Need Hotel for April 5 - 6, 2014

Lizzzys

Panicking! I helped my two sisters (who are seniors) book a cruise out of New Orleans on April 6th. Now I'm trying to find them a room to stay at with little to no luck. I can't believe that anything that either isn't already booked or doesn't sound like a dive is at least $250 for that night! Am I doing something wrong? This isn't Mardi Gras.... is it? They will be flying in to NOLA so no car.

Any help is truly appreciated!

Liz

Have you checked the hotels by the airport? They could take an airport shuttle to the hotel, then shuttle back to the airport to pick up Carnival's transport or take a cab, depending on which is more cost effective and their preferences. The Days Inn shows available by the airport with rooms looking like they're about $129. While it's not the epitome of luxury, they're generally clean and consistent in quality - I can't tell for sure if they have a shuttle, but it's right off the airport, so if not, a cab wouldn't be too expensive and there's an IHOP on property, so they won't starve.

It looks like there's a big wrestling convention in town during their stay, which may be why there is such limited hotel availability and high prices at the ones still open for reservations.

There is a wrestling show and a teachers convention in town. Hotel room prices have skyrocketed. We are sailing the same day and changed our plans. Now going to Nashville for a couple of days, visit relatives in Alabama, and a few days before and after cruise in Florida. Cant see spending the high prices in N.O. will visit N.O. another time. The airport area would be the best without a car.

If there is something near the airport, that's probably the best bet. In that situation I would rent a car and use it for the two days, then drop it off before getting a transfer or taxi to the port.

It's a pretty common occurance for hotels to get booked up like this, especially this close to the cruise. Most ports are pretty easy to get rooms because the main reason the hotels are there is because of the cruise ports. In New Orleans there are so many events all year that will book every room in town that you have to be careful and make sure you have a place to stay before you can cancel the cruise.

If you can't find a hotel with a shuttle, try looking on http://www.homeaway.com. They could then take a cab to the home/condo/apt. and then from there to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try airbnb, a company where people rent rooms in their home or their entire home. Same thing happened to me last year during the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately even the airport hotels are showing quite high prices. I have booked a cancellable hotel for them at $269.00 for the night out at the airport and hope to be able to score something a little less expensive closer to their date of arrival. I would normally not have a problem at all staying at a Days Inn or La Quinta etc. but the 2 start hotels in New Orleans seem to be a little more on the sketchy side than what I'm used to so I think I'll stick to the 3 and 3.5 star hotels for them.

Thanks everyone :)

Liz

The Four Points Sheraton airport is a decent hotel in a not-bad neighborhood. I stayed there for three weeks post-katrina when I was restoring internet service there. It isn't on the top of my list of places to stay, but it's definitely on the short list of hotels away from the Quarter or Garden District.

It seems to have availability there during the time you requested for about $100 less than the price you listed.

The Best Western River Region Inn in Luling (26 miles from NOLA) is showing only $89 a night for April 5 on the BW web site. Even if a cab is $100 from there to the port you save money. Not the best option but it sounds like you need to expand your search.

The Four Points Sheraton airport is a decent hotel in a not-bad neighborhood. I stayed there for three weeks post-katrina when I was restoring internet service there. It isn't on the top of my list of places to stay, but it's definitely on the short list of hotels away from the Quarter or Garden District.

It seems to have availability there during the time you requested for about $100 less than the price you listed.

I must have missed it because none of their locations currently have availability for the April 5 - 6 timeframe now. Thanks anyway!