the itinerary.

The list for the Concierge only needs to have the names and room numbers. For my own personal list, I keep names, home towns, email addresses and cabin numbers but that is because I make up name tags. Not everyone does this but I like to. On the name tag I just have names and home town, not the cabin number -- because not everyone wants that information published. (Others will have the stick-on name tags with writing implements so that you can add your name.)

On our recent BCN-Rio cruise we had so many people that another passenger volunteered to help with preparing the name tags. Her practice is just to print the first name in as large a font as possible, along with the screen name. The only problem with that is that in my experience, I get many people wanting to join in the M&G who do not participate actively on CC. So screen names become irrelevant.

Mura

<snip>

Don't assume that O0ceania won't cooperate. Go talk to the Concierge on Deck 4 with a list of participants. He will suggest a time and place, depending on what else is going on (not being sexist but I've only dealt with mail concierges on the "R" ships). They won't want your event to conflict with the Captain's Party, that's for sure. But I've always found them to be very cooperative, and they also send out invitations to all the participants. A sea day is best but it isn't always possible, depending on the itinerary.

<snip>

Mura

Thanks. I did read the other thread where you said that Oceania would cooperate. I guess I am happy to have it all low key. Just did a RCCL trip with my sisters and there the M&G was awful. Yes, they had food. But we sat and listened to the cruise director. And then it was over. Contrast that with the last Marina one (Valpo - Papeete) where there was a lot of discussion and last minute possibilities for touring.

They don't normally have the captain's party on the first or second night, do they? Or is it totally unpredictable?

Frances

My recollection is that it's usually the first night out, especially if that's a sea day.

But don't depend on my memory!

I know that several times we've had to postpone our M&G because of the captain's party.

Mura

Frances,

In the "for what it's worth" category, I did the M&G on a recent Nautica cruise. Based on what I'd read on CC I didn't engage the concierge, and the planning was complete, including time/place, prior to embarkation. I simply told the manager of Horizons when we would be there to allow them to make any appropriate arrangements (there is seldom even a bartender in Horizons at that time of day).

We met at 2:00-3:00 in Horizons (after lunch, before tea), I provided name tags with first/last names (we had more than one of three first names), City and CC moniker. It was a very informal event. I simply asked everyone to stand and introduce them and their partner, then asked for those who were hosting pre-arranged tours to stand again so people could recognize them, and then opened the discussion for questions, comments (those looking for people to share rides in ports, etc.). The feedback from the ~50 people there was positive.

If I would change anything, I would move the meeting up to 1:30 to allow more time for people to visit. Also, the waiter was waiting to set up the corner we commandeered for tea, but it was not a real problem for him, only about 8-10 tables.

Hope there is some grain of help for you in there somewhere.

Edited by TKS

I would just add it is wise to specify where in Horizons the get together will take place unless you plan to have a large banner, etc. which would be unOceania.

Usually the best place is on the right side, facing forward, as the left is where the smokers are.

Also, if you plan your M&G a few days into the cruise, you can ask to have a notice put in the Currents to let people know where and when it will take place. Ask either the concierge or the Cruise Director if they can do it. We did that a few cruises ago and not only did it go in, there was a sign to the entrance of Horizons -- the right side away from the smokers - that said Cruise Critic Party!! We was quite a surprise to see the sign. F

They don't normally have the captain's party on the first or second night, do they? Or is it totally unpredictable?

It is usually the second night out on most lines, including Oceania, particularly if it is a sea day.

I have the Currents issue from our Alaska cruise on Regatta in 2011.

The Captain's Cocktail party was held second night out, and it was a sea day.

Here is what is listed in Currents:

"5:45 PM CAPTAIN'S COCKTAIL CELEBRATION

Hosted by Captain Jurica Brajcic in the Regatta Lounge (5)

Complimentary Cocktails from 6:00 pm - 8:00pm in Martinis (5) and Horizons (10) "

Frances,

Your idea of making it low key is ideal. I have kept running lists in the past so people feel included, but anyone can be a part of it just by introducing themselves. We have sticky name tags for those who want to wear one and meet in Horizons starboard the FIRST sail away night around 5:30. It is kind of nice to be able to take in Happy Hour 5-6. We find it more beneficial on the first night to meet people right away and usually a few suggest joining a table in the GDR. It gets you off to a good start.