Portobelo, Ft San Lorenzo or Panama City

TraceyP

I'm still hoping to get more information on tours from Colon. My husband is most interested in the canal / locks.

So do you recommend we take a tour to the Gatun Locks in conjunction with:

Portobelo

Ft San Lorenzo

Panama City (Colonial City and former canal zone)

Also any thoughts on the New Locks Construction site in conjunction with the above?

Thank you.

I am at a bit of a disadvantage not knowing how the tours would be constructed and are you on a full/partial transit cruise or just a port call in Colon? A tour to Gatun Locks could certainly include a stop at the construction site of the new Atlantic Locks if that is specifically offered as they are very nearby. Ft. San Lorenzo is reasonably close to Gatun Locks to be included with a stop at the construction site. I am not so sure if they would include the construction site for the new locks if your other destinations would be either Portobelo or Panama City as they would require more travel time to and from.

Not knowing where your interests lie, in very broad brush terms I would consider Ft. San Lorenzo and Portobleo in the pre-colonial period and Panama City a blend of Colonial and modern. The former Canal Zone may be of interest if any of your family had worked for the Canal or perhaps stationed there while they were in the military.