Island Round-trip Drive Time

FloridaAdGuy

So, my girlfriend and I will be renting a car and driving 'round the island'. Our ship docks at 9:00am (okay, seriously we don't really expect to get off till 10:00am) and...once through the rental process will be heading to the ruins. From there, we'll be making a few stops on the eastern side (Coconuts, Rastas) and then swinging south and up the coast to the Money Bar. From there we'll drop off the rental and shop downtown.

I've "gone around the island" before but was unsure on timing. How long (with a 2-hour ruins stop) and...let's say three one-hour delays at local watering holes...should we allow. We don't set sail till 6:00pm but just trying to time-management the day. :)

So, my girlfriend and I will be renting a car and driving 'round the island'. Our ship docks at 9:00am (okay, seriously we don't really expect to get off till 10:00am) and...once through the rental process will be heading to the ruins. From there, we'll be making a few stops on the eastern side (Coconuts, Rastas) and then swinging south and up the coast to the Money Bar. From there we'll drop off the rental and shop downtown.

I've "gone around the island" before but was unsure on timing. How long (with a 2-hour ruins stop) and...let's say three one-hour delays at local watering holes...should we allow. We don't set sail till 6:00pm but just trying to time-management the day. :)

Which ruins are you stopping at? We did San Gervasio a couple of cruises ago. Very small and we didn't spend much time there.

Yes...we are picking up a car at Puerta Maya and then heading clockwise around the island. We will be visiting the ruins on the island. I have been to many ruins (Ek Balam, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Coba, and others) but my girlfriend has not been to any but wants to see some. Yes...Chichen Itza (actually Ek Balam is my favorite) is better but I'd rather she gets a small sampling and then enjoys other highlights on the island.

So...back to the original question: time to cover the island?

1 hour drive time.. and you are not allowed to most northern point of the island because its a dirt road and i was told the insurance for the rental does not cover that.. carretera transveral road is as far north as you can go except for the san gervasio which is not worth the ride down that road.... what ruins are you going to.. not many on the island

We always rent from Rentadora Isis downtown, great little couple that runs it. About $35 for a VW convertable, stick.

We go counter clockwise and stop here and there along the way, few places on the other side of the island. We have stopped at the ruins and then come back and shop.

I think just drive time will be an hour, maybe an hour for the ruins and then your stops.

going counter clockwise there is a gas station just before you bring the car back.

Have a great time.

We always rent from Rentadora Isis downtown, great little couple that runs it. About $35 for a VW convertable, stick.

We go counter clockwise and stop here and there along the way, few places on the other side of the island. We have stopped at the ruins and then come back and shop.

I think just drive time will be an hour, maybe an hour for the ruins and then your stops.

going counter clockwise there is a gas station just before you bring the car back.

Have a great time.

Thank you for this information! Do you just take a cab to downtown from the pier?

Based upon your review I just spoke with Maragrita and booked our VW for next week. She could not drop it off at the pier so we have to take a taxi there but even with the cost of the taxi it is still 1/2 the price of a tour driver.

So my question is : does she provide some sort of map with locations on it and most important gas stations? Do the gas stations take credit cards?

• 3 weeks later...

Other posts on gas stations worth reading, but best way is to acquire some pesos before you go down and use them as much as possible, particularly at gas station...and be sure you watch the attendant reset the pump. ;-) Haven't been to Cozumel recently, but have seen cards offered when driving in other parts of MX.