Bermuda on the Grandeur Review 7/17/05

We just returned from a wonderful 5 night cruise to Bermuda. This was a family cruise with my family, my sister and her husband and my parents. My parents have cruised many times before and my Mom said that this was one of the best. Now I'll touch on a few things:

Embarkation/Debarkation - very easy. The port is so easy to get to, and being 20 minutes from the port really sold us on this cruise.

Cruising - the trip down the bay the first night was nice, albeit there were some thunder storms. However the entire cruise we didnot have any rough seas that I could tell. I was concerned because my son tends to get motion sickness - and he was just fine. We stayed up late the last night and went out on deck to watch the approach to the Bay Bridge/Tunnel. We went through at midnight and it was an awesome sight.

Days at Sea - we found plenty to do - as little or as much as you want. My kids didn't care to go to the kids club but found plenty to do otherwise. My son and husband climbed the rock wall many times. My daughter, Mom and I played Bingo and some other games. My son's only comment was that he would have liked a basketball court. But the ping pong table gave him his daily dose of competition. The pool was nice and we always found a chair and a place in the pool. The centrum was nice, but hot. My dad said the roof was open one day, but it started raining and they closed it.

Bermuda - absolutely beautiful! Docked at Kings Wharf was perfect - beautiful views, nice shopping, access to transportation. I saw all the ports the cruise ships docked and I would pick King's Wharf as the place to be. I did not do any excursions through the ship. I arranged my excursions myself. The first morning we took a taxi tour of the island. I arranged it with Lloyd Smart of VIP Taxi Service. He met us the first morning right outside the ship and we toured the entire island checking out all the sights. That afternoon we went directly across from the ship to the watersports center. My husband and son went on a jet ski tour and had a great time. My daughter and I went parasailing. It was great - we rode together and didn't even get wet. Such a great view. The next day I arranged a snorkle tour through Jessie James Snorkeling. We rode the ferry to Hamilton to meet the tour. Only 16 participants which made it nice. We snorkled at a beach, a shipwreck and on a reef. The tour was about 3 hours and we all enjoyed it. That afternoon we did some shopping at the dockyard and returned in time for the ship to leave. I felt we saw and did everything in Bermuda we wanted to. The weather was perfect, except for a shower right before we left.

Dining - we ate all our dinners in the dining room. The staff was excellent and able to satisfy our every need. These people are so eager to please it was so nice to be spoiled a bit. We had a window table in the dining room which was an extra treat. My son's birthday was during the cruise and they sang happy birthday and brought him his dessert with a candle. He really felt special. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer. We loved getting a seat by the window as it was such a beautiful view. There were never long lines and getting what you wanted to eat was always easy. Here again the staff was so attentative always clearing away your plate as soon as you were finished. The Windjammer is one of my favorite things about Royal Caribbean.

Entertainment - we went to the show each night and all were quite excellent. The lead singer, a black female (who's name I can't remember) was absolutely a fantastic singer. She received tons of applause. The magician was good and entertaining. The last night there was a comedian (can't remember his name either). He was the one with a uni-cycle. Anyway, he was so funny my entire family could't stop laughing.

Stateroom - we had an oceanview cabin on deck 4 (room 4554) with our kids in an inside cabin across the hall. The room was very spacious with lots of storage space. My Mom said that this was the most storage space she had ever had on a cruise. She also said she couldn't believe the number of hangars they gave you in the closet. Our rooms were always made up by the time we returned to the room - such a nice treat. Bring a clock from home as there are no clocks in the room.

Only Complaint - The only thing that we really didn't like was the smoking in the Champagne Bar. Our room was down the hallway from the smoking bar and the hall smelled like smoke alot of the time. Also, when we cleaned up for dinner, we had to pass through the smokey bar to get to the dining room. This was the only place on the ship that the smoke bothered us. We noticed that several other out of the way bars were "no smoking" that could have been "smoking". So I don't understand why they would make the Champagne Bar smoking being that it is in such a public place where everyone has to pass through. It is on the bottom floor of the open centrum and the smoke just rises up all the floors. That being said this issue did in no way ruin the wonderful time we had. I just wanted others to be aware of it.

Overall, we had an absolutely wonderful family vacation. Plently to do for every age and enough rest and relaxation if you wanted. I will definately cruise Royal Caribbean again.

• 2 weeks later...

Seapup - The cost was $36 per hour for up to 4 people. Yes, he took us all over. The tour ended up being 4.5 hours, which was a bit long. I had originally said 3-4 hours. I think the best thing to do is tell him the specific things are are anxious to see and say specifically what time you want to be back at the ship. We did get to see everything, but the one thing we wanted to see were the southshore beaches which we didn't see until the very end of the tour and by that time we were really tired - the kids were restless. But I was glad I had pre-arranged it. He was waiting for us as soon as the ship docked and we were on our way by 9:00. My parents booked the taxi tour through the ship and the only time they gave them for the tour was 2:00 in the afternoon. They didn't get to see nearly as much as we saw on our tour. Hope this helps. PS - I am from Annapolis too!

Rosie Kate,

We were on the same sailing! We loved Bermuda so much we havebooked this cruise again for next July, this time taking the kids! We rented scooters & rode all over, a little scary at first, then got used to it! For all of you getting ready to cruise to Bermuda, dont miss Horseshoe Bay or Warwick Long Bay.. absoutely beautiful!!!

The Grandeur is a wonderful ship & the crew treats you like royalty!

Archived