Favorite Hawaiian Food Trucks?

RUDIMAY1

Rudymay1 we stayed at the Hilton a few days before our 3/1 cruise and we found a shrimp truck in the parking lot at the beach there. We had garlic shrimp and fish tacos that came with amazing garlic fries. I believe the name was Gillian's Beach Shack and it was a huge hit with our family. We also ate a few breakfasts and our first dinner at a diner that was across the street from the Hilton called the Wailana Coffee House. They had really good Mai Tai's for $4!

thanks just peeked at Gillians on facebook and trip advisor. As their ad says Garlic shrimp without having to go to the Northshore.

Finding local food is one of the enjoyments of travelling.

Things I have enjoyed.

On this Hawaii - Vancouver cruise in a few weeks

Shrimp off food trucks - Hawaii

Dungeness crab - Victoria BC

The local experience!

Except of course that "garlic shrimp" is not a local food in Hawaii. You will find very few, if any, locals eating at the shrimp trucks any more than you'd find a local in San Francisco eating clam chowder out of a sourdough bread bowl. They are both tourist items that few locals eat.

Truly local food trucks are ones in Honolulu like Pacific Soul, Koi, Aloha Plate, da ala carte and Elena's, to name a few. Then there are the local food trucks not doing island food like Cholo's, Puffette's, DatCajunGuy and Pit Stop.

You'll see almost exclusively Oahu residents at these trucks, not tourists. If you really want "local" food, these are the ones to hit.

Edited by scottca075

Except of course that "garlic shrimp" is not a local food in Hawaii. You will find very few, if any, locals eating at the shrimp trucks any more than you'd find a local in San Francisco eating clam chowder out of a sourdough bread bowl. They are both tourist items that few locals eat.

Truly local food trucks are ones in Honolulu like Pacific Soul, Koi, Aloha Plate, da ala carte and Elena's, to name a few. Then there are the local food trucks not doing island food like Cholo's, Puffette's, DatCajunGuy and Pit Stop.

You'll see almost exclusively Oahu residents at these trucks, not tourists. If you really want "local" food, these are the ones to hit.

I will look for them and give them a try. Thanks.

There is a new spot on Maui where several food trucks are parked every day. It's across Costco, 5 min drive from Kahului harbor if you dock there. Awesome food! Recommend Three's bar and grill.

Thanks for the info. We will be docked at Lahaina. With all the restaurants I would like to try at Lahaina I don't think I will need a food truck but you never know. Plus we are going to the Old Lahaina Luau so I need some room in my belly.