Travel to Russia by ship?

Norveilex

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this. I'm sorry in advance if it isn't. Is it possible to travel from the USA to Russia by ship? I want to get off and stay in Russia for a while. Has anyone here traveled to Russia this way? What was your experience like?

I doubt you'll find a cruise from the US to Russia, unless you manage to put together back-to-back cruises such as a trans-Atlantic followed by a Baltic cruise.

There are Baltic cruises from places such as England & Copenhagen which include St Petersburg, Black Sea cruises from places like Istanbul which include Sochi, and a few Asia cruises which include Vladivostok.

Some of those cruises stop for just a day, some for two days, the max is 3 days to avoid the need for expensive & complicated visas, which (with provisos) are not needed for those short visits by cruise ship.

A great experience, but you only get a brief look at Russia - for a proper Russian vacation you need to get a visa, fly, & take a land tour or river cruise.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

If what you're looking for is transport one way, then you might want to consider a freighter cruise......they're not a "cruise" in the sense that Carnival or Princess has cruise ships, but they do allow you to travel around the world by ship. Various freighters offer cabins for just 8 or 10 passengers on their ships, and it's basic accommodation and food but (from what I've heard) it can be very relaxing and kind of interesting.

Do a Google search for "freighter cruises" and check out the CC forum specifically for freighter cruises http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=485