Renting a car

travelingtrish

Has anyone rented a car in Grand Cayman? I remember reading a previous post someone suggested driving to the south part of the island. Has anyone been there? Is it worth going over there? We have already been to Sting Ray City. I was also thinking of getting a day pass to an all inclusive resort? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We rented a jeep and drove over to Rum Point. It was beautiful. However, you drive on the opposite side of the road and they have tons of round abouts without street lights. When we were in the downtown area, my husband almost got us killed. Once we got out of the busy city, we were fine. But, that said, I won't ever let him drive me around there again! Lol, he doesn't do round abouts very well in the USA!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you don't mind if I join in with this thread OP. We're British so driving on the left and roundabouts are what we do ;), but would be glad to know if the process of getting the car (thinking Avis online?) from the rental depot is easy.

We have never cruised before and our itinerary (for Jan 2015) shows the duration at Grand Cayman to be from 7 am to 4 pm and we are early risers so could be off the boat asap. Is it that easy? Would we really have up to 9 hours ashore?

Thanks.

We rented from Avis. They gave us instructions to walk to the Blue Iguana Shop and someone picked us up there and took us to the airport where we got our Jeep. It was very easy. If you are used to the driving, I would say go for it! It was really easy to drive around the island, we just had a hard time in the "city". On the other side of the island there are some beautiful public beaches and Rum point is very pretty.

We rented from Avis. They gave us instructions to walk to the Blue Iguana Shop and someone picked us up there and took us to the airport where we got our Jeep. It was very easy. If you are used to the driving, I would say go for it! It was really easy to drive around the island, we just had a hard time in the "city". On the other side of the island there are some beautiful public beaches and Rum point is very pretty.

Thanks for that information. We will definitely be doing this :)