Denali Shuttle Bus time - accurate and punctual?

CallieS

We will be in Denali at the beginning of June. We think we want to book a shuttle bus through Denali, and I was looking at the schedules. We need to leave Denali at 2pm, so that leaves our shuttle options very limited (down to one option :o) And within that option, if we want to turn around at Toklat, the shuttle is supposed to arrive at 8:20am and the next shuttle departs at 8:40am. Do you think we'd make the connection? Gosh, sounds like a flight. Our other option is to turn around at Polychrome which would give us lots of leeway. Or not take a shuttle bus at all. But that would be a bummer.

Edited by CallieS

I think I found my answer. The return shuttle I had been looking at is a camper bus, which I don't think I can use if I'm not camping. If that's the case, then this is all a moot point, and I won't be able to use any shuttle because they won't get be back before 2:00pm. :(

I also found an answer that the return shuttles, if not your original shuttle that you got on in the morning, will only take you back if they have empty seats, so you may or may not get on. Too risky for a tight timeline. :(:(

Sorry, this is not an option for you. Shuttle buses leave on time from the Wilderness Access Center, but are NOT timely on the return, and no body on the bus is going to want a shortened transit. You can not count on an exact time for any shuttle bus return. I've been on shuttle buses, including last year that pulled in a 1/2 hour late.

We will be in Denali at the beginning of June. We think we want to book a shuttle bus through Denali, and I was looking at the schedules. We need to leave Denali at 2pm, so that leaves our shuttle options very limited (down to one option :o) And within that option, if we want to turn around at Toklat, the shuttle is supposed to arrive at 8:20am and the next shuttle departs at 8:40am. Do you think we'd make the connection? Gosh, sounds like a flight. Our other option is to turn around at Polychrome which would give us lots of leeway. Or not take a shuttle bus at all. But that would be a bummer.

I assume the reason that you have to be back by 2PM is that you are either on a cruisetour and have to make the train or you are on a bus tour.

Yet another reason to rent a car and make it a DIY - schedule flexibility.

DON

How early do you mean when you say "early June"? I assume on/after June 8th since camper buses really don't start until then.

I absolutely disagree with the above information. How many of the posters on this thread have been on camper buses, and especially this first morning departure from Wonder Lake? I have been on it more times than I can count on two hands.

1 - you CAN take a camper bus with a shuttle bus ticket. You just can't start at the WAC on a camper bus unless you are camping. But after it leaves the WAC, it is fair game to anyone with a camper or shuttle bus ticket if there are open seats. It is included in the "any green bus" that shuttle bus ticket holders may board.

2 - shuttle bus times on the schedule are the EARLIEST times they will depart from those stops. They are required to wait until those times and not depart earlier (occasionally a driver violates this rule, but it is very rare). They might be late. But if you switch to the earliest camper bus that departs Wonder Lake about 6.30am it is scheduled to arrive at the WAC at 11.20am. Even if it is two hours late it will be back by 2pm. That is a very dependable arrival time for the most part. It goes directly from Wonder Lake to the WAC (not through Kantishna) and besides those who board at Wonder Lake it generally only picks up backcountry campers (day trippers won't be too far into the park yet as you see from the schedule you looked at). It is never full either. They make few stops en route for wildlife sightings since most on the bus sleep or chat for a good ways and are not looking for wildlife. Plus, there usually are very few people on this bus, so fewer eyes to spot wildlife. I am often on this bus and have never, ever seen it close to full. Now the camper bus that departs Wonder Lake at 8am is a totally different story - very often that one is full. But not the 6.30am departure.

Also, when you board the bus at the WAC (or better yet at the Tek rest stop), tell your driver that you are planning on taking the camper bus back to the entrance. If your bus is late heading into the park, he will flag down the camper bus so you can transfer to it when it passes.

YES this is VERY doable.

