Signs from balcony cabin

tricia1563

Cunard has evolved over the centuries. There were critics of the original Mary's art deco style and felt it was too American (which therefore lowered traditional English standards). When tails gave way to the dinner suit there were those who argued that the dining experience was being harmed.

I really don't see how Cunard is in "great decline" - I feel this is an overreaction. But I'd be interested to hear why you think this so.

Yes, they discount more sailings, but economic times are uncertain and without discounting Cunard - like other luxury lines - wouldn't be able to stay afloat.

I'd rather go through a period of no clotted cream on my scones than to forego them altogether because the line went bankrupt.

I agree in many ways, but standards have slipped over theays, still a great ship though

I laughed when you wrote that. My then 84 year old mother (and QM 2 travel companion) does have macular degeneration and that was the reason I used a ribbon on our door. :p

I understand your concerns about the demographic. But maybe they are the ones with the money to fund their trips.

They are indeed the one buying tickets, many on here might sail once a year or so and make it seem like they know every nut and bolt, so maybe the demographic is chamging.

I saw nothing wrong with something on the door, helped me to turn left and not right.

and lets not forget that the majority of Cunard passengers and a huge majority at that dont writie on the forum, CC members on sailing are 20 people out of 2600, and really while banners should not be flown, there is nothing at all rong with something small on a cabin door

Edited by rob6852

Ok, all comments taken in decision : NO sign/banner will be displayed. My dad wanted one with our names on so he could see me from our cabin and take a photo from dockside, I will use a bright shirt or something and wave it about and hopefully he can see it.

My first Cunard trip was a transatlantic with a friend and her daughter. The friend's husband drove us down to Southampton and then drove along the shore to the best place to view us. We had mobile phones in use so we knew when he was in sight. I dug into my suitcase and pulled out a bright blue jacket to wave from the balcony. He could therefore see us easily. (We were lucky that our side of the ship was facing him.)

Ok, all comments taken in decision : NO sign/banner will be displayed. My dad wanted one with our names on so he could see me from our cabin and take a photo from dockside, I will use a bright shirt or something and wave it about and hopefully he can see it.

You better get the bright shirt checked out first. They might not even like that one either

A bit of a side comment regarding a ribbon or otherwise to identify your cabin - examining the deck plan for the QM2, the cabin numbering system is quite easy to figure out. The last 3 digits are the cabin number on that deck; the first 1 or 2 (depending) are the deck number (1 if a 4-digit number, 2 if a 5-digit number). The cabin numbers are even for the port side and odd for the starboard side, and start from the forward end, increasing as one goes aft.

the only reason it struck me particularly is that this is also the pattern used in the RN and RCN for numbering compartments.