Potty trained for pool

AmandaEnzo

I got my daughter potty trained in time for our cruise this Tuesday. Thank goodness!!!

However, I feel like its a good idea for her to wear pull ups until we get the layout everything. Also, she's used to me helping her so it's probably a better idea for her to use them in CC at least in the beginning.

I'm confident going into the pool with her because she always tells me when she needs to go.

What I'm wondering is how it will be perceived by Carnival employees. I've read a lot of mothers taking the diaper of their kid and chancing it in the pool. Since pull ups look like diapers will they think I'm doing that?

I might talk to guest services when I arrive. But getting thoughts here would be helpful.

Wouldn't want to get thrown out of the pool! :eek:

Carnival employees probably won't look twice at you. It's fellow passengers that you'll be getting looks from. How will anyone know your child is wearing pullups when she's not in the pool anyway? I'd change her into her bathing suit in your room, then go to the pool, and back to the room when you're done swimming. Of course if you plan on being in and out of the pool all day, that won't work, but if that's the case, I'd chance her not wearing a pull up at all when she's in her bathing suit. (Editing for clarity - I'm assuming you won't be putting your child in the pool in any kind of diaper. A regular pull up will just bulk up with water in the pool and possibly burst. Swim diapers don't absorb anything, they're only meant to contain poop while swimming.)

Just as an aside, we found the best time to use the pool with kids was early in the morning, right after breakfast. There was no one in the pool yet, and we'd get a good hour in, from about 9-10, and the lido wasn't crazy yet. Less people to give you the side eye at that time. ;-)

Edited by irishnyc

Hey good for you! I know potty training is a job. I am thinking though that they might say "if you aren't SURE your daughter is potty trained you can't go in" so I really don't have an answer perhaps with a few more days you'll know for sure. Good Luck

I wouldn't put her in the pool with a pull-up on. The employees will irresponsibly ignore it. But your fellow cruisers will notice. If you aren't 100% sure she can handle being in the water without a pull-up, you should just keep her out. That's my advice anyway.

Sorry, I didn't explain correctly. I won't put her in a pull up in a bathing suit. I'm only putting her in a pull up when I get on the ship and she's in regular clothes cause she might tell me she needs to go potty and I may have no clue where the closest bathroom is.

If she's trained well enough, she'll be just fine. A lot of people use pull ups on little ones even after they've gotten the hang of the toilet, especially in unfamiliar locations like on vacation. We did this with my son, and his pull up was always dry, but it was helpful to have it for that moment when he'd holler "I have to go!!!" while we were driving down the highway with no exit in sight!

Have her use the toilet in your room right before changing into her bathing suit, then go have a swim, and back to the room. Also get familiar with where the bathrooms are on the pool deck and make a stop in there before swimming, just to be sure.

If you need to dress her poolside, don't worry one bit about putting on a pullup instead of underpants. She'll be fine.

(And definitely don't worry about Carnival personnel. On our last cruise, I stopped counting how many kids were in the pool in swim diapers right in front of Carnival employees and all the world. They were EVERYWHERE!)

Carnival employees probably won't look twice at you. It's fellow passengers that you'll be getting looks from. How will anyone know your child is wearing pullups when she's not in the pool anyway? I'd change her into her bathing suit in your room, then go to the pool, and back to the room when you're done swimming. Of course if you plan on being in and out of the pool all day, that won't work, but if that's the case, I'd chance her not wearing a pull up at all when she's in her bathing suit. (Editing for clarity - I'm assuming you won't be putting your child in the pool in any kind of diaper. A regular pull up will just bulk up with water in the pool and possibly burst. Swim diapers don't absorb anything, they're only meant to contain poop while swimming.)

Just as an aside, we found the best time to use the pool with kids was early in the morning, right after breakfast. There was no one in the pool yet, and we'd get a good hour in, from about 9-10, and the lido wasn't crazy yet. Less people to give you the side eye at that time. ;-)

That's a great suggestion. I'll definitely change her in my room and try morning swimming.

Figured employees might have an eye out for which kids are wearing diapers, so parents don't chance things, idk. :confused:

Sorry, I didn't explain correctly. I won't put her in a pull up in a bathing suit. I'm only putting her in a pull up when I get on the ship and she's in regular clothes cause she might tell me she needs to go potty and I may have no clue where the closest bathroom is.

I misunderstood then. I totally get putting them on her during times like you mentioned. She's just learning and even once they're good at it, they can have accidents from being excited and/or in unfamiliar places. I know I get excited when I first board the ship!!! Enjoy your family vacation!

