Kayak, Regatta, or Relax?

dorrie9

My boyfriend and I are traveling on RCI Rhapsody in the second week of May 2004. We have made excursion plans for our other stops (snorkeling in Grand Cayman and visiting Tulum ruins in Cozumel), but we have not decided what to do for Key West. (We arrive at 3 p.m.)

I know Key West is a funky little town, and I definitely want to explore it. So we are trying to decide between two kayak trips, the regatta race, or just hanging around Key West absorbing the town. We both would like to do something active (at least walking). Unfortunately bicycles are out of the question since I have poor depth perception and tend to crash! hee

The first kayak tour seems to be an abbreviated tour of Key West and Stock Island. The second kayak tour takes us to the Backcountry to look at mangroves and salt pond. The regatta tour splits us up into teams, where we try to sail our own boat against the other teams. (Note the word "try"--I'm a little worried about this event!)

Anybody have suggestions as to what we should do? We definitely want to spend the evening hours bar-hopping and people-watching. I'm just confused about whether we should spend the day doing that, too.

I should mention that a couple of years ago I took a boat nature tour of mangrove creeks in Costa Rica. It was a drizzly day, and most of the animals seemed to be hiding out where it was dry. We saw a few snakes, but otherwise I thought the nature tour was kind of lame. So I just want to make sure these kayaking excursions would really be worth the money.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Please understand that I have not been to KW yet, we're goin near the end of May. From what I've read, Mallory Square starts heating up around 3:00pm for the sunset celebration, lots of street entertainers and vendors and crazy stuff going on, and several have said the sunset is not to be missed. Afterwards, you are in line for starting the famed Duval Crawl, plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from, and don't forget to checkout the key lime pies.

This board is not very active, Clay (the local guru) pops in and out and offers advice based on his experiences. I suggest that you read the earlier posts to get a feeling of what you might like to do, beaches to go to, Conch train or trolley rides, and if you need some direct info, go to www.keywest.com.

Hope this helps....

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

Guru huh? does that mean I get to wear a funny hat?

A couple of thoughts....

I have never done the kajak thing...at six foot seven and 300 pounds it just doesnt seem like my cup o'tea...but have seen lots of folks who have done it and enjoy it.

I think your decision on what to do while here depends on whether you have any interest in architecture and history. IIf you do, then I would suggest a walking tour of old town...perhaps a stop into the Custom House museum etc. Obvously getting out on the water is a big thing here so either the regatta or renting a sailboat would be a good thing.

One correction to BamBams statement, with dayligth savings time, Mallory Square doesnt get started til later....you really don't need to plan on being there much before an hour before sunset.

Let me know if I can help answer anymore questions,

Clay

Archived