Porthole vs Ocean View on Inspiration

kgymn

Man am I missing the search feature right now!

Anyways we are looking to book the Inspiration for next month and are debating between getting an ocean view or a porthole. Porthole would save us a little, but the ocean view we could get on a higher deck. Our last cruise we had an inside on the Glory, so even a porthole is moving up for us LOL.

Anyone with any experience? Specific rooms to look for or avoid? Appreciate any input :) Thanks in advance.

~Katy

We've sailed in porthole cabins on the Fascination and the Breeze, and since we don't mind the forward location, we think they offer good value. You will probably hear some noise when the ship is docked. I believe we had M5 on the Fascination. I'd sail in that cabin on any of the Fantasy class ships again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Friends are like you, they had their first porthole experience after IS last week on the Inspiration. IIRC they were in U17. They liked it.

We prefer an OV on Main or Upper.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks for the input! It looks like we're leaning towards an outside now, its really not much more and if we luck out with an upsell fairy call with an OV it would be to a really nice cabin. Now I'm just worried about the location on the ship, we're debating aft on empress or forward on upper, but leaning heavily toward aft due to proximity to the serenity deck.

~Katy

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

I booked R1 and R3 on a fantasy class and noticed the 2nd cabin was bigger then the first, I asked the steward and he said, every other porthole room is slightly bigger (R3, R4, R7, R8...) due to the widening of the haul and the straight corridors.

Thanks for the input! It looks like we're leaning towards an outside now, its really not much more and if we luck out with an upsell fairy call with an OV it would be to a really nice cabin. Now I'm just worried about the location on the ship, we're debating aft on empress or forward on upper, but leaning heavily toward aft due to proximity to the serenity deck.

~Katy

If you do book the Aft Empress cabin---

There is a 'secret' staircase across from E244. Go up, on Empress (8) go outside and up the outside staircase (The deck on Empress is crew only). It leads directly into the Serenity deck.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/carnival-inspiration-accessible-cruising-deck-plan-pdf.ashx

This is a good shortcut to take at night when the Comedy is going on. Seen several bathrobed pax becoming part of the show. :D

Edited by SadieN

If you do book the Aft Empress cabin---

There is a 'secret' staircase across from E244. Go up, on Empress (8) go outside and up the outside staircase (The deck on Empress is crew only). It leads directly into the Serenity deck.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/carnival-inspiration-accessible-cruising-deck-plan-pdf.ashx

This is a good shortcut to take at night when the Comedy is going on. Seen several bathrobed pax becoming part of the show. :D

Now THAT is some priceless information! Exactly the kind of info I am sure to use, too. Thank you!!

~Katy

I booked R1 and R3 on a fantasy class and noticed the 2nd cabin was bigger then the first, I asked the steward and he said, every other porthole room is slightly bigger (R3, R4, R7, R8...) due to the widening of the haul and the straight corridors.

Yep that is how it looks on the deck plans. I wonder if some of the larger cabins are even larger than the others if that makes sense. I'd be tempted to go in with a measuring tape rofl

~Katy

We have had porthole rooms twice, once with 4 people and once with only 2. They are every bit as big as an inside room and you actually have the room on the window sill by the portholes to store things. The only thing you may want to check on is the bed configuration. On some of the smaller rooms they are bunk beds, but on the bigger ships you can get 3 beds on the floor and an upper (and can make 2 beds into a king). The price is cheaper and how much time do you really spend in your room?

Well, my husband gets migraines and on our last cruise he spent a couple nights in the room cause his head was hurting. I also spent time lounging in the room keeping my eye on the deck cam since it rained off and on, and let me tell you the choice locations on the serenity deck I was able to get the minute the deck started to dry off ;)

In any case the great tip about the staircase back aft did it for us. E257 was available on both the sailings (we're doing B2B) so we booked that room for both! Not only is serenity my favorite area on the ship, but my go-to when I am looking for something to do is get pizza LOL and that's only one more deck up!

HOORAY!!

~Katy