I should also add, sometimes she's adamant about wearing them cause it has Minnie Mouse on them. She still uses the potty normally.

If she has a very pretty swimsuit (Maybe Minnie?) she may be better with wearing the swimsuit without them. Only you know if your child can go without it or not. I agree that as long as she isn't wearing a pull-up or swim diaper type thing under the swimsuit that no one will notice. I have to admit I would be one to look if I saw one of those in the pool when it's prohibited. Even though I bet some of the adults have accidents in there as well, especially after a few adult beverages. :D

Hey good for you! I know potty training is a job. I am thinking though that they might say "if you aren't SURE your daughter is potty trained you can't go in" so I really don't have an answer perhaps with a few more days you'll know for sure. Good Luck

Thank you!!! Yes, this was A LOT of work! Been training for over a month and I'm pretty much a stay at home mom so there's been a ton of time spent on it.

We have a dance, family claps for her, chocolates, ice cream, you name it, lol. I feel very confident that she will tell me.

I misunderstood then. I totally get putting them on her during times like you mentioned. She's just learning and even once they're good at it, they can have accidents from being excited and/or in unfamiliar places. I know I get excited when I first board the ship!!! Enjoy your family vacation!

Thank you!!!

If she has a very pretty swimsuit (Maybe Minnie?) she may be better with wearing the swimsuit without them. Only you know if your child can go without it or not. I agree that as long as she isn't wearing a pull-up or swim diaper type thing under the swimsuit that no one will notice. I have to admit I would be one to look if I saw one of those in the pool when it's prohibited. Even though I bet some of the adults have accidents in there as well, especially after a few adult beverages.

Sorry, I meant she's sometimes adamant about wearing them instead of underwear. She won't wear anything under a swimsuit.

I will say that the use of swim diapers although not allowed is not enforced. You'll find them on many of the kids in the kiddie pool and some in the other pools. So, you could take swim diapers if you want as a backup.

If you want to remove it, which I understand, there are bathrooms very near the pools if you want to change her in there. If you choose the kiddie pool there is a rest room just inside the door near the entrance to camp carnival.

Ok, sorry but I will say what most people are thinking.

Just take your daughter to the kids pool. That's what it is there for. They will have more fun walking around in the shallow water anyway and playing with other kids their age.

That's a great idea!!! Much better. I didn't know they had a kids pool on the splendor. I know they have a splash park and I will definitely take her to that. I would think that they had to be trained for even the splash park and employees wouldn't allow her to go in it if they saw her in a pull up (before I changed her out of it) thinking she wasn't potty trained.

I'm paranoid, lol. :rolleyes:

Edited by AmandaEnzo

Sorry, I meant she's sometimes adamant about wearing them instead of underwear. She won't wear anything under a swimsuit.

I had the same problem with my daughter. We probably bought 6 or 7 different kinds of "real" underwear before she found some she liked better than the pull-ups. She would pick them out then after I had them home and washed she wouldn't wear them. :(

I will say that the use of swim diapers although not allowed is not enforced. You'll find them on many of the kids in the kiddie pool and some in the other pools. So, you could take swim diapers if you want as a backup.

If you want to remove it, which I understand, there are bathrooms very near the pools if you want to change her in there. If you choose the kiddie pool there is a rest room just inside the door near the entrance to camp carnival.

Thank you.

I had the same problem with my daughter. We probably bought 6 or 7 different kinds of "real" underwear before she found some she liked better than the pull-ups. She would pick them out then after I had them home and washed she wouldn't wear them.

Kids are funny. Meanwhile, we are offending everyone on the ship cause they think they aren't potty trained, lol. :rolleyes:

We use them at night but my daughter knows we have them, lol.

Edited by AmandaEnzo

That's a great idea!!! Much better. I didn't know they had a kids pool on the splendor. I know they have a splash park and I will definitely take her to that. I would think that they had to be trained for even the splash park and employees wouldn't allow her to go in it if they saw her in a pull up (before I changed her out of it) thinking she wasn't potty trained.

I'm paranoid, lol. :rolleyes:

There isn't any kids pool on the Splendor. No employee was ever watching the splash park, although they probably could have used some when we were there in the summer. I wouldn't even blink at a kid in the splash park in a pull-up. The water is constantly moving and being drained.

ok lets me honest here, how many potty broke adults should we also be on the look out for in the pools. $50.00 per day unlimited drinks makes for alot of need to go. We just returned last week and there were always littles ones with swimmers and just diapers in the hot tub.:)