anytime vs your time dining on Sunshine

JBobbyJ

Hi,

We are sailing on the Sunshine on March 9. Right now, we have anytime dining (your time dining), but want to switch to assigned dining.

Reason: On our last Carnival Cruise, we chose YTD because of our children, and their schedules. But, the service was HORRIBLE! Many times, our water glasses were empty- children's pizza had to be cut by my husband, and the wait time for the food was impossibly long...especially since we had the children with us. On 3 nights, we waited for our food for over an hour and a half.

So, we are thinking that assigned dining would be better. I am sure that we would have to be on a wait list- but- before we switched- was hoping to get some Sunshine past cruisers to give their honest opinions about YTD vs Assigned dining.

Please help!

Personally, I love the YTD because I can work dinner in around scheduled shows or events on the ship. I hated being tied down to a specific time because it always seemed something else would come up. Last year, we didn't have an issue with slow or bad service but perhaps, we lucked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're sailing on the Sunshine in December. I originally booked anytime dining.

I switched to early dining. Although you can go to the dining room at anytime, there may not be a table ready for you.

I had anytime dining on 2 past cruises, the tables are too close together for comfort. Even though the waiter served us in a timely manner, we missed having the same waitstaff everyday. Also. I want to be able to walk to my reserved table at the appointed time.

The Sunshine has a few other options for dinner if you cant make your assigned dinner time. Right now my husband and I have 3 nights booked for the Steakhouse. I plan on having dinner at Cucina and JiJis. And all other dinners will be in the dining room.

Whatever you choose, enjoy and please come back and tell us about your trip.:D

This ceuise we r on wait list for dinner. We have to use ytd. I like have having same staff everyday.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

You can have the same staff, even with YTD dining - we have done this now the past 3 cruises. We found a team we loved, asked for them and got seated in their section - and others did as well :-) we never had a longer wait then 20 minutes (on land, you end up waiting much longer); we would have a drink and chill and voila of we go.

hi,

we are sailing on the sunshine on march 9. Right now, we have anytime dining (your time dining), but want to switch to assigned dining.

Reason: Children's pizza had to be cut by my husband

oh the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by cbell21219

Hi,

We are sailing on the Sunshine on March 9. Right now, we have anytime dining (your time dining), but want to switch to assigned dining.

Reason: On our last Carnival Cruise, we chose YTD because of our children, and their schedules. But, the service was HORRIBLE! Many times, our water glasses were empty- children's pizza had to be cut by my husband, and the wait time for the food was impossibly long...especially since we had the children with us. On 3 nights, we waited for our food for over an hour and a half.

My family and I were on the Sunshine last week and did the YTD (we wanted early but were wait listed). Our friends who we were travelling with did the early time dining. I'd say from our conversations with our friends our service was pretty equal for the two parties which each had 3 adults and 2 children.

However the ship capacity has grown so much, that you can be prepared for pretty long waits again. And children's pizza will not be cut up on either kind of dining package.

I was on the Sunshine last week and only waited to be seated in YTD one time (I asked for a 2 top with 2 chairs). I had no problem with the service and was in and out within 1.5 hours.

I did have problems with open seating breakfast and lunch. The service was horribly slow.

Hi,

I would expect the pizza to be cut prior to it being served in the dining room. Every restaurant I go to cuts the pizza before it is served. So, I don't know why it was NEVER cut. But, at least the dining attendant should make sure it is cut. It isn't like there are pizza cutters available as a silverware option. So, my husband would have to slice/dice the pizza with a fork and knife.

I am paying quite a bit in gratuities- so since I consider this "tipping" like a regular restaurant, I expect good service. I shouldn't have to "beg" for our water glass to be filled, bread to be brought to the table, etc....

The way I see it from my last Carnival cruise- the attendants know they are getting paid the gratuities regardless of the service they provide.

Think about if you go to a restaurant and the tip is already included in the price- Would the waiters go above and beyond to make sure you were taken care of? They would know they were getting paid a certain amount no matter the service.

So, that is why I am thinking that assigned dining would be better. The wait staff would be the same every night. So, I could request my child's pizza to be cut- and he would hopefully honor this request every night.

I am a pretty reasonable person- but I expected better on the last Carnival ship. This was our first trip with our children- and I wanted them to "experience" fine dining. Not, having to wait forever for a pizza, for them to have to wait to be cut, not having their water glasses filled.

Anyway- that is why we are thinking of switching. Plus, if we choose early dining- they will need to get us served quick, and out the door before the late diners arrive.

Thanks for your advice!

This ceuise we r on wait list for dinner. We have to use ytd. I like have having same staff everyday.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

We have been wait listed for our cruise in August also, and have been assigned YTD, so far. I just hope we're assigned late seating as we requested by our cruise, as we have 5 cabins and 13 people.