Edited by frugaltravel

genealogyfan - good point about the break downs.

frugaltravel - thank you so much for your first-hand, detailed information. Yes, I was referring to June 8th. This shuttle was the last piece to my vacation planning, and just when I thougt I was done, you've given me more to think about ;):)

Edited by CallieS

How early do you mean when you say "early June"? I assume on/after June 8th since camper buses really don't start until then.

I absolutely disagree with the above information. How many of the posters on this thread have been on camper buses, and especially this first morning departure from Wonder Lake? I have been on it more times than I can count on two hands.

1 - you CAN take a camper bus with a shuttle bus ticket. You just can't start at the WAC on a camper bus unless you are camping. But after it leaves the WAC, it is fair game to anyone with a camper or shuttle bus ticket if there are open seats. It is included in the "any green bus" that shuttle bus ticket holders may board.

2 - shuttle bus times on the schedule are the EARLIEST times they will depart from those stops. They are required to wait until those times and not depart earlier (occasionally a driver violates this rule, but it is very rare). They might be late. But if you switch to the earliest camper bus that departs Wonder Lake about 6.30am it is scheduled to arrive at the WAC at 11.20am. Even if it is two hours late it will be back by 2pm. That is a very dependable arrival time for the most part. It goes directly from Wonder Lake to the WAC (not through Kantishna) and besides those who board at Wonder Lake it generally only picks up backcountry campers (day trippers won't be too far into the park yet as you see from the schedule you looked at). It is never full either. They make few stops en route for wildlife sightings since most on the bus sleep or chat for a good ways and are not looking for wildlife. Plus, there usually are very few people on this bus, so fewer eyes to spot wildlife. I am often on this bus and have never, ever seen it close to full. Now the camper bus that departs Wonder Lake at 8am is a totally different story - very often that one is full. But not the 6.30am departure.

Also, when you board the bus at the WAC (or better yet at the Tek rest stop), tell your driver that you are planning on taking the camper bus back to the entrance. If your bus is late heading into the park, he will flag down the camper bus so you can transfer to it when it passes.

YES this is VERY doable.

There is a lot of good information in this post. I have reversed direction and waited for a passing shuttle bus to get a ride and it doesn't matter which sort of shuttle bus happens to come along if there is a seat for you. You get on and ride.

But I would be nervous if I had to catch up with a departing cruise tour and would make sure I had plenty of time to do so.

frugaltravel - thank you so much for your first-hand, detailed information. Yes, I was referring to June 8th. This shuttle was the last piece to my vacation planning, and just when I thougt I was done, you've given me more to think about ;):)

Sorry to give you more to think about! It just bothers me when people post and make assumptions that appear to be fact when they in fact haven't had the personal experience with the situation you are asking about.

Edited by frugaltravel

I assume the reason that you have to be back by 2PM is that you are either on a cruisetour and have to make the train or you are on a bus tour.

That can very easily be an incorrect assumption. Many who camp inside the park are independent travelers who want to be back on that first camper bus so they can catch the train or bus to their next destination, whether it be Anchorage or wherever. Often it has nothing to do with cruisetours or bus tours.

And you know what assume means....

Edited by frugaltravel

That can very easily be an incorrect assumption. Many who camp inside the park are independent travelers who want to be back on that first camper bus so they can catch the train or bus to their next destination, whether it be Anchorage or wherever. Often it has nothing to do with cruisetours or bus tours.

And you know what assume means....

Haha. You and I are on the same wavelength. I was going to say the same exact thing about assuming, I actually had it typed out, then decided to keep my mouth shut.

A 2pm deadline is a 2pm deadline, no matter what reason.

Haha. You and I are on the same wavelength. I was going to say the same exact thing about assuming, I actually had it typed out, then decided to keep my mouth shut.

A 2pm deadline is a 2pm deadline, no matter what reason.

Unfortunately strong personalities come through on this forum, though it is often the case on anonymous bulletin boards like this. People often say things that they would never dare to say to someone in person.

I really hope you will take the shuttle to Toklat. You won't regret it and you really do have plenty of margin for error. If we were always going to plan for the worst possible scenario, we would never fly because "the plane might crash."

Edited by frugaltravel