Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Hi James,

Usually the immigration and baggage collection at Changi Airport is quite efficient and fast. Your arrival time and ships departure time makes the timing a little tight, but you should be okay.

Usually on Sunday the traffic is not too bad. But one never knows for sure. If traffic is good, you should make it to the WTC(World Trade Center) Cruise Center in about 50 minutes. I believe the taxi fare should be around 50 to 60 SGD.

I have not been on the tours that you have mentioned, but I am sure some other CC members have and will post their experiences. I have heard comments from pax that they did enjoy these tours though.

Beaches: Some of your ports of call will have beaches at walking distance from the ship. They are quite lovely. Secluded? Well, maybe not secluded, but not overcrowded by any means. They are all you would expect of a tropical paradise beach.

Attire: No need to dress up at night aboard Virgo. Smart casual is fine. But for the Captains Gala and photo taking purposes, you may opt for jacket and tie, although it is not required. Do be aware however, that to enter the Bella Vista dining room at night, they do require shirts with a collar. If you opt to dine at the buffet, you can wear just about anything.

Currency: This is Star Cruises official take on currency.

Currencies

Most foreign currencies are accepted onboard at prevailing exchange rates. The onboard currency will be that of the country where the ship is based (E.g. Singapore dollars for cruises out of Singapore, Hong Kong dollars for cruises out of Hong Kong). Most major credit cards (Amex / Visa / Diners / Masters / JCB) are accepted, along with travellers cheques, but not personal cheques.

During your cruise it is a cashless system. You sign for all purchases with your access card (cabin card key) which is also used as your shipboard I.D. You pay for all your onboard purchases at the end of the cruise with either cash or credit card. Currency exchange aboard ship (any ship) can be at a lower rate than you would get a a bank. I usually go to an ATM while ashore if I need local currency. If you intend to reward your cabin attendants, they will happily accept any currency and be most thankful.

For your post cruise stay in Sgp, check out some banks rates. You may want to ask your home bank about rates if you use an ATM. Sometimes the ATM rates are better than those at a bank.

Have comfort in knowing that at Raffles, while you are drinking their great Singapore Slings or draught beer:D , they will gladly accept any currency, but the exchange rate may not be too appealing. But after a few Singapore Slings, you won't care;)

Hope I have helped you James. When you think of more questions, just post and I am sure others will try to help you out, just as I will.

Have a great cruise aboard SSV. You'll love it.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your comprehensive answers to our questions and very much appreciated.:)

Just wonder how large are the local taxis and whether 3 medium sized suitcases and the 4 of us will fit into one standard cab, or are there any mini vans available at Changi?

Also thanks for your tip about the local currencies and we can purchase some Sing$'s with the Indian money changers downtown London as they offer quite good rates. May need them for taxis, but I heard that some taxis have credit card machines in them!

Does the ship sell suncreams and are they local ones or American or Australian brands. The ones over here are expensive and we don't want to lug too many tubes all the way to the Far East:cool:. Anyway the ones we bring over will all be utilised during our pre cruise week in Penang beach;).

Is the Bella Vista one of the special dining rooms? Which are the paying ones and are they any good? Do we need jackets to dine in them?

Cheers again and kind regards.

James:p

Hi James,

Welcome to the Virgo boards.

Taxis in Singapore are plentiful and very cheap compared to many other countries, but with 4 people and 3 suitcases it might be a tight squeeze in a standard car.

Have a look at this website

http://www.limo.com.sg/index.htm

You can actually pre-book a mini van and it will be waiting for you when you arrive. The rates are very good, it shouldn't cost any more than 50 to 60SGD as mentioned by Mike. Maybe you could email them and get a quote?

They could also give you an idea how long it will take to get from the airport to the cruise terminal.:)

Re:sunscreen........The cruise terminal is next door to a shopping arcade. From memory (it has been 3 years since I was last in Singapore), there is a supermarket and a pharmacy that will sell sunscreen. Not sure of the brands though, but probably cheaper than buying on board the ship.

I'm afraid I cannot help you with your questions about the Virgo itself (we are nor sailing until mid-July), but I know the Bella Vista is one of the restaurants included in the price. As for the other restaurants, I'll leave that to Mike:D

Cheers

Justine

Mike,

Many thanks for your reply. As always, it was very helpful and answered a few questions.

Leaving money as a "thank-you" did cross my mind, but I wasn't sure if it would be accepted without offending anyone. To some (most?) of us, working on a cruise ship might sound like a very exciting lifestyle......but it's hard work, long hours , away from the loved ones and having to cope with (quite a few I'm sure) abusive passengers.

I will also bring some little things from Australia, they don't cost much but hopefully will mean a bit more to someone.

Thank you and please are 2 words my kids (and us , of course) use quite often (proud mum:D ) and there is no way they will leave them behind when we go on holidays.

