CARES Harness System ???

Ashland

Has any one used a CARES Harness system to fly with a child 17 mos old ? We don't want to take a carseat with us as we won't need one during our Alaska northbound cruise...using large transfer bus from airport - ship and ship - airport...We were considering taking him as a inlap infant on the outbound shorter flight and booking a seat for him on the longer return flight...but have been getting warned about doing him as an inlap infant on the CC CruiseAir boards...please help !!!

Flights are outbound BUR-SEA 2hr. 35 min... connecting in SEA then a 55min flight SEA-YVR.

If you look at it in person it's basically harness straps with no crotch strap. If you have an active child, they will simply slip out the bottom.

Parent will be sitting on either side..I'm assuming this would be for takeoff/landing...Yes we have a CARES Harness.

I have not personally used one (DD was a lap child for about 9 flights when she was under 1 & we haven't flown with her since), but my best friend has used it for her son for a couple of years. She is a big fan and has recommended to me. She said it is easy to travel with & DS stayed in his seat with it. Since DD's next flight won't be until she is 3, I may not get one (but would have if I had flown with her between 1 and 3 years).

I have not personally used one (DD was a lap child for about 9 flights when she was under 1 & we haven't flown with her since), but my best friend has used it for her son for a couple of years. She is a big fan and has recommended to me. She said it is easy to travel with & DS stayed in his seat with it. Since DD's next flight won't be until she is 3, I may not get one (but would have if I had flown with her between 1 and 3 years).

Thank you so very much for your response....I'm hoping this all works out well...as it seems like a great harness system to fly with..much more portable than the carseat option...for children of this age.

We have used it and works great. We flew with kids on lap before age 2 and cares harness after. Car seats are a pain on the plane. We did it once and never again. If you lap infant check out the baby b'air flight vest. Helps for turbulence. Or bring a carrier, you just have to unhook strap ( but not remove them completely) at take off and landing.

We purchased one to fly with our 2 year old, so he would feel as if he were in a car seat, and be less inclined to want to move all around the seats during flight. Worked like a charm. We've used it a few times since (he's 4.5 now) and he is tickled that he gets his own special harness. Win-win for us, easy and small to carry along, provides extra safety, and keeps him contained :) We've been lucky enough to not have to travel with a car seat yet!

Not sure if you're aware, but when we were deciding on the purchase, there were also ones available for rent online for much less (I want to say less than $20). That's an option if you want to test it out and not be out $75 (or however much they cost - it was a while ago for us now) if it doesn't work for your child.

I had one. My kiddo just wiggled out of it and cried. Next flight, I brought a carseat--so very much better. For us, it was a huge waste of money.

This!! I rented a CARES harness off of ebay for our flight to San Juan but had to leave it at home (wasted money) because our ride backed out at the last minute and we had to take the airport shuttle (which requires a carseat). I'm actually happy it worked out this way though and also happy that I did not book my then 1 week shy of 2 year old as a lapbaby because she wanted to get out of her seat constantly and this is why I thanked God for her carseat.

If I'd put her in the CARES harness she would've simply slipped out of the bottom and it would've been a disaster. Also, the seats on the planes are so big and coupled with the harness I'd imagine it's not very comfortable for a toddler to sleep. She sat in her own carseat in her own seat (window seat) on the flight and it was the most convenient and comfortable for us.

I had family with us but I carried most of our things by myself (2 big suitcases, 1 packback, 1 toddler in a FY Ignite stroller, and 1 Graco 75 carseat). Some kind strangers had to help me with debarking off the ship (since they disabled the elevators) but we eventually made it off and it can be done. Hook the suitcases together and strap the carseat to the outer suitcase or let the LO walk (I also had a harness backpack for this purpose but I know some people don't like them) and strap the carseat to the stroller.

Also, be sure to pack lots and lots of snacks and toys/activities. Ultimately what worked for some of us might not work for you. No one knows your child better than you. If you know baby is a busy body and will probably be kicking and screaming to get down and run/walk up and down the aisles then he/she may not be ready for the CARES harness just yet. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Edited by ShanteS