First Time Cruiser on Crown Princess-Help

Ottermom

Lots of good information already provided, but I thought I'd give my two cents' worth on a couple of the questions you had.....

how soon do we book our specialty dinner night?

As mentioned, you want to do that as soon as you can upon boarding. I don't think anyone mentioned, however, the Chef's Table experience. I've done it a couple of times, and while pricey ($95 per person), it includes ALL the wine, so much amazing food that you'll have to be rolled away at the end, a wonderful galley tour and specially made appetizers, and you're hosted by the ship's Executive Chef and Maitre'd. I highly recommend doing this at least once if it is of interest to you.

When and where do we arrange a drink package?

You can purchase this almost as soon as you step on board, get it from any one of the bars, or in any of the dining rooms. Here's a hint, if memory serves, if you can wait until the ship actually sails away, I don't believe you get dinged for the sales tax. There are different types of drink packages, ranging from just soda, to the higher level package called the UKP pkg (includes fruit juices, smoothies, virgin cocktails, etc.), and now they have an alcohol package available (which also include all of the other beverages previously mentioned, including specialty coffees). I have tried the alcohol packages on other cruiselines previously, and can tell you that the nicest thing about them is you don't have to even think about your bar bill again for the duration. It's less about drinking as much as you possibly can, than it is about just not having to think about it so much, and really relaxing. I have heard that some people have been allowed to purchase the alcohol packages ahead of time for some sailings. You could try to call the cruise line and find out.

Can we really bring on our own water and soda?

Yes you can, but it's likely not worth it to bring the bottled water, because each Princess ship basically has a top of the line water filtration system. In other words, the case of bottled water you just schlepped on board may be the same if not as good quality as the water that comes out of the tap on the ship. Sodas are a different story, especially if you like something particular that may not be on board. As suggested, slap a luggage tag on it with your cabin number, and drop it off with the rest of the luggage at the port. If you want to include more than one case, use clear packing tape to tape them together securely, and put a luggage tag on it. I've done this before, and while you may end up with a dented can or two, it's generally just fine. I don't recommend putting them in your luggage, or in some cases you could end up with soda on your clothing.

If we bring on wine, can we take that bottle to dinner?

Yes, but since you're limited to one bottle per person, ostensibly to drink in your cabin, you could just reserve the ones you bring on board for cabin use, and purchase dinner wine on board. Then, no corkage fee would apply at all.

Is there an uncorking charge?

Yes, but only beyond the one bottle per person you bring on, or what you bring to the dining room, and I believe that charge is $15/bottle.

What about mystery charges?

As mentioned above, the only charge automatically added to your account (aside from specific things that you purchase and sign for) are the daily gratuities, which show up as a Hotel Charge.

Is the Sanctuary worth it?

Personally, I have tried the Sanctuary a couple of times, for a couple of half-days. It was absolutely lovely and relaxing, with some of the most comfortable loungers I've ever experienced. You have a limited menu of snacks that can be delivered ($3 delivery charge), and for however long you have paid for (half day, whole day, multiple days), that lounger is yours alone.....so you don't have to fight for it, don't have to wander around looking for a spot, etc. I have particularly enjoyed the Sanctuary on sea days in the Caribbean, but if I were doing an Alaskan itinerary where the temps might be quite a bit cooler, I don't know how much I'd want to hang there. It would depend on how warm/cool it is.

Is there a charge for room service?

I won't repeat what was mentioned above, but I will mention that you do also have access to a limited continental breakfast menu if you don't feel like facing the world outside of your cabin first thing in the morning. :rolleyes: Again, there is no charge, but it is always nice to tip the delivery person for their efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruise only back-to-back northbound May 10 then southbound May 17. Have done this itinerary 5 previous times. One of our favorites. We have always done it in May or September (better prices), never really cold any of those times (about 50 high during the day, give or take) but rainy/misty many days. Weather is crazy lately though, so hard to predict for sure. Have a great time!

My DH and I were in the Crown this past December on a Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

The crew were very helpful,pleasant and friendly.

Hopefully,you will experience the same on the Alaskan cruise.

It is wise to pack both warm weather and cold weather clothing.

You can always layer clothing to accomodate the temperature.

A light rainjacket is a good idea.

Not certain that you will need rain pants though.

You might want to take binoculars ,especially for the scenic cruising part of the trip.

Alaska has beautiful scenery-enjoy!

Somewhere on these boards is a great review of an Alaskan cruise tour. It had sugestion for food. Subways, and others. I know they mentioned that they wished that they had got something for the train as the food wasn't that good and it was so expensive. Alaska this year hasn't been as cold as it is in Northeast. Most of all sit back and enjoy your trip, both land and sea.