Vertigo

bornyankee

I have been on several cruises and have always been fine just taking bonine. I have since been diagnosed with vertigo and want to book another cruise but I'm worried about getting really seasick. Has anyone out there cruised with vertigo and how was it?

Ask your doctor....you may have less problems since you already have a "motion" feeling....so the ship's motion might not be detectable! Your doctor can recommend something, just in case!

Sort of like "wobbly" toddlers seldom have seasickness!

Edited by cb at sea

I have been on several cruises and have always been fine just taking bonine. I have since been diagnosed with vertigo and want to book another cruise but I'm worried about getting really seasick. Has anyone out there cruised with vertigo and how was it?

I have vertigo and suffer from episodes where it can get very bad. Cruising made me very nervous but I spoke to my doctor and have been very lucky in controlling my symptoms during and after cruising. I begin taking Bonine (not Dramamine or any other product) a day or even 2 before I leave... just to get it into my system. Even though it says it works for a full 24 hours, I do take it every 22 to 23 hours to ensure that it never wears off completely. I often suffer when I return from cruising with 'sea legs' for up to a week - so I continue to take Bonine daily after I return for about a week. I have never had a problem doing this and I have been on a ship as we followed a hurricane back to the NY area a few years ago and the seas last October on our way back from Bermuda were pretty rough.

However, I do also travel with candied ginger... kinda like a hard candy form, that my doctor recommended. I picked it up at the health food store. If I do start to feel an 'attack' of vertigo or if I start to feel at all queezie, I just take a piece to calm my stomach (it has double the effect if I eat a granny smith apple and then suck on the ginger) - it tastes pretty good, like a ginger ale candy. I have only taken it once at sea, but have offered it to other passengers who are seasick and they have all thanked me profusely when it did help them.

Talk to you doctor and maybe try some of the things that fellow cruisers will suggest, but don't let vertigo or fear of a vertigo attack ruin your trip... I think you will do just fine if you take some precautions. Best of luck to you!

Ask your doctor....you may have less problems since you already have a "motion" feeling....so the ship's motion might not be detectable! Your doctor can recommend something, just in case!

Sort of like "wobbly" toddlers seldom have seasickness!

That's how I feel cruising works for me. I don't take any Bonine or other meds because THEY make me dizzy.

Thanks for the advice! I am going to go ahead and book my next cruise and I guess I'll find out how I react. I just really don't want to give up something I love out of fear of having a bad vertigo attack. I'll just make sure I'm as prepared as I can be.

I have meniere's disease. I cruise once or twice a year, and it is easy peasy. I make sure i order low sodium meals, ( i pre order each night), which helps immensely. I bring my meds, i try to avoid meclazine unless i am actively spinning. Vailum also works for this. I have a cane for when i feel off balance.

Don't let it stop you!

I also suffer with Mal de Debarquement. I can only speak for myself, but I do not have a problem when I am on a ship, just on land. Weird, huh!

I also have mal de debarquement. My first cruise with the diagnosis is in April. I first had symptoms after a cruise in 2000 and again in 2004. Was misdiagnosed both times and after months, years, it finally subsided and guess what? It is back worse than ever. Thank goodness I am on the road a lot for work as this is the relief I get.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi

A couple of years ago I woke up with very bad vertigo every time I made a sudden movement. Long story short I had benign paroxymal positional vertigo (crystals loose in the ear apparently, not as glamorous as it sounds!!) I had a cruise booked and was very concerned. I have to say the cruise made no difference what so ever. I have now recovered but have an occasional relapse I wouldn't be worried about cruising with it but I am very aware that there are many causes of vertigo and some are more problematic than others. I wish you well and hope you can continue to cruise.

I suffer from Superior Cancal Dehiscence, which is a small hole has formed in my inner ear canal. I have had a few serious vertigo episodes, but I have never had a problem cruising. I have had a few issues during excursions, mainly from rough bus rides and heights, but I have learned how to deal with it, with a lot of support from my wonderful wife. My Doctor said I probably would not notice the motion on the ship as much as others since I already have a small balance issue from my inner ear issue and this seems to be the case. I have taken 8 cruises in the past 6 years and have sailed in some very rough waters and never had any issues, (knocking on wood!)

I suffer from Superior Cancal Dehiscence, which is a small hole has formed in my inner ear canal. I have had a few serious vertigo episodes, but I have never had a problem cruising. I have had a few issues during excursions, mainly from rough bus rides and heights, but I have learned how to deal with it, with a lot of support from my wonderful wife. My Doctor said I probably would not notice the motion on the ship as much as others since I already have a small balance issue from my inner ear issue and this seems to be the case. I have taken 8 cruises in the past 6 years and have sailed in some very rough waters and never had any issues, (knocking on wood!)

I think this means we need to do MORE cruising!

I lost my (air) pilot's medical certificate 11 years ago due to occasional vertigo attacks. My wife tells me that for the following year or so I was like a bad-tempted grizzly bear with a terrific hangover... I loved being in command of an aircraft and that was taken from me. :mad:

Vertigo hasn't stopped me travelling by ship - even when the seas are high and the wind is storm force or stronger I'm absolutely fine. Vertigo caused by a medical condition has, at least where I am concerned, no effect on my ability to cope with rough seas.

VP

Hi

A couple of years ago I woke up with very bad vertigo every time I made a sudden movement. Long story short I had benign paroxymal positional vertigo (crystals loose in the ear apparently, not as glamorous as it sounds!!) I had a cruise booked and was very concerned. I have to say the cruise made no difference what so ever. I have now recovered but have an occasional relapse I wouldn't be worried about cruising with it but I am very aware that there are many causes of vertigo and some are more problematic than others. I wish you well and hope you can continue to cruise.

I too have BPPV as a result of a blow to the head. Epley Maneuver takes care of it. An occasional relapse can be cleared up with one session of Epley. I'm sure you know how to perform it? I too was worried about my first cruise after this happened, but never a problem on the ship.

I too have BPPV as a result of a blow to the head. Epley Maneuver takes care of it. An occasional relapse can be cleared up with one session of Epley. I'm sure you know how to perform it? I too was worried about my first cruise after this happened, but never a problem on the ship.

Yes before I was officially diagnosed I watched a You Tube video of the Epley manoeuvre and taught myself to do it.. Probably caused myself whiplash but cured the BPPV! :)

I also have Vertigo and have planned a cruise for April. I checked with my doctor and he filled a prescription for Antivert. I think I will take this a couple of nights before the cruise. It would be a shame to have vertigo spoil a cruise.

I have Meniere's Disease and had not cruised until Feb 2013. We put cruising off as when I have an attack of vertigo it can last a week or more. After speaking to my GP I decided to give it a go. So tried a short cruise from Sydney to Melbourne over four days.

My GP gave me a regime of medications to take for a week before the cruise, whilst cruising, and a week after the cruise. I had ear drops and tablets to take and it worked a treat.

There are a few things you can do to help yourself, someone else has said, be aware how much salt you are ingesting, keep your stress levels low, take medication if told to, and if your GP gives you exercises to do then do them.

We are going on a 21 day cruise this December and will be guided again by my GP.

Wishing us all happy, and vertigo free, cruising :)