Question about Unlimited Drink Package

trishb13

My husband and I will be on the Liberty of the Seas in a couple of weeks and we are trying to decide if we should purchase this package. We both like cocktails and I am the wine drinker. During the day it would be nice to have options of beer as well. I guess the real question is does this package compare apples to apples and if it is worth the price. Is it a limit of what can be ordered on it in a day's time. I saw it also includes specialty coffees, juices, sodas and bottle water. Let me know if you have purchased this and found it well worth the cost. I have check RCCL website but I didn't see if there were any restrictions on amount of alcohol purchased for the day.

Thanks

My husband and I will be on the Liberty of the Seas in a couple of weeks and we are trying to decide if we should purchase this package. We both like cocktails and I am the wine drinker. During the day it would be nice to have options of beer as well. I guess the real question is does this package compare apples to apples and if it is worth the price. Is it a limit of what can be ordered on it in a day's time. I saw it also includes specialty coffees, juices, sodas and bottle water. Let me know if you have purchased this and found it well worth the cost. I have check RCCL website but I didn't see if there were any restrictions on amount of alcohol purchased for the day.

Thanks

I've not tried it so I can't tell you if it is worth it however I do know that there is not a daily limit on drinks.

I was on the Allure in May 2013 and did the drink package that included the premium. It was me, my wife and my mother. We bought the drink packages several months before the cruise so it was nice to get it out of the way early and not have to worry about it. As for using it on the ship, it was awesome. We didn't have to worry about trying to keep track of the expenses and so on. I'm back on the Allure in Nov 2014 and will be buying my drink packages sometime this Summer.

I did a beverage package on Celebrity last year and, curious about whether it was worth it, I actually kept a running tally of the value of everything I drank each day, to compare it to what I was paying for the package. I had the highest-level package, which cost about $50/day at the time (going from memory here...numbers might be off slightly).

First, some caveats: While I had the package, I drank whenever and whatever I wanted, including specialty coffees, bottled water, sodas, and extra-fancy mixed drinks that I would never have splurged on if I were paying ala carte. So what I consumed on the package doesn't correspond exactly to what I would have drunk without the package, but it does correspond to "what I would have liked to consume but probably wouldn't have" without the package - it allowed me to splurge, and I did. And keep in mind that I have a relatively high tolerance for alcohol, so I got through quite a few cocktails each day.

Those things said, using my $50/day package, I never once consumed less than what would have been $200/day or more if I had paid ala carte. It was not hard to consume that many various beverages spread out over 12 hours of being awake, though I did roll into bed pretty toasted a couple of nights. So as a splurge week for me, it was definitely worth it.

When you're doing your math, try out some rough numbers: assume every alcoholic drink you consume is going to cost you around $6 at a minimum, up to about $15 for very nice stuff. Soft drinks and water, perhaps half that. At that rate, you need to be consuming between 5 and 10 alcoholic drinks over the course of each day, or 10 and 20 soft drinks, or any combination of the two, to justify buying the $65 highest-level RCCL drink package. Now, I'm really bad with numbers, so don't trust my math. I'm sure someone else can do the math better for you - in fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen the math done better in a thread on here just recently - but use that as a guideline: if drinks cost $X, and the package costs $Y, how many $X+tip (don't forget that package includes tip, ala carte doesn't) drinks put you at the break-even point?

At first, I only wanted to get it for me and not my wife but after arguing with RCCL about the policy that everyone in the cabin had to buy the drink package or no one could, we just decided to do it for all 3 of us. My wife and mother were on the fence at first but after crunching the numbers decided it was worth it. RCCL priced it out as buying about $55 a day in drinks so we decided to go for it. I would say it was worth it considering how often we used it and what we used it on. ;)

By the way, the tips are interesting. There is a base tip included with every drink order but you can add an "extra" tip on top of it. You still have to do the paperwork for every drink purchase. The calculation on the included tip was something like 18%. RCCL has already figured this into the weekly cost of the package so you can use your card and not feel guilty because the bartenders will get the standard 18% tip just as if you had not done the drink package. On a large scale, RCCL probably makes their money on these drink packages and the employees get their tips.

CruiseeCrazee, you really know your math and I just shared you reply with my DH and he said that we certainly would tend to drink more having the package verse not having. I like the idea of not having to worry about one day I over done it and then the next day try and compensate because I spent to much the day before. The way I look at it with this you can justify drinking whatever, how many and feel great. It is like being on a all-exclusive vacation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something that I didn't write in my previous post is that I have purchased the drink package for me and DH for our cruise next week. I am fairly certain we will come out even if not ahead especially with the addition of sodas and water. For me though the biggest selling point, which was mentioned by another poster, I believe and that is paying for it ahead of time and not having to worry about the bill at the end of the week. We got the package on our Carnival cruise last year and were very happy with it. :)

We cruised on Mariner Of The Seas in November and hubby and I purchased the Premium Beverage package pre-cruise.

I can definitely recommend it, we aren't big drinkers but we got value from it. If you fancy a cocktail when you embark, you just have one without worrying about cost. A glass of wine with each meal, there was plenty of variety and we enjoyed everything we tried.

Softdrinks, coffee and beers. It was great not having to worry about how much you are spending when you feel like a drink. :)