Cameras vs your cell phone

A cruise ship is only a mode of transportation (albeit a comfortable one) to get me from on photo location to the next. :D

Most good pictures are a result of the person holding the camera...not the camera. A person who knows what they are doing can use a cheap point and shoot and get good shots while somebody who knows nothing won't be able to get a good shot even using a Hasselblad or Leica camera.

Ahh... Between my boyfriend and I, the minimum we'll have on our cruise in September is each of our cell phone cameras, two dSLRs (Nikon D7000 for him, Canon 60D for me), several lenses for each of those, and probably at least 2, if not 3, film bodies and their respective lens assortments. I am also considering getting a waterproof point-and-shoot or a point-and-shoot with good underwater capabilities that I can stick a little protective thing on to use it underwater. Add to this the filters, tripods, batteries, and other crazy accessories between us and you can imagine where the bulk of our packing difficulties will come in.

THANK GOODNESS we are leaving from NYC, so we only have to travel about 13 miles to the port.

Overkill? Maybe for someone else, but James and I will most likely use most, if not all, the equipment we bring, as we are both avid hobbyist photographers.

Ahh... Between my boyfriend and I, the minimum we'll have on our cruise in September is each of our cell phone cameras, two dSLRs (Nikon D7000 for him, Canon 60D for me), several lenses for each of those, and probably at least 2, if not 3, film bodies and their respective lens assortments. I am also considering getting a waterproof point-and-shoot or a point-and-shoot with good underwater capabilities that I can stick a little protective thing on to use it underwater. Add to this the filters, tripods, batteries, and other crazy accessories between us and you can imagine where the bulk of our packing difficulties will come in.

THANK GOODNESS we are leaving from NYC, so we only have to travel about 13 miles to the port.

Overkill? Maybe for someone else, but James and I will most likely use most, if not all, the equipment we bring, as we are both avid hobbyist photographers.

Do you have a website or blog where you post your pictures?

Do you have a website or blog where you post your pictures?

Both of us use deviant art, although he is far more likely than I am to actually get around to posting anything ever. That's kind of my issue right now; I take a lot of photos, and then they just sit there for ages. I need to fix that. I want to get into blogging regularly, but I always forget or get wrapped up in thinking my life is too boring to share with anybody, and next thing I know I haven't posted in six months. It's seriously an issue.

Both of us use deviant art, although he is far more likely than I am to actually get around to posting anything ever. That's kind of my issue right now; I take a lot of photos, and then they just sit there for ages. I need to fix that. I want to get into blogging regularly, but I always forget or get wrapped up in thinking my life is too boring to share with anybody, and next thing I know I haven't posted in six months. It's seriously an issue.

It's sounds like you take pictures for the pure enjoyment of taking pictures. My wife is like that as well. She finally got her own website where she posts pictures she takes and makes into slideshows. It's a great way to capture memorable moments.

Happy cruising!

It's sounds like you take pictures for the pure enjoyment of taking pictures. My wife is like that as well. She finally got her own website where she posts pictures she takes and makes into slideshows. It's a great way to capture memorable moments.

Happy cruising!

I do, but I would kind of love it if I actually got somewhere with my photography and got to take it to another level. Photography and writing are those two hobbies I have that I just wish I could get somewhere else, yet the part of me that is longing to still be in college and incredibly lazy keeps taking over. Maybe I'll try to update my dA with some more stuff soon...

I know I plan on sharing at least some photos from the Norwegian Breakaway and Bermuda on CC after my trip in September! I'm also thinking about going down to the terminal some random Sunday to photograph the ships in-port.

I know I plan on sharing at least some photos from the Norwegian Breakaway and Bermuda on CC after my trip in September! I'm also thinking about going down to the terminal some random Sunday to photograph the ships in-port.

This is really a great idea. Think of your pictures as a gateway to a cruise experience for a newbie or someone who has never sailed on NCL and may be thinking about it.

I encourage you to post your pictures here on CC. This would at least give you an idea of what people like to see as far as cruise related pictures. It would also be a good experience for you to learn from. :)

This is really a great idea. Think of your pictures as a gateway to a cruise experience for a newbie or someone who has never sailed on NCL and may be thinking about it.

I encourage you to post your pictures here on CC. This would at least give you an idea of what people like to see as far as cruise related pictures. It would also be a good experience for you to learn from. :)

Hehe, yeah... Just gotta avoid that procrastination thing. And a trip down to the cruise terminal will require far nicer weather. It's been way too long of a winter up here.

• 2 weeks later...

I developed the pictures I took with my cellphone and the pictures ended up being grainy. Perfect if you just want a digital copy, but if you want to print the pictures or blow them up, I would invest in a good camera. I am glad I found this out before I go on my first cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello all,

I agree with poster South Paw with the underwater camera. I booked a couple of excursions going to the waterfalls and do not plan to ruin my phone in the mist. With your cell your'e going to take nice pictures and then you probably may be compelled to spend another couple of minutes checking text, emails (we all do this ;)). This is my first cruise and Im looking forward to visiting the beutiful ports of call. If I walk around with the phone attached to my hip I may miss beautiful views of the countryside. Once I board Im socking the phone away and will not look at it until we return to San Juan.

Its a vacation:D

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Tee718&date=2-21-2015&text=&ship=Jewel of the Seas

There's little doubt that today's cell phones take amazing pictures...considering their size. They're also easy to carry, and you can get a pic off in no time. As some posters stated though, it's all well and good until you need a larger image. On my last cruise I brought my Nikon D3100, which is my backup DSLR camera and ONE lens. I also brought my SeaLife DC 1400 for underwater use, which takes amazing videos and pics. I also brought a small Panasonic video cam, which DW used a lot. I did have my GoPro with me, but I had just gotten it the day before departure, so there was no time to learn how to use it. A proper camera is essential if you want to capture really high quality images, but you really don't need to bring as many options as I did. If I were you, and I was going to the Carribean, I'd bring one good underwater camera. If it's a good underwater camera, it will also be a good land camera. It'll be light weight, easy to use (especially on land), and you'll get the excellent quality that you're looking for. One camera can cover your needs, for sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

I took my camera and got some awesome shots without even trying! If I had used my phone, it would've taken me hours to get a great shot. The pics were so great, when we got home people asked to borrow my camera. The main reason I didn't want to use my phone is because I'm attached to it all the time on land. It was nice to completely cut the leash for a week!

• 1 month later...

I have a nice little Canon Poweshot A480 which does me just fine. Photos I'll download onto my tablet, then connect via wifi in London to post to Flickr. Not taking my phone. :)