Wheelchair access in Jerusalem tour

Speedodeedo

We are planning on going on a shore excursion with Israel Cruise Excursion, for Jerusalem and Bethlehem. I am with a 70 year old who has mobility issues and who needs a wheelchair from time to time. Will the 9 hour tour be too much for my friend or is there access to wheelchair enough that she can see and visit as much as she can on the excursion.

Thanks.

is there access to wheelchair enough that she can see and visit as much as she can on the excursion.

Thanks.

Most tourist sites in Israel are wheelchair accesible but you should ask the tour operator about the specific sites that are the tour.

Don't know about Bethleham

Edited by badatz

No matter which company you are going to choose, even your ship excursions, the Jerusalem an Bethlehem tour is totsly unsuitable or doable with a wheelchair!

The only way you can do it is to do it privately with a guide/driver and with a lot of modifications from the regular tour. You can get to the Holy Sepulchre in the heart of the Old City but you won't be able to do the Via Dolorosa. You won't be able to get there through either Jaffa or the Dung Gate, only from Zion Gate.

You can visit the Wailing Wall but you need to arrange that the car will take you all the way up and will be permitted to wait for you.

All in all, if you don't want your friend to be stuck in the car for 3hrs while the group is walking in the Old City, arrange it with a private guide with a car big enough to carry to wheelchair.

Edited by TaliaBT

No matter which company you are going to choose, even your ship excursions, the Jerusalem an Bethlehem tour is totsly unsuitable or doable with a wheelchair!

The only way you can do it is to do it privately with a guide/driver and with a lot of modifications from the regular tour. You can get to the Holy Sepulchre in the heart of the Old City but you won't be able to do the Via Dolorosa. You won't be able to get there through either Jaffa or the Dung Gate, only from Zion Gate.

You can visit the Wailing Wall but you need to arrange that the car will take you all the way up and will be permitted to wait for you.

All in all, if you don't want your friend to be stuck in the car for 3hrs while the group is walking in the Old City, arrange it with a private guide with a car big enough to carry to wheelchair.

Thank you for the feeback. A tour operator did suggest that we should get a private tour of Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

Edited by Speedodeedo

• 3 weeks later...

You said you need a wheel chair "from time to time". If you can get out and walk up and down some steps while someone takes the wheel chair, it may work. But as I recall, there is at least one very long set of steps right before the Western Wall. Maybe a private tour is the way to go.

I definitely agree with Talia, go with a private guide. They can pick you up at the port and return you there. You get to go at your own pace. It is possible to get around the Old City but it takes longer to go alternative routes. Make sure your guide knows your needs.

Access 4 You rents electric buggies to tourists (think little old lady of pasadena). Miguel is great to work with. You still have to take the alternative routes but its kind of fun! Your guide can arrange this for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...
Thank you for the feeback. A tour operator did suggest that we should get a private tour of Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

I am travelling on this cruise with my parents who are both near 90. My father cannot walk long distances, and I have been trying to find tours that can include scooter rentals. There are 3 of us, so if you don't have anything booked yet, we can try to find some tours together.

I am travelling on this cruise with my parents who are both near 90. My father cannot walk long distances, and I have been trying to find tours that can include scooter rentals. There are 3 of us, so if you don't have anything booked yet, we can try to find some tours together.

Israel has an entire website devoted to handicapped travelers. Just googled it and you'll find help. Jerusalem is not an easy place for those who cannot walk especially on stones and steps.