help don't know what clothes needed for alaska

:confused: We are leaving for an alaskan cruise on July 31. We are not sure what type of clothes to bring for the day. Is it cold? Are shorts or long pants best. Sandals or sneakers. We aren't hikers we may go on a train ride or into town.

Please help.

We're leaving for our second Alaskan cruise in a couple of weeks. On our last Alaskan cruise (which was also in August) we used everything from shorts and polo shirts one day to heavy jackets and gloves on another day. It also rained so we were in rain gear on yet another day. Basically...layer and plan for a full range of temperature possibilities. You're going to need to take a jacket anyway so you might as well be efficient in your packing and make it a waterproof one.

Have fun in Alaska.

-Steven

I agree with Steven. Layering is the way to go. We were in Alaska for 2 weeks last year in the first half of July. Alaska was having a heat wave! We had temps up to 90! You can put on layers and take them off, and you'll be prepared for anything.

thanks. Did you swim or sit out on the deck?

The kids swam. We were on Legend of the Seas and the pools are in an atrium. Water and the air in atrium area were warm. Spent time on deck and on our balcony. Air temp varied as I previously mentioned but it was even warm enough one day to run on the jogging track in shorts and a tank top. It can be cool on deck when the ship is under way.

-Steven

We went the last of July and had great weather. It was in the 70's most of the time and no rain. I agree that you should wear layered clothes and by all means take a light rain jacket. The mornings are usually cool and evenings too. I saw some wearing shorts but I wouldn't take a lot of them. Wouldn't hurt to take one or two pair just in case it gets warmer. It was a wonderful trip and by all means take the train in Skagway. That was the highlight of our trip. Also we missed the whale watching excursion and I guess they saw lots and lots of whales.

Prepare for any type of weather! We were there for 13 days in May 2003, and had temperatures from 85 degrees in Fairbanks to 20 degrees while cruising thru Glacier National Park. I remember being on deck looking at the glaciers with a winter coat, gloves, hat, and mittens and still be cold! Had to go indoors to have hot chocoalte. Depending on what area you will be in, prepare for all types of weather. Enjoy your trip! It was the best trip my DH and I have been on and we will do it again someday.

We did the inside passage on Infinity in July of 2002. I didn't wear shorts at all except to work out. It was cool to cold the whole trip. We even had sprinkles of snow one day. If your ship goes up to the glacier, it will be very cold and you'll need a hat and gloves. I must agree with all the previous posters, layering is the best way to dress. In one of the ports (I belive it was Katchican) it was a slow drizzle the whole day. Apparently, this is typical summer weather. So, pack a poncho, too.

Our pool was in a Solariam, so all our swimming was done indoors. By all means, bring your swim suit.

Alaska was a delight. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

When we went to Seattle last March, I bought a couple sets of cashmere "long johns" (shirt & pants) at Dillard's (probably available in other department stores also - intimate apparel) to wear on the cold days. They are very thin so they can be packed easily but extremely warm. I wore them under jeans and a sweater when we hiked around Olympic Penninsula and was very toasty. I'm planning on bringing them when I cruise in Alaska next summer. Even if I don't need them, they don't take up much space.

I'm from Texas so I get cold very easily. Someone who is used to the cold may get too warm wearing the long johns under several layers.

We just got back...this is what we wore each day (50-60's):

bottom layer: t-shirt/polo or long sleeve t-shirt

next layer: hooded sweatshirt or lightweight fleece jacket

top layer: lightweight windbreaker or rain jacket

jeans

tennis shoes

You will not need a heavy jacket unless it's cooler than this. You may want to bring some lightweight gloves and a visor or cap.

If it were a bit warmer, I would just wear shorts instead of the jeans, and bring sweatshirt or jacket. You'll want a backpack for your binoculars, and that will come in handy if you need to remove a layer of clothing. We wore shorts and t-shirts on the ship the last day. Bring your swimsuit. It is very warm in the solarium, and it may be nice enough for the outside pool. The hot tubs are also great when it's cool.

It is fairly warm inside the ship. My daughter wore sleeveless and was comfortable. I also wore sleeveless, but wore a jacket or wrap. Husband and son were comfortable in polos and their suits.

I would highly recommend packing as light as possible. The Alaska cruise is very casual.

We finished a cruise tour in June and over packed on the dress clothes. We thought we would use a couple of pairs of dress pants and my wife brought a couple skirts, dress pants etc… but the ship had two formal nights and the rest were casual. We ended up eating in the Windjammer a couple of times and did both formal nights and a couple of casual nights. And if you’re doing a land tour you don’t need any dress or casual cloths.

What worked were a light spring jacket and a waterproof, windproof golf pullover. You can use them together or separately. These worked for almost every day. My wife brought a pair of thin cotton gloves and headband which worked when the weather was cold. (Hubbard Glacier early am)

I had a couple of light weight short sleeve causal collared shirts that worked for the dinners and you could wear a tee shirt under it. (Long or short)

We wore jeans everyday except for the dinners. I would recommend limited formal wear and dinner wear and more on casual. And if you’re going on the land portion after, I recommend having the ship launder your jeans. It was $3 a pair but worth it as we didn't have to bring an extra pair each. (jeans are heavy)

Example in Fairbanks on the land portion at 6am it was 41 degrees and by time we got back to the lodge it was 73 degrees at 5pm.

I agree with webski, try to cut back on clothing for evening dining. We also went to the Windjammer one night. Went to Portofino and Chops two other nights...dress is smart casual. Formal dress was noticably more casual than caribbean cruises I've been on.

Archived