Too young to cruise?

AllyCat81

I'm new posting on this board... hubby & I have cruised Carnival a few times before, but now have a little one in tow!

I really want to take our daughter on vacation this year (she'll be 1 in August), but is that too young? I know she's not going to remember anything from this trip, but I don't think that's a reason to stay home.

So my question is, how old were your children when you first cruised with them and how was your experience? Thanks!

I'm new posting on this board... hubby & I have cruised Carnival a few times before, but now have a little one in tow!

I really want to take our daughter on vacation this year (she'll be 1 in August), but is that too young? I know she's not going to remember anything from this trip, but I don't think that's a reason to stay home.

So my question is, how old were your children when you first cruised with them and how was your experience? Thanks!

Daughter was 9 months old. She had a blast! Of course doesn't remember a thing but loves to look at the photo books we made of the cruise. We had early dining and would take her to the pool midday then she would nap several hours and be great in time for dinner. Usually went back to the cabin changed her into pjs and went to the show then off to bed! Don't forget to request a crib if you will need one....they go quick. Also loved the nursery.

As long as you appreciate that the child won't remember anything and that you are really doing the cruise for the parents, what difference does it make? The youngest cruiser I'm aware of was 2 days past the 12 week mark (Can't book younger than this!).

Honestly, cruising is easier than having them at home in some ways. Your stateroom host will empty the diaper genie, set up and take down the crib per your instructions. The "babysitter" (nursery) is right down the hall. Downside--cruising with infant isn't as easy as leaving baby at home. Nursery costs serious money. Naps can interfere with pool time.

If you want to take the baby, go for it.

Cruising with a kid? Not too shabby, with the understanding that activities may be limited, excursions, etc. The tradeoff is easy babysitting, your hotel room moves with you and you have tons of support onboard.

Getting to and from the cruise? Not as much fun dealing with car seats and strollers and diaper bags and overhead bins, etc.

It's really a personal decision on how you think the little one will handle the trip and will you be able to relax and enjoy it..

I've see it go many ways. Some parents can't conceive of using the nursery for example, then complain they had no time for themselves. Others had a plan and loved it. Some parents had no idea how to travel with a little one at all (these are the ones who can't handle the concept of remove screaming kid from dining room). The fact that you are asking means you are at least aware there are potential challenges.

Even though your kid won't have many memories, you'll be there too and you'll have plenty of memories of having fun with her.

My youngest was almost four when we cruised for the first time 15 years ago. He remembers the Mickey pool, and a lot of the Kids' club.