Barcelona - Marriott Hotels Pre and Post Cruise

boop_57

We'll be staying in Barcelona one night pre and post-cruise in late May/early June. We have Marriott points, so we're limiting our hotel search to Marriott properties. Right now, we're considering the Marriott Renaissance Barcelona Hotel or the Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions, pros, cons, etc.? Much thanks!

We'll be staying in Barcelona one night pre and post-cruise in late May/early June. We have Marriott points, so we're limiting our hotel search to Marriott properties. Right now, we're considering the Marriott Renaissance Barcelona Hotel or the Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions, pros, cons, etc.? Much thanks!

We stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel (on points) last September. Great location; you're within walking distance of the Gothic Quarter, La Sagrada Familia, and the Gaudi residences while still located on a quiet street. The rooms were large and well-appointed in that typical sleek-but-could-be-anywhere decor. Excellent breakfast buffet with the option of adding a free individually-prepared hot egg dish. My husband took advantage of this two mornings. I was more than content with the buffet offerings, especially the fruit, cheese, and meats.

The Renaissance Barcelona has a great location on its own merits, but it's particularly great compared to the Fira. The Fira isn't within walking distance of any of the sights/sites you might want to visit. Go to the Fira's web page and click on the Google maps link. Then, keep clicking on the minus symbol to display a wider and wider section of Barcelona. ON the third click, you'll first see the lower end of the Ramblas and on the fourth click, you'll find the location of the Renaissance Barcelona and La Sagrada Familia.

These hotels are not equivalent. The Renaissance Barcelona is in one of the best neighborhoods of Barcelona and a Barcelona experience from here will be much enhanced.

The only benefit for a leisure traveler of the Barcelona Fira property would be that it is a little closer to the airport.

Funny thing is that while booked with the Ren Barcelona, I personally did not get to experience them. This will not happen to you booking with points, but I had actually booked them for the night prior to my Trans-Atlantic arrival in April and had a friend go to check in the room so I could get in at 5 AM. I had booked a 2 night stay to guarantee my early arrival would be honored.

Well, of all times, they walked me to the AC Barcelona Forum a 4 star hotel far away from this area, and thought that was ok. Well, I had booked on Priceline and they tried to pull a fast one..... I went there and wasted most of my day in Barcelona getting a true 5 star hotel in the city from them and as I had booked on Priceline they did not know I had gold status with Marriott.... to say the least they got me into another 5 star hotel for the 2nd night ...but even with that....

recommendation goes to Renaissance Barcelona as the best located