AutoProgreso Bus Confusion?

Can anyone tell me if AutoProgreso is the "official" city bus to Merida? I know AP is a tour provider for all kinds of activities, but are they also the Merida "city bus"?

AP charges $10/pp to go to Merida (d/k if round trip or 1-way). I've been told there's a $3 round trip/pp bus to Merida. I know one bus makes several stops between Progreso & Merida. Does the AP bus do the same?

I'm trying to budget my time on a DIY tour of Merida & need to plan my return trip back to the ship. Thanks so much for any enlightenment.

We live near Progreso in the winter. I have never used the Autoprogreso Cruise Tours, but use the Autoprogreso bus service between Progreso and Merida frequently. Here is a link to AP's website. http://www.autoprogreso.com/ Autoprogreso is not the "official' bus service between Merida and Progreso, but it is the only one. Busses leave Progreso from their terminal near the lighthouse, whichi is also where the shuttle from the pier drops off passengers. On cruise ship days there are usually several cruise ship passengers on the bus. In conversations they have decided to forgo the AP tour and explore on their own. Bus fare was $25 Mex (about $2), but I have not ridden the bus this year. Prices have gone up. The bus drops you off near the center of Merida. Busses run every 15 minutes and there is no reserved seating. I think there is a map with the bus route in Merida. Since central Merida has all one way streets, the bus back to Progreso is on a different street than arrival. Depending on traffic and number of stops, the ride takes about 45 minutes from terminal to terminal.

We live near Progreso in the winter. I have never used the Autoprogreso Cruise Tours, but use the Autoprogreso bus service between Progreso and Merida frequently. Here is a link to AP's website. http://www.autoprogreso.com/ Autoprogreso is not the "official' bus service between Merida and Progreso, but it is the only one. Busses leave Progreso from their terminal near the lighthouse, whichi is also where the shuttle from the pier drops off passengers. On cruise ship days there are usually several cruise ship passengers on the bus. In conversations they have decided to forgo the AP tour and explore on their own. Bus fare was $25 Mex (about $2), but I have not ridden the bus this year. Prices have gone up. The bus drops you off near the center of Merida. Busses run every 15 minutes and there is no reserved seating. I think there is a map with the bus route in Merida. Since central Merida has all one way streets, the bus back to Progreso is on a different street than arrival. Depending on traffic and number of stops, the ride takes about 45 minutes from terminal to terminal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ever so much, WisRiver! Your clarification helped me immensely. Just knowing the streets are one-way & that the pick-up point for the return trip back to Progreso is in a different location than the original drop-off has saved me a mountain of stress!:eek:

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions please. Since I don't speak Spanish, how will I know which stop in Merida is the stop I want when getting off the bus (Plaza Grande)? Is it clearly evident or does the driver announce it shortly before the stop? The approximate $2 fare is a one-way ticket, correct? Do they accept dollar bills or should I exchange some $$$ into pesos beforehand? Again, your Progreso expertise is so appreciated & has a calming effect on my frazzled, control-freak wrecked nerves.:o

In answer to some of your questions. I do not know if AP takes US dollars for bus fare, since I pay in pesos. There are several ATM's on Calle 78 near the bus station where you can get pesos. The AP drivers usually do not speak English. If you ask for Plaza Grande, they will usually tell you. Lots of people get off near the Plaza. There are several good maps available on line. I do not know what kind of maps are available on board. Other passengers on the bus may help you. If you go all the way to the end the bus ride, the AP terminal is about 4 blocks from the Plaza Grande. On the AP website they describe the bus route.

Heading back look for a group of people standing on a corner you think is the route. "Este es un autobus para Progreso?" "Is this the bus for Progreso" will probably get you the information you need. People in Merida are extremely helpful. There are supposed to be tourist advisers on the street in El Centro. I think they have green shirts, plus there are several TI offices in the central part of the city.

"Este es un autobus para Progreso?" "Is this the bus for Progreso" will probably get you the information you need.

WisRiver, once again, you've armed me with valuable information! Thanks so much for passing along the Spanish translation of the actual phase that I'm supposed to say. Even with the handicap of not being able to read or speak Spanish, I feel more confident now that we can do this thing on our own, not get lost & still make the ship in time.

I promise this will be the last question that I ask.:o I've read conflicting reports as to how much time to allow for the return bus trip from Merida to Progreso. I realize that I should allow for a much more crowded bus on the return trip that will require additional stops. I've read allow anywhere from 45 minutes to 2-1/2 hours when leaving Merida before ship boarding time. Do you know approximately how much time I should allow to get back to Progreso on a typical Monday afternoon?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Your question about return time is hard to answer. I think I said somewhere that return time is about 45 minutes. The AP website says 55 minutes. I cannot say exactly how long it has taken me, since I usually catch a collective in Porgreso to get home or am meeting someone in Progreso. I would say that if you should budget an hour for the return. There is street construction on Calle 60 in Merida. In my personal opinion if it took 2½ hours to make the trip something major must have gone wrong. In the afternoon you will be riding with commuters who want to get home as quickly as possible. AP wants to keep those commuters happy.

I cannot say exactly how long it has taken me, since I usually catch a collectivo in Porgreso to get home or am meeting someone in Progreso.

OK, John, I lied...I thought of another question to ask! :o You mentioned a buzz word & it got me to thinking. ;) Am I right in assuming that a collectivo is a taxi? Do you know how much a round trip taxi from Progreso to Merida costs? If not, can I obtain this information at the AutoProgreso terminal in Progreso? Is that where the taxis are located, in addition to the buses?

I would rather take a taxi to Merida because it would be quicker & I could beat the bus traffic, plus it would also ensure a quicker return to the ship. However, the cheaper way is the bus. Do you have any recommendations for a particular taxi company or taxi driver that I should use?

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions, John. You've been a wealth of information and our trip to Merida will be much more enjoyable because of you. :)

A collectivo is not a taxi. It is a shared ride van that makes numbers stops between towns. You can hire a taxi for the day, but I do not know the costs. There are taxi stands near the AP bus terminal. Enjoy your time in the Yucatan.