St. Petersburg on Sept 8, 2005

Hi,

Although our ship, Costa Atlantica, spends only 1 day in St. Petersburg, I am wondering if any other ship spends September 8th in the city as well, perhaps as part of a longer visit?

Would it be a good idea to try and find people on other ships to share an independent St. Petersburg tour with us? Also, would it be a OK to share a tour with people that plan to tour for 2 days, while we can do only 1 day?

Thanks

Hi,

I recently got back from St Pete and 1 day was great. We did a private tour (10 hours) for 2 people with 5 attractions. we had a driver and a tour guide that came in with us and explained everything to us. Wonderful. we paid $600.00 for the day. But we were with them for 10 hours. Well worth it.

The company was Denrus. check out their website. There are other tour guides in Russia that might be as good like Red October but I recently found out that they have a scam going with people paying in US $ to take photos in the Palaces and museums.

My guide told us that there was a fee and we went inside and paid in rubles. It was usually 20 rubles which is under $2.00. Red october was charging $5.00. Not good. The tour guides on the ship tours also do this. Again a scam they have going. I brought it to the attention of my cruise line and they are looking into it.

You might also check the web site http://www.alla-tour.com

Alla is a fully credentialed guide in St. P. You can tour with her and a driver without a visa and she can design whatever tour you want. She is flexible and very professional, reliable and personable. We used her as a guide in July and know others who also did so and were very pleased. The best part about booking her as your guide is that you know exactly who your guide will be. She sends you paperwork to go thru passport control and she and the driver are waiting on the dock for you. She accompanies you into the sights and provides guide services inside each one. We highly recommend her.

Carol,

This is outrageous, to overcharge even on cameras! Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure we buy photo/video tickets ourselves, no matter who we tour with.

I find it difficult to justify paying over twice as much for a day of independent touring than touring with the ship. I realize that if we get ship's tour we would be in a big group, wouldn't see as many attractions (2 major ones + city tour), and most likely have to stay in long lines. However, for about the same amount of time, 9 1/2 hours, Costa charges not only less than half the price, but includes lunch in a restaurant!

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is it still worth it to get an independent tour for 2 people in St. Petersburg? Or maybe, other ships charge more for similar tours and that's why an independent tour seems better then?

It Is True That The Private Tours Cost More For Just 2 People. However $600 Sounds Very High. But, It Was For 10 Hours With 5 Sites. I Think It Would Be Worth It To Check It Out Because I Think You Will Find You Can Do A Full 8 Hour Day Of Touring And It Will Be Quite A Bit Cheaper Than $600. I Have Done It By Ship Tour And Privately And I Would Not Do A Ship Tour In St. P Again. You Can Cover More Ground And See More In A Much More Enjoyable Fashion When You Are On A Private Tour.

Have you tried to find people to share from your cruise roll call. I would not try to share with another ship. You never know what time you will get off the ship. St. Petersberg is the only port where we had to go through customs. Last year we shared with 2 other couples I met on the boards and I believe it was $600 total for the 2 of us for 2 days - One of which was 10 hours. We went with Red October and loved them. We met ahead of time and got off the ship together. I think I would be nervous if I planned with someone on another ship, and that ship was late. I've also heard some cruise lines try to get ship excursions off before the independents. Not a problem for us on Celebrity, but what if the people on the other ship get off late because of some problem you will be ready to go and each minute will seem like hours.

No one in our group took pictures inside the museums and the tour guide never asked if we wanted to take pictures, so it was not an issue. If you let every little thing bother you, you will not enjoy the trip.

We saw a lot in the first day, and that should be enough. The second day we spent quite a bit of the time on the road and in traffic (I think it was to Catherines Palace ($15 extra for early opening time, talk about a rip-off). Then we had lunch with a Russian family ($15 extra a person) - which you could skip. I would skip the gold room in the Hermitage. A Russian guide described everything in detail in Russian and then our guide had to interpret. I found this tedious. We paid $15 extra a person for the gold room. I would also bring lunch from the ship. Then you can eat in the van. (Don't forget to pack plastic bags).

You will get a lot more info on this on the Baltic Boards.

Enjoy,

Ellen

My husband and I used Denrus last year for a 2 day St Petersburg tour. It was wonderful and the only, only, only, way I would try to see the area. You will see more, wait in fewer lines, stop when you want and eat where and when you want. St Petersburg is a unique city - do it justice and get a private guide.

Archived