Best Mayan Ruins on Belize and Costa Maya.

I will be taking a Western Caribbean cruise on the Explorer calling on Belize and Costa Maya. On one of those two ports I want to visit some good Mayan ruins. Which port has the best ruins? I was looking at the list of excursions offered by RCCL and there are way too many choices! On Belize they have Xunantunich, Lamanai and Cahal Pech. On Costa Maya, Chacehoben, Kohunlich, Chetumal, Dzibanche and Oxtankah. Any suggestions?

Can't speak to Costa Maya.

Even though there were very positive reviews about Lamanai, we opted for Xunantunich in Belize. Admittedly, we've been spoiled by visits to Tulum, Chichen Itza and Uxmal, and these ruins are small. Nonetheless, we enjoyed the visit - climbing the pyramid was fun and a definite must-do IMHO.

If you go, the bus ride is long - make sure you take something to read although there is plenty to see of the countryside, and if you get chilled easily, a sweater or sweatshirt might come in handy. When you get off the bus to cross the river, keep an eye out for iguanas along the riverfront and on logs in the middle of the river. Take water with you - they handed ice cold bottles before we crossed the river and we each took two and were grateful we had them.

By the way - we tendered in Belize. If it is a tender port for you as well, don't sit in the back of the boat unless you want to get soaked. (In our case at least, we were not on ship tenders. We were told the Belizeans required the use of their own tenders, which were high-speed boats.)

P.S. Somewhere on the Celebrity board is a review by a gentleman who goes by the screenname of "chesterh." When they were in Belize, they did Lamanai - do a search by his name for more information.

Regardless of which ruins you choose, have a wonderful time.

We lived in Belize for a while and taught SCUBA at a resort in the Stann Creek District. If you opt for Xunantinich be aware that the city was once the most powerful in the Mayan empire. It is not as heavily developed as many others and not nearly as commercialized as say Tulum or Chichen Itza. Yes the bus ride is a bit long but you get a good look at what Belize is really like. Have a great time.

Kent

Make sure you book something in Belize or you will end up back on the ship. I didn't see anything with in walking distance and didn't feel comfortable walking out side the general shopping area. We were back on the ship after 45mins of walking around and it seems others felt the same way.

On the NCL Sun in Belize a few years ago we did the NCL jungle river cruise/Altun Ha excursion, with lunch included at a local pub. Altun Ha is not a large area, but you could climb the pyramid if you so desired. They had continous ice water available for everyone (it was wicked hot). Combined with the excellent tour guides and the river boat tour, it was a fantastic day.

Your comments definitely makes choosing which ruins to visit a more manageable one!

I agree with Paul regarding Tulum: I was very impressed by the setting by the sea but maybe because I had seen soooo many pictures of it I was expecting a whole lot more.

And thanks for the suggestion about already knowing what to do by the time you get to Belize: a cruise trip is about resting and having a relaxed time but not to waste time or to be bored!

Any other suggestions as to which ruin to visit?

Andres

Archived