Q. concerning RC VISA OBC

MrsPete

Here's a tricky question concerning OBC:

I have some points on my RC VISA card that will expire soon. I've been racking up some serious points because my daughter's college ONLY accepts credit card payments for tuition, and the RC VISA card is the only one in my wallet that they accept. I have about $350 in OBC, and even though it's "free money", it's MY "free money".

I'm not cruising soon (too many other trips on my plate), but I don't want to see these points expire! Will either of these "plots" allow me to keep my points?

1. Call the credit card people, cash in the points, but have them assigned to the Next Cruise Credit I already own. I don't know if they do this, but if so, it'd be perfect.

2. Go ahead and schedule a cruise . . . but do so knowing that I'll end up changing the date of the cruise. I'm 99% sure of which ship we'll sail, and I figure the worst thing that could happen is that we'd be forced to get a refund. I understand this would mean paying the downpayment, but I'm willing to have them "hold" $1000 in downpayment if it means keeping my $350 in OBC. I'm not making that kind of interest off my savings account.

I'm not sure either of these is even possible, but I don't want to see valuable OBC disappear into thin air. And if you have other ideas, I'm open to them.

Thanks!

Here's a tricky question concerning OBC:

I have some points on my RC VISA card that will expire soon. I've been racking up some serious points because my daughter's college ONLY accepts credit card payments for tuition, and the RC VISA card is the only one in my wallet that they accept. I have about $350 in OBC, and even though it's "free money", it's MY "free money".

I'm not cruising soon (too many other trips on my plate), but I don't want to see these points expire! Will either of these "plots" allow me to keep my points?

1. Call the credit card people, cash in the points, but have them assigned to the Next Cruise Credit I already own. I don't know if they do this, but if so, it'd be perfect.

2. Go ahead and schedule a cruise . . . but do so knowing that I'll end up changing the date of the cruise. I'm 99% sure of which ship we'll sail, and I figure the worst thing that could happen is that we'd be forced to get a refund. I understand this would mean paying the downpayment, but I'm willing to have them "hold" $1000 in downpayment if it means keeping my $350 in OBC. I'm not making that kind of interest off my savings account.

I'm not sure either of these is even possible, but I don't want to see valuable OBC disappear into thin air. And if you have other ideas, I'm open to them.

Thanks!

I'd book a specific cruise with your Next Cruise certificate. Once the cruise is booked, then redeem the points for OBC and apply to this cruise. If you change the cruise, the OBC stays with the booking. Don't ever cancel the booking, else you will lose the OBC.

By using the Next Cruise certificate, you are still only paying $100pp for the deposit.

I would do what Bob said, however I called them the other day and was told that you can redeem them even if you don't have a cruise booked.

You would put N/A in where it asks for the reservation number. Then you have 6 months to apply it to a cruise.

All that said, Bob's way sounds better to me.

Yes, I agree -- Bob's a genius. I'd forgotten that a Next Cruise requires only a small deposit. I'm definitely willing to "put up" $100 x 2 people to avoid losing $350 in OBC, even if it's held a couple years.

Thanks for the help!

I would do what Bob said, however I called them the other day and was told that you can redeem them even if you don't have a cruise booked.

You would put N/A in where it asks for the reservation number. Then you have 6 months to apply it to a cruise.

All that said, Bob's way sounds better to me.

Except that there is no space for the booking number? Generally, we have been adding it in the comments section. I agree that it is probably better to have it assigned to a cruise rather than floating around somewhere. :D

I'm new to the RC Visa card. After how long do points expire?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

5 years (60 months) after they are earned, they will start dropping off if you haven't assigned them to a sailing.

:)

Except that there is no space for the booking number? Generally, we have been adding it in the comments section. I agree that it is probably better to have it assigned to a cruise rather than floating around somewhere. :D

5 years (60 months) after they are earned, they will start dropping off if you haven't assigned them to a sailing.

:)

They said to put N/A in somewhere. Maybe it WAS in the comment section. I just know that when they were telling me this I was thinking that did not sound like such a great idea:rolleyes::eek: I just thought I would mention it here just FYI.