I'll bet you anything my 7 year old daughter will be best friends with the cabin steward within 1 hour of boarding! She will happily sit on the bed watching him / her and talking non-stop.....unless of course they dislike kids...LOL.

Mike, thank you so much for all your invaluable help.

My in-laws are currently sailing on the Diamond Princess to New Zealand and I think this has added to the excitement.

Cheers

Justine

PS. I have been reading other threads on this forum and I can't believe the trivial things people complain about!:eek:

Justine and James, you are most welcome. I remember when I was first starting with cruising and had these same questions as well. Glad that my little bit of info can make your cruise better and easier.

James, Justine gave excellent advice about sunscreen purchases and taxi's in Sgp. Right at the embarkation hall there is a Watson's that sells everything you could want. Prices are quite good also. Better to stock up there than to buy aboard ship.

Here is a web link with photos of taxi's in Sgp.

http://www.citycab.com.sg/travelwus/vehicle_types.htm

Take a look, it may provide answers to some of your questions.

Dress code: As Justine said, the Bella Vista is the main dining room and is inclusive in the fare. Smart casual dress is appropriate here, and remember the shirt with collars requirement.

The alternative Palazzo (Italian restaurant) which has excellent food by the way, is quite intimate and elegant. Again, smart casual is fine, but certainly in this type of atmosphere jacket and tie would be excellent, but not mandatory.

This is from Star's website re; dining outlets.

At our various dining outlets, we are sure to please even the most discerning palate. Savour Japanese specialities at The Samurai or exotic Indian temptations at The Taj! Check out some of our dining highlights below.

• Samurai

• Mediterranean Buffet and Terrace

• Blue Lagoon

• Palazzo (Italian)

• Taj Mahal

• The Pavilion Room (Chinese)

• Bella Vista (International)

• Noble House (Chinese)

The Mediterranean Buffet and Terrace (I love the aft terrace section) is inclusive.

Noble House is the other main dining room for Chinese cuisine. Very good also.

Bella Vista as mentioned before is inclusive and serves very fine cuisine.

Many people do not realize that it was Star Cruises who actually started NCL's Freestyle Cruising.

So, when you are aboard Virgo, dress in what makes you comfortable. Don't be put off by the elegance of some of these venues. On the other hand if you choose to dress up, you will fit in perfectly. It's all your personal choice.

One more tip for all of you.

DO go to The Taverna on the top most deck, which is Deck 13.

Taverna is an outdoor bar that also serves some great snack foods. The view from here is fantastic and the casual outdoor atmosphere really makes one want to linger. Try it!

Keep the questions coming. They bring back such fond memories.

Regards,

Mike

The others are "extra tariff venues" but in my opinion, very reasonable.

Justine and Mike - thank you for the limo sites. I will check them further later when I get a chance. Busy weekend for me as I have to attend a tax course in London and then there's Mother's day on Sunday.

Larest and cheers...............James:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike and Justine,

The Sgp cab company came back with some prices for a 7 seater minivan for the 4 of us - cost Sgp$45 from airport to WTR - seems reasonable. Thanks for the links.

Any of you guys stayed in a Sgp hotel post cruise? and which would you recommend to be near enough to Clarke Quay or Newton square? We also plan to drop into Raffles for a S.Sling but not stay in Raffles this trip.

Cheers. James:)

Hi James,

The mini van deal seems very good. That should solve the space problem for you.

As far as hotels are concerned, I usually stay at THE RENDEVOUZ HOTEL in Sgp. I find the rates (usually 105-110 US$) very reasonable and it is a very nice hotel. Usually I walk to Boat and Clarke Quay. It's a nice walk.

I find the hotel to be in a good location.

Use your search engine to find current rates and descriptions, as I don't think I am allowed to hyperlink to a hotel booking site.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike

Hi James,

We are staying at the Swissotel Merchant Court, which is right across the river from Clarke Quay. I do believe there is some major construction happening next door and some reviews have reflected this, but we have stayed at this hotel previously and keep coming back.

Google "asia best hotel" and go to the website with the same name ......they have great rates for all Singapore hotels, inclusive of all the rates and , in most cases, breakfast. They are very reliable, we have used them before.

Cheers

Justine

Hi Justine ~ thank you for the tip to 'google' for best rates of Singapore hotels. I have checked the website of Asia rooms and there are quite a few 4* hotels on Orchard road and may try out Phoenix hotel as their rates in GB£ are very competitive, and for a couple of £'s more breakfast is included. Surprised that taxes and service chgs are inclusive, unlike the hotel quotes that we get in USA.

Mike - we just wonder whether we can walk to Raffles for a night cap (S.sling:D) from our hotel in Orchard road and what is the dress code for Raffles? Heard that they do not allow shorts and khaki trousers.

Cheers again. James:)

Hi James,

You can walk to Raffles from Orchard Rd., but it will be quite a walk.

