Celebrity Cruises with 16 Year olds

chelsea_gal

Can anyone tell me what the Senior Teens Program is like on Celebrity Cruises? we have a couple of teenagers going on a family reunion.

We have been with RCCL many times and we know that generally that line is better for all age family group , but this time we "the family" voted for as Celebrity cruise based upon price and itinerary.

The family reunion will be taking place 2015 Easter

We sailed last May on Celebrity Summit with our then 12 year old son. 12 is the age when the kids start in the Teen X Club. He absolutely loved it and made some great friends. It runs from 10 am- 12 noon, then 2-5, and then from 7pm until midnight. That works great because they can share meals with the family. The counselers were great and the activities varied. Dodge Ball, basketball, X Box, scavenger hunts, movies, shows, crafts, theater and swimming just to name a few things. Kept the kids really busy. I was at first concerned about the late hours at night but they were supervised, without being smothered, and the caliber of cruisers on Celebrity is high. The average age of cruisers on Celebrity is 40 plus and he never encountered any issues. There are not a ton of kids which I think makes it so much better because the whole group seems to bond. The older kids who are welcome to come (17 and up) didn't so I liked that he wasn't with older teens. We are going again this May to Bermuda and my son (13) and his 13 year old cousin can't wait. Your girls will love it!

My son preferred celebrity over RCCI - he says he 'just got on better' with the others he met. As they get older I think it's more important that they enjoy chilling out together than partaking of organised activities, I just encouraged him to go initially to the welcome sessions then he just picked out the events he wanted to join in with - pool parties, discos, free arcade etc. Otherwise he sat around the pool with his new friends, lunched in the buffet, watched films together etc.

With there being fewer U18s they seemed to generate a better bond, he's still in regular contact with several 18 months later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have cruised with my now 27 year old son since he was 3, mostly on Celebrity. He just loves Celebrity. He is not a big party animal to begin with, but he always enjoyed just hanging out with us, playing video games on his computer, sleeping late, reading, chilling out at the pool on sea days, and believe it or not even playing board games with his parents:D. You may find that being on a little more laid back cruise will result in some quality family time that you just don't seem to find when the kids are booked up constantly with other activities. Have a great time on your cruise.

If I might offer an alternative view.

First, Celebrity is my wife and my preferred cruise line---for ourselves. We have been on two of the Soltise class ships and Allure (which is the same class as Oasis). Further, I am a recently retired travel agent who has sent many on both class ships.

If your teenagers are kind of quiet and would prefer to read a book or just sun themselves, Celebrity is for them. If your teenagers are active, the Oasis class is for them and maybe you.

Consider the following things that Oasis class ships have that Celebrity does not have. All the below items are free.

1) Ice rink with open skating and free skate use.

2) Zip line

3) Surfing machine(actually there are two of them)

4) Merry-go-round

5) Flash dance with classes all week to train for it.

6) Swimming pools/hot tubs open 24 hours a day

7) Entertainment day and night far above Celebrity.

8) Reservations for entertainment that you can make before embarkation day.

Have a great time.

I agree with the posters above who have actually cruised with teens on Celebrity. We are booked on the Silhouette for Christmas with our 2 DD's who will be 13 and 18. This will be their 5th time on Celebrity. They love Celebrity. Believe it or not, I think they actually enjoy getting away from non-stop hyperstimulation and technology. On our last cruise on the Silhouette, our older DD was 16. She had a great time just hanging out with other teens she met onboard. They sometimes did the organized activities, but more often they just went off on their own to get something to eat, hang around, talk, play cards or board games, etc. If your teens are like mine, they are very overscheduled at home between school, sports, extracurricular activities, etc. My kids love sea days.:)