Beach safety

Heleftherakiss

I just returned from the same cruise you're questioning and felt comfortable leaving my backpack with electronics and small amount of cash. I wouldn't bring credit cards or too much cash with you. I don't think credit cards were accepted anywhere on the island and the only cash transactions would be for souvenirs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For snorkeling I take a dry bag (can buy at REI, EMS, etc.), put my stuff in, fill with air, and seal closed. Then I use string to tie it to my body with a bit of line, like a leash. It'll float behind you as you swim. For extra insurance I'll put my stuff in a zip lock before putting it into the dry bag. I usually only bring the essentials so you're not dragging too much stuff!

This also takes barely any room in your suitcase since it packs flat.

This is what a dry bag looks like:

http://assets.sectionhiker.com/wp-content/uploads/thumbskeep/IMG_1504.JPG

Edited by 7trainrat

For snorkeling I take a dry bag, fill with air, and seal closed. Then I use string to tie it to my body with a bit of line, like a leash. It'll float behind you as you swim.

1. Is it florescent orange, with a whistle and a little light?

2. Have you been stealing from the top shelf in your cabin wardrobe?

:D :D :D

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have been cruising for 29 years and are beach people. Never had anything taken! My small digital camera goes in my shorts pocket with my ship's card and driver's license with maybe $20-$30 cash. I fold up my shorts when I take them off and they go in our beach bag. My husbands shorts & shirt go in bag next. He has a Velcro pocket where cash and his stuff goes. I get a waterproof throw a way camera and usually take that into the water with me. We often don't have chairs or lounges so our beach bag just sits on the beach next to our towels.

You shouldn't have any problems and both of you go in the water together! (You can ask people next to you to keep an eye on your stuff but we never do.)