Viking Neptune River cruise: Paris & Normandy

cruisin231

Has anyone taken this river cruise? We are going in March and are unsure of what extras to add to the included excursion. The Viking page for day to day detailed itinerary is not updated... any advice would be appreciated, we want to make sure the excursions they offer are fulfilling.

Hi. We used Avalon last year on this itinerary. Avalon and Viking operate in a similar fashion, there are 1/2 day tours included in the price, and then you have an option to purchase additional 1/2 day afternoon tours after lunch. The Normandy tour is an entire day and included. Check out this thread for more information. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1792931&highlight=paris+normandy

Any questions, I will be happy to try to help

We have never done a river cruise, and really are not sure what to expect with the "included" excursions. I am just hoping that they give us quality time and experiences at the sights and not just a drive by. I have heard different stories about included admission to the Louvre and have emailed Viking for the details, still waiting to find out.

After taking this cruise, did you feel like you missed out on anything or wished that you would have booked additional excursions? I know my husband wants to go to Versailles, not sure if we wait to book it on the cruise or find something private.

Thank you Got2Cruise for all your help. :)

The beauty of the River Cruise, especially this particular itinerary, is that you are docked right in the middle of each town! Our particular sailing was a little different because of Bastile Day, but basically you have plenty of time to see and do everything. Of course, with anything you always wish you had more time, but unless you have all the time in the world. . . .

The tour guides are all very knowledgeable. I can't speak about the Viking tour guides, but not once have I read about anyone complaining about the tour guides from Viking.

The Normandy D-Day Tour will be top notch, don't worry. There are tour guides whose specialty is Normandy D-Day, they are more like historians. This is the only tour that the drive is long. But it is an all-day tour.

I do hope that you are planning a pre or post cruise stay in Paris itself. The one little tour they give you is simply an overview. You need to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, go to the Louvre to Mona Lisa,(my opinion), walk through the Latin Quarter and go to Notre Dame and Ground Zero where Paris all began.

The extra tours we paid for, and I'm not sure if Viking offers the same exact ones, is a 1/2 day visit to Honfleur, and a visit to Versailles. Yes, I wish we had more time in these places, but since we were in the area, I figured let's go and see it. And it was worth it because there was no fuss, no muss. We also took a half day tour to Montemarte, which is kinda of tricky to get to on your own.

For the Louvre, and Eiffel Tower, you need to read up on how to get tickets to "beat the line" or simply book with Viking or arrange a tour for your pre/post stay. But book it as soon as you can, these things fill up fast. I'm still mad that I didn't book the "skip the line to climb to the top of Notre Dame" and see the gargoyles up close.

Has anyone taken this river cruise? We are going in March and are unsure of what extras to add to the included excursion. The Viking page for day to day detailed itinerary is not updated... any advice would be appreciated, we want to make sure the excursions they offer are fulfilling.

We did this cruise last June. It was the nicest of the three Viking cruises we were on. The tour of Rouen was wonderful, with a very knowledgeable guide. Giverny was special also and probably better for you as not as crowded in March. I found the trip to Omaha beach and the American cemetery extremely moving. However you are given a choice between going there and to the British and Canadian landing area but cannot do both. Some people were disappointed in that.

It was a very leisurely trip, which we appreciated and the food was wonderful. Being from South Louisiana we are both of French heritage and that maybe made us a little biased.