Signs from balcony cabin

tricia1563

I know this may be tacky for a cruise liner, but are passengers allowed to hang a material sign from their balcony cabin when coming into a port? I have never seen one on Cunard liners but can't seem to find any information on restrictions.

I know this may be tacky for a cruise liner, but are passengers allowed to hang a material sign from their balcony cabin when coming into a port? I have never seen one on Cunard liners but can't seem to find any information on restrictions.

I have seen it done and done see any reason why not, depends what it says maybe:)

lots of ships hang signs and flags

… hang a material sign from their balcony cabin when coming into a port? I have never seen one on Cunard liners but can't seem to find any information on restrictions.
Just curious, but what would your sign say? "God save the Queen"? "Go Broncos!"? "Hi, Mom"?

Please, please, don't.

Door signs inside the ship look tacky and degrade an elegantly decorated ship. Balcony signs are worse. For what? "Barb and John's Cabin"?

QM2 is a beautiful ship and has an elegant "stage presence" whenever she arrives. The last thing I would want to see are balcony signs that make her look like a floating housing tenement where the residents have hung out their laundry over the railings.

(And don't even get me started on Cunard a draping that "Marry me Jess" banner on QM2 as a marriage proposal for hire. I'm no fan of public marriage proposals and this one was awful.)

Please sail on another line - where this activity is welcome - if the ability to do this is important to you. It's just not something that is done on Cunard ships and I hope it never will.

Edited by BlueRiband

According to reports I read, the "Marry me Jess?" sign was arranged by Cunard PR people, at no cost to the individuals involved.

I don't know if the effort resulted in increased bookings, but it certainly did result in increased publicity.

I thought the entire stunt was ill conceived and sent the wrong message to potential passengers, but that is only my opinion. Here is one video of the event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGP8HjrSjto

-S.

Ok, all comments taken in decision : NO sign/banner will be displayed. My dad wanted one with our names on so he could see me from our cabin and take a photo from dockside, I will use a bright shirt or something and wave it about and hopefully he can see it.

Edited by tricia1563

Ok, all comments taken in decision : NO sign/banner will be displayed. My dad wanted one with our names on so he could see me from our cabin and take a photo from dockside, I will use a bright shirt or something and wave it about and hopefully he can see it.

It's tricky working that out as it depends on whether she's docked Portside or starboard.

Also, security is usually really tight and visitors aren't always allowed very close. Maybe telephoto lens.

Hi tricia1563,

Wise choice, a brightly coloured shirt would be best.

Also, if you can tell him in advance where roughly your balcony is located along the side of the ship, and both have mobile 'phones so you can chat "ship-to-shore", to let him know where you are stood on the promenade deck (if he can't see your balcony). Doing this has helped me in the past to see friends on board, or be seen by family from the quayside.

Last summer I pre-arranged with a friend where she would be stood for sail-away, she had a small flag with her which she waved, with the aid of a telephoto lens I was able to see (and photograph) her easily :) .

(I agree with the other posters above, whilst the hanging of huge signs over the balcony rail might been seen on some cruiseships, it is not safe and not Cunard. But some people on other ships clearly don't know unsafe and downright tacky when they see it :rolleyes: ).

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

I did put a red ribbon on my door as we were next to the elevators and never knew whether our stateroom was left or right. It was surprising the number of people we heard who also used our ribbon as a marker.

On deck 5 this last crossing january 3rd, so many doors had markers, it made it easy for us to find our cabin as well

I fly national nautical flags from my balcony and flag of the country we sail into.

I have historical linen flags that I fly

When I sailed into Rotterdam on QM2

There were so many orange flags greeting

Us. Great!

They love this in Rotterdam, I have friends who live just as you sail out, they like to wave back as well, huge towels normally:)

On deck 5 this last crossing january 3rd, so many doors had markers, it made it easy for us to find our cabin as well

I'm unhappy to learn that door signs are beginning to appear on Cunard ships. I've never liked the practice for the reasons stated above. (They cannot all be traveling with 84 year old mothers who suffer from macular degeneration.)

The decline in evening formal dress and the emergence of home made decorations suggest a shift in the passenger demographic.

. (They cannot all be traveling with 84 year old mothers who suffer from macular degeneration.)

The decline in evening formal dress and the emergence of home made decorations suggest a shift in the passenger demographic.

I laughed when you wrote that. My then 84 year old mother (and QM 2 travel companion) does have macular degeneration and that was the reason I used a ribbon on our door. :p

I understand your concerns about the demographic. But maybe they are the ones with the money to fund their trips.

I'm unhappy to learn that door signs are beginning to appear on Cunard ships. I've never liked the practice for the reasons stated above. (They cannot all be traveling with 84 year old mothers who suffer from macular degeneration.)

May well be true, they bring the price down so low, there was a lot of of balloons hanging off doors, Christmas decorations as well, but to me Cunrad is at moment in great decline, if it wants to keep it image of being better than other lines and I say better not the best, they are way short of being the best, they must bring back higher standards

May well be true, they bring the price down so low, there was a lot of of balloons hanging off doors, Christmas decorations as well, but to me Cunrad is at moment in great decline, if it wants to keep it image of being better than other lines and I say better not the best, they are way short of being the best, they must bring back higher standards

Cunard has evolved over the centuries. There were critics of the original Mary's art deco style and felt it was too American (which therefore lowered traditional English standards). When tails gave way to the dinner suit there were those who argued that the dining experience was being harmed.

I really don't see how Cunard is in "great decline" - I feel this is an overreaction. But I'd be interested to hear why you think this so.

Yes, they discount more sailings, but economic times are uncertain and without discounting Cunard - like other luxury lines - wouldn't be able to stay afloat.

I'd rather go through a period of no clotted cream on my scones than to forego them altogether because the line went bankrupt.

I personally feel that hanging banners from balconies is right up there with hanging laundry. I do see the temptation as I have stood on the dock many times trying to figure out which is ours.

One exception....sailing into Southampton for the Queens Jubilee, the QM2 had a giant banner stating "Congratulations Ma'am". I thought that was classy. :)

Edited by brigittetom