Port and cruise advice/choice help

babyclaytonmom

Every summer my son (11) and I take a Carnival cruise. Torn between 2 very different ones for this summer. Ironically the cruises plus each of their expenses (flight for 1, driving for the other) come out to be within a $100 of each other. I would love your input if you have done either one of these cruises/ships or think any of these ports are ones not to miss. We live in Tampa. Freedom out Ft. Lauderdale is more expensive, is 1 extra day, 1 less port and we would drive. Valor out of San Juan is cheaper, 1 less day but 1 extra port.

Freedom 8 days- from Ft. Lauderdale- Grand Turk (went here last summer), Dominican Republic, Curaco, Aruba. The last 3 we havent been to.

Valor 7 days- from San Juan (went here last summer)- St. Thomas (went here last summer), Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Marteen. The last 4 we havent been to.

Any input would be appreciated

We did the Freedom cruise last year with that itinerary and we loved it.I also loved the Freedom ship and staff.That being said I too am looking at the Valor out of Puerto Rico because that has a few islands that I have not yet cruised to.But personally the more days that I am on a cruise the happier I am.

Usually I am all for longer cruises, but I think of Curaçao and Aruba being more "adult"...no reason why. :rolleyes:

With that said, if you can swing an extra day in San Juan to take your son ziplining in the rain forest, it's almost like an extra port day.

Have fun whichever you choose. Btw, I think it would be great to take your child somewhere new.,:D

I would say freedom .. I have been to Aruba a couple years ago and it was amazing the other ports I'm unsure about . Im actually sailing June 22nd with that itinerary as well . Barbados and St Marteen I have been too and really enjoyed it , yet that was years ago and a lot could have changed .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone. Still wondering if any of the ports we havent been to are "must" sees or especially fun ones for a kid???? Since we live 30 min. from beautiful beaches, beaches arent the only draw for us. Had we not just been to San Juan last year and done the rainforest and forts, I definitely think that would be a + for the Valor.

We did the Freedom cruise last year with that itinerary and we loved it.I also loved the Freedom ship and staff.That being said I too am looking at the Valor out of Puerto Rico because that has a few islands that I have not yet cruised to.But personally the more days that I am on a cruise the happier I am.

I second this. We have been on the Freedom twice and loved the ship and crew. Looking forward to sailing her again after the 2.0 upgrades. Did the 8 day southern and itinerary was one of the best cruises we've done so far.