Carry-on bags only for a 7 night cruise?

Pacclady

You're going on a cruise, yay, good for you!! Stop worrying and have a look at this YouTube video.

You'll see just how easy it is to pack all you need, which as others have said, is not that much.

It's called "packing like a pro" by Tom Ayzenberg, and it's quite good for those needing to save space or pack small.

Have a great cruise :)

LOVE this video...I feel challanged now...I believe I can do it too. I'll just put my accessories, make up, perfumes in my very large purse along with a few other small items

• 1 month later...

That's a cool video, it's a matter of rolling, folding & overlapping, using all the corner spaces for smaller items and distributing the weight. We cruise and fly for a weeklong trip with just a 22" airline-sized carryon (forget about JetBlue's 24" generous allowances) for each of us, plus a cabin bag.

Good example - just need to make sure there's room for the 3-1-1 toiletry bag in clear plastic when flying, charger & tablet or e-reader, and good to go. Here's a few photos of our setup to inspire some of you to think & re-organize packing for you upcoming cruise.

Our favorite is the eBags brand online, lifetime warranty and a good investment, their rollers are under $200 - Mrs. M has a 22" one that's as sturdy as TravelPro whereas I prefer a convertible backpack/carry-on, once tipped the scale at 35 lbs. including electronics & accessories. Gadgets, netbook (downsized from bigger notebook) and tablets & meds, valuables go to a personal bag and/or Timbuk2 (S) messenger/day bag.

With packing cubes, we can fit & stuff it full to bring more when necessay - always pack 2 recycled tote bags to carry extra/trip to the beach or shopping at the ports - and unpack once in the cabin in under 5 minutes, neat & organized.

The 22" MLC goes to the overhead bin when flying or inside the closet on the ship's top shelf, fitting nicely. The 16" vertical laptop/messenger bag has all the computer & electronics, gadgets, meds & vital items and go underneath the seat in front of me for easy access on a long flight - compact in-ear headphones for peace & quiet and music. Both are expandable if necessary but seldom used.

DI2-IMG0358-Carryons.jpg

Used a combo set of packing cubes (3 - 1 each in L, M and S) plus extra pair of shoes.

DI2-IMG0359-Ebags%20TLS.jpg

High visibility (reflective orange tabs) Timbuk2 (S) messenger/day pack, bottle of water (energy bar - not shown) with room for a sandwich, etc. The bag slip into the outside pocket of the 22" carry-on while in transit.

IMG20140117-Timbuk2.jpg

I am a guy that typically overpacks for every potential weather condition and problem (what if it's rainy, I need a windbreaker... what if it gets really hot and I sweat a lot and go through two t-shirts a day, I should pack more t-shirts... what if we miss the plane going home, I need an extra day of underwear and socks... what if the air conditioning in the theater is really cold, I should bring extra long sleeve shirts). I managed to get by for a 7 day with just a carryon and a backpack. And a SMALL carryon at that, due to United's recent enforcement of even smaller carryons.

What I realised in the end... it's not a fashion show! You are never ever going to see 99.9% of these people ever again, so who cares if you re-wear the same clothes. If they don't smell, wear it again! And of course you can take advantage of the mid-week special on the laundry.

My husband and I always pack too much...and we fly delta alot(noSW here) so we always end up paying for bags....but we find it impossible to use only two carry ons. For starters, there's a lot the tsa won't allow in a carryon. We go through a lot of sunscreen, and that stuff is always really expensive on the ship, or even in fll! Also, to me, it's always fun to have clothing choices...when I'm on vacation, if I want to look fabulous, I want to have options and not just have one or two pairs of shoes. But even so, you don't want to go overboard. So we do one checked bag, 1 carry on luggage and a light weight backpack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry if someone else mentioned this - but if you get Delta's Gold or Platinum Credit Card you get one bag free on each flight (at least you used to - double check!). You don't have to book the flight through the card. You could get the CC use it once, use it at check in to get the free bag and cancel when you get back.

It's been a year since I've done this but it doesn't hurt to check their current Credit Card perks - it just ties to your frequent flyer number and when I swiped by card the bag was automatically free. I hope it works for you. I could never pack a week's worth in just a carry on. Here's some info on their benefits - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/about-skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-benefits/delta-amex-credit-card.html

Edited by tampafish

Sorry if someone else mentioned this - but if you get Delta's Gold or Platinum Credit Card you get one bag free on each flight (at least you used to - double check!). You don't have to book the flight through the card. You could get the CC use it once, use it at check in to get the free bag and cancel when you get back.

It's been a year since I've done this but it doesn't hurt to check their current Credit Card perks - it just ties to your frequent flyer number and when I swiped by card the bag was automatically free. I hope it works for you. I could never pack a week's worth in just a carry on. Here's some info on their benefits - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/about-skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-benefits/delta-amex-credit-card.html

Idk if getting it and then canceling it after is really worth the ding it will do on your credit for free checked bags...just my opinion tho. Altho getting an airline card that gives you free luggage perks is great if you travel a lot. Unfortunately I do not have an airline card. Mostly because it varies who I fly with and I don't fly enough to make it worth it. But I do have one that gives me cash back that's pretty good.

But I would recommend just eating the cost of 50.00 for one checked bag. It's so worth it, and makes for less stress pre vacay, during the vacay, and post vacay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk