Jet Skis in Great Stirrup Cay

My boyfriend and I are considering Jet Skiing while in GSC (well, he insists on it, I'm still deciding) but have a few questions to those who have done it before- there specifically.

1. Is the tour worth the price? If it were just riding around out in the ocean I wouldnt really be very interested in it, but it seems like it's partly a tour of the Berry Islands as well, which seems cool to me.

2. Should we do the double rider or the single? Renting two singles seems silly, however, how closely do they follow the weight restrictions? Combined, we're probably about 5-10 lbs under the maximum, but after 4 days on the ship with unlimited food - who knows what we'll weigh haha. Seriously though, do they weigh you right there? If so, will probably just let him go alone, but for $30 more it might be fun to join!

3. How often do prices fluctuate? When I looked last week it was $69 for a single rider and $99 for a double. Was going to book it yesterday and then realized the prices went up to $89 for a single rider and $119 for double :mad: Not happy. Are there chances of it going down again?

My boyfriend and I are considering Jet Skiing while in GSC (well, he insists on it, I'm still deciding) but have a few questions to those who have done it before- there specifically.

1. Is the tour worth the price? If it were just riding around out in the ocean I wouldnt really be very interested in it, but it seems like it's partly a tour of the Berry Islands as well, which seems cool to me.

Unfortunately I can't comment on this one. Hubby unfortunately had a phobia about tipping over and falling off so he didn't keep up with the group for the tour part and we got so far behind we had our own guide just to keep us on the right path. We did catch up with the group when we stopped for a starfish break. The guides found a huge starfish and we got pictures with it and then rounded back to the dock. We got to go full throttle on that part which was pretty fun :)

2. Should we do the double rider or the single? Renting two singles seems silly, however, how closely do they follow the weight restrictions? Combined, we're probably about 5-10 lbs under the maximum, but after 4 days on the ship with unlimited food - who knows what we'll weigh haha. Seriously though, do they weigh you right there? If so, will probably just let him go alone, but for $30 more it might be fun to join!

We did single riders because we would be over the maximum on a double. I didn't see any scales or weight equipment there for them to be checking. I would think that as long as the jetski doesn't dip below the waterline when you push off you're probably ok. There's a certain amount of buoyancy and power needed to operate it without damage. So if you're at or under I don't think it'll be a problem. Hubby is a pretty hefty guy (at the time within 60 lbs of the double maximum) and he had no trouble flying on it.

3. How often do prices fluctuate? When I looked last week it was $69 for a single rider and $99 for a double. Was going to book it yesterday and then realized the prices went up to $89 for a single rider and $119 for double :mad: Not happy. Are there chances of it going down again?

It can change depending on how well it's selling. I booked about 6 months out and when it got closer to sailing (2 months I want to say, not sure) it dropped $20 pp. Not sure if it was a promotion or what but I called the shore excursion desk and they were able to rebook at the new rate and refunded my money.

The other thing to consider is when looking at the shore excursion list without being signed into your reservation, they show the minimum prices ("starting from $69" etc) Once you log into your reservation to book it it will show the actual price for that cruise. So it could be it was the higher prices for a while now but you weren't signed into your reservation for some reason when check last week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a price drop for ya :)

Hope that helps some.

HI,

My husband and myself did the Jet skis last May on GSC. We had a blast. We did the double. We paid 119 and felt it was worth it. They have guides that take you out around the island and stop at certain points , give you a brief history . In one area the guides get off the skis and show you the large starfish in the waters. The guides are locals from the berry islands. They are very accommodating. The water is like glass, calm so there are no waves to jump and it is a smooth ride. The water is crystal clear, the funny thing is you could be in 8-10 ft of water and see clear to the bottom. ( you do not go out into the ocean)

As far as weight, I would either ask at the shore excursion desk or when you get to GSC. You actually walk(short distance) to the other side of the island where there is a building . They have lockers to store your personal items if you need.They have you watch a short video of the jet skis, take you out to the dock and show you how to operate them. I know when we went they had extra jet skis so if you decided to change last minute to 2 singles they could accommodate you. Also the tour guides will take your camera if you bring one and take photo's of you while riding.

As far as the price I booked when we got onboard.

hope this helps

It was worth it! They allow you to go really fast so it's kind of a rough ride, but fun. My husband and I were also toward the top of the weight limit on a double so we definitely trailed behind the other riders who were mostly singles. The guides were super nice about us being behind so as long as it doesn't bother you, it's fine. They didn't weight us and I didn't see any place that they could.

My biggest suggestion is DON'T GET OFF TO SEE THE STAR FISH! The water is about 3-4 feet deep and you need a lot of upper body strength to get yourself back on the jet ski. It was very cool to see the star fish, but the guides would have brought the star fish to us and I should have let them. I did end up getting back on myself, just as the guides were coming over to help me, but it was not a pretty sight. LOL

It was worth it! They allow you to go really fast so it's kind of a rough ride, but fun. My husband and I were also toward the top of the weight limit on a double so we definitely trailed behind the other riders who were mostly singles. The guides were super nice about us being behind so as long as it doesn't bother you, it's fine. They didn't weight us and I didn't see any place that they could.

My biggest suggestion is DON'T GET OFF TO SEE THE STAR FISH! The water is about 3-4 feet deep and you need a lot of upper body strength to get yourself back on the jet ski. It was very cool to see the star fish, but the guides would have brought the star fish to us and I should have let them. I did end up getting back on myself, just as the guides were coming over to help me, but it was not a pretty sight. LOL

This was so us! I had bruises on my legs trying to get back on. :D

We lagged behind too and I found it was very rough on my back when we tried to catch up to the other riders (crossing their waves) I would never do it as a double again, I would get my own.

Your price may be high right now because it is Spring Break time when you are going.

Thank you EVERYONE for the info, was exactly what I needed! I'm hoping that the prices go down - if I had known about this whole spring break business before I booked I would have waited and booked mid April instead - I'm already annoyed about missing out on UBP and now more expensive excursions - ugh!

I don't think the boyfriend would be happy if us being on a jet ski together means that he has to go slower,I'd probably have to hear him complain about it the rest of the vacation so maybe I'll just let him go and I'll have a margarita and get a tan on the beach haha :D Unless of course the prices go down and we can both get singles (fingers crossed)

Thanks again, all!

(Just as a side note, this may be a silly question, but when people on these boards refer to their significant other or it seems children they use terms like DH or DS - again, it may be obvious, but what does it stand for?! :confused::):rolleyes:

(Just as a side note, this may be a silly question, but when people on these boards refer to their significant other or it seems children they use terms like DH or DS - again, it may be obvious, but what does it stand for?! :confused::):rolleyes:

Not a silly question - took me quite a while to figure out the lingo as well! DH - Dear Husband, DS - Dear Son...etc. There are still acronyms that appear in threads that I have to scratch my head on! LOL

Not a silly question - took me quite a while to figure out the lingo as well! DH - Dear Husband, DS - Dear Son...etc. There are still acronyms that appear in threads that I have to scratch my head on! LOL

Ah! Thank you! I had a feeling the "h" stood for husband, but that "d" was throwing me off lol I Now, like you said, just to figure out all the other lingo :D