I suggest taking the Metro from Orchard.

As far as Raffles dress code, during the day, especially at the pool bar, jeans, shorts etc, are ok.

During the evening, smart casual is required. I really don't know about khakis, but I can't see why they would be objectionable.

Try e-mailing them and ask is there is a definite dress code. That's what I would do. Try this addy:

mailto:singapore-raffles@raffles.com

Cheers,

Mike

We stayed at The York last year. Got really good last minute rates. Its a 5 minute walk to Orchard Road and the MRT. As we are staying a few days either side of our cruise, its a good middle point to go anywhere from. We will catch the MRT from Orchard Road to the ship - it only takes about 10 minutes as we went and had a look last year. The shopping centre where the ship docks is huge so if you need to get any last minute toiletries or other things like that wait until you get there. Gayle

Hi Gayle - thanks for the information re-buying toiletries at the WTC centre shops before we board. Can we get off ship again to walk around the WTC shops after we check in on board? DW loves to shop till she drop!

Notice your 'dancing signature' - are you a keen ballroom dancer? - just one of those things we would love to try out and learn before we get too old.

Mike - are there any porters at the WTC to carry luggage out of taxis and how much do we tip them for each piece? How far are the check in desks from the taxi drop off? Hope we are not asking too many questions again.

Justine - do the Aussies celebrate Easter and hand out Easter eggs to the kids? We have 2 days bank holidays in UK - Easter Friday and Monday, making it a long weekend.

Cheers and nice chatting.......................James:)

Hi James,

Sorry, really can't help with the porter question as I usually arrive at the WTC very early to do shopping and have lunch, so I do not get to see how luggage is handled at the drop off point. I would imagine that there should be some type of service available. I will check with my friends at WTC and get back to you.

The embarkation hall is on the second level in the rear reached by escalator and lift. It really is not far from the WTC entrance.

Regards,

Mike

Hi James,

Here is some info I received from my friend regarding your query.

Harbourfront Centre (WTC) has changed a lot.There is no need for an embarking pax to lug their suitcases up to the second floor. The taxi can drop them off right at the check in counters on the ground floor where the luggage is checked in airline style complete with computer generated luggage tags. Then they proceed sans luggae to the second floor for the rest of the formalities. But I do know that they have luggage trolleys as well.

Hope this info helps you James.

Regards,

Mike

Hi James, I am sure you should be able to go back and do any last minute shopping after you embark. Yes my husband and I are competition ballroom dancers as are both my son and daughter. The picture in my avitar is my son and his dance partner. I have also just completed a theory exam to become a dance coach. :D You can never be too old to dance. Its the best fun you can have in a group situation ;) and also good exercise. Gayle

Hi James, et al,

I was not sure about the policy of Star Cruises regarding getting off the ship once you have checked-in and gone through Immigration, as I have never wanted to do so.

So, I wrote to Star Cruises and asked for their official policy.

Star Cruises replied and said that once a passenger goes through Immigration and embarks the ship they are NOT allowed to get off again.

I should imagine that this policy is fleetwide.

This is good to know. So I guess we all better do our last minute shopping at the terminal before we check-in.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Gayle,

You must check out the Galaxy of the Stars bar/lounge on SSV. In the evenings they have a live band and there is amply chance for you to enjoy some dancing. The band is also very good with requests from the audience. It's a lovely lounge and the perfect venue for a little dancing.

Hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike. I had hoped there would be a good dance floor. We had the floor to ourselves on the Pacific Princess and the band played whatever we wanted. We even managed a tango one night :) Gayle

Hi Mike , Hello from Australia :)

Our cruise is not until march 07 ( we are doing 2 cruises on the Virgo ) however a friend of ours has just returned from a cruise on the Virgo and thoroughly enjoyed himself , but he's elderly and while we were able to extract lots of information from him :D about the cruise he mentioned a couple of things that we would like to know more about if you can help us ,

1. He mentioned that you pay for the Shows in the evening and never went to one (he's elderly and I think it was more a case of retiring early)

do you pay for the Shows ? We are booked into Balcony Class.

2. He found it difficult to manage to Embark due to the line up and being elderly he found it was too busy and chaotic.

I'm not sure but I thought there was an office in Singapore now where you can prebook onto the ship and get your boarding pass , then proceed to the Balcony Class Embarkation desk in the terminal ? Saving time and waiting ?

3. He mention that dining was superb , but that rarely can you get a table for 2 , and that often he had to check his drink bill to make sure someone elses bottle of wine had not been charged to him , or that it was expected that you would share yur bottle of wine ?

I don't mind dining with someone , that would be interesting but I don't feel the need for being hassled over who pays for drinks etc.

(bear in mind this friend is elderly ( 78 ) and he may not be entirely accurate in his recall hence my reason for asking you )

4. Both hubbie and myself were looking forward to dressing up , and we have a nice wardrobe planned with some formal attire , our friend seemed to think we would look out of place , but I would like to at least some nights dress up semi formally and be smart casual during the day .

Or shall we leave the suit and evening dress at home ?

We are so exited about going that we are all but packed :D

Thanks Mike

Hi mahjong77,

I'll be happy to help with your questions.

1. He mentioned that you pay for the Shows in the evening and never went to one (he's elderly and I think it was more a case of retiring early)

To the best of my knowledge and past experiences on all of Star Cruises ships, the main shows are free. They are inclusive.

The only show(s) that they do charge for are the topless revues held late at night. These shows are for pax 18 years of age and older.

There are some special activities which do have a charge, but these are not the main shows in The Lido Theater.

2. He found it difficult to manage to Embark due to the line up and being elderly he found it was too busy and chaotic.

There is a check in desk at the taxi drop off point on the ground floor. Your luggage will be processed for you and you will see it next in front of your cabin door. Any person who is elderly or infirm should contact Star Cruises StarCare and request for assistance in embarking. You can email them at starcare@starcruises.com.my . Also, if previous assistance was not requested, have one member of your party go up to the embarkation hall on the second level and speak to a Star Cruises rep, and ask for help.

They will gladly do anything to make it easier for the pax.

Yes, there are times when the lines can be a little long, but once the check-in begins, the lines move quickly. There are seperate lines for all cabin catagories.

I have not heard of an office in Singapore where you can check-in.

If there is one, it must be very new. Again, contact the above email address to ask about this.

3. He mention that dining was superb , but that rarely can you get a table for 2 , and that often he had to check his drink bill to make sure someone elses bottle of wine had not been charged to him , or that it was expected that you would share yur bottle of wine ?

In all my cruises aboard SuperStar Virgo, I have always had a two top table. There are many tables for 2 available in Bella Vista. Along the side walls there are only tables for 2. If you choose to dine at a popular hour, you may have to wait a little for a table, but just make it known that you do want a table for two.

Regarding the wine issue, on any ship and any Line, always check your bar bill. It is not expected that you share your wine with tablemates. It is up to you if you wish to offer them a drink or not. But of course this can be a sticky situation. Anyway, Virgo is a "freestyle" ship, so it is unlikely that you will be dining with the same people again. You can however choose to dine with the same people if you all agree with it. You can also request the same table and server. You may have to wait, but it is possible.

4. Both hubbie and myself were looking forward to dressing up , and we have a nice wardrobe planned with some formal attire , our friend seemed to think we would look out of place , but I would like to at least some nights dress up semi formally and be smart casual during the day .

Or shall we leave the suit and evening dress at home ?

By all means take your nice wardrobe with you. You will NOT be out of place. The decor of the Virgo lends itself beautifully to "dressing up."

The Captains' Cocktail Reception and Gala Dinner are perfect for more formal attire. Smart casual and even upscale attire on the other nights will be perfect. I find that dressing up aboard ship means so much more than on land. There is just that special feeling that you cannot find elsewhere.

My opinion is that one should dress in what is comfortable for them and makes them feel good. Having said all this, you will however find all manner and levels of dress aboard Virgo. I for one would rather "stand out in the crowd" by looking smart.

I hope my input has helped you. Your cruise will be jusr around the corner in no time. It is always good to prepare in advance. This way there will be less "surprises" when the time comes.

More questions? Ask away. That's why we are all here.

Regards,

Mike

Hi mahjong77

I am travelling on the Virgo in June and had also heard about a check in office in Singapore, so I sent Star Cruises an email asking them about it and here is the reply I received.

For Sunday Cruise

City Check in will be on Friday and Saturday - From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

(There will be no City Check-In on Sunday and Public Holidays)

Address for our City Check-In:

No. 9 Penang Road

#11-08 Park Mall

Singapore 238459

City Check-In Hotline (Singapore): (65) 6832 9847

For the City Check-In, passengers are required to bring along their booking confirmation slip together with the passports and all relevant travel documents of all persons cruising. Due to security reasons, baggage will not be accepted during City Check-In, and can only be checked-in on the departure day at Level 1 (next to Lobby C entrance) and additional Baggage

Counters On Level 2.

The information above is subject to change without prior notice.

For further queries pertaining to City Check-In, please call the Hotline number provided above.

Hope this helps

oatz

Hi Mike , thank you for the information , I see now why he may have mentioned paying for a show ;) , he must have meant the late night show for adults.

I am also relieved to hear that you can dine at tables for 2 , and that dressing up will be fine.

We are so looking forward to dressing in something other then our beach gear which we wear at home , the opportunity to dress up and feel special will be a nice change.

I just saw a daily program and I see they have Mahjong classes guess where I will be :D

so much to do , I cannot wait !

Thanks again for your help,

cheers

Archived