Celebrity Century Excursions Help Please

westcoastgirl1974

We are a family of 9 booked on the Inside Passage cruise Vancouver roundtrip from May 25 to June 1. During that time, is my daughter's birthday so I'd like to do something fun for her -she'll be 5.

Our stops are :

Icy Strait Point tendered 3pm to 10pm.

Juneau docked 7:30am to 8pm

Ketchikan docked 2pm to 8:30pm

I'd like to do whale watching and perhaps combine it with wildlife viewing in Icy Strait. Any suggestions for independent operators and if we should bother to do the wildlife viewing or just do whalewatching?

In Juneau, I definitely want to see Medenhall but I was also interested in a flight over the Tracy Fjords. However, could I do both? Or should I do a flight in Ketchikan instead?

In Ketchikan, if I didn't do a flight of some sort in Juneau, I thought of doing a float plane or bear sighting flight. Any suggestions? There is a Duck Tour too on a bus that goes into the water that is inexpensive and my daughter would love but I don't know if we can do 2 things in Ketchikan.

If I choose one thing only to do in each port, with one being pricey and the other 2 moderately or inexpensively priced, what would others suggest?

I have looked at Celebrity's site and seen what they have to offer and would rather do our own excursions as I've done in the past in the Caribbean and Mexico. I know that the ship doesn't have to wait for us if we are late, etc., However, with 9 of us on most of the excursions, it makes sense for us to book our own.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

We are a family of 9 booked on the Inside Passage cruise Vancouver roundtrip from May 25 to June 1. During that time, is my daughter's birthday so I'd like to do something fun for her -she'll be 5.

Our stops are :

I'd like to do whale watching and perhaps combine it with wildlife viewing in Icy Strait. Any suggestions for independent operators and if we should bother to do the wildlife viewing or just do whalewatching?

In Juneau, I definitely want to see Medenhall but I was also interested in a flight over the Tracy Fjords. However, could I do both? Or should I do a flight in Ketchikan instead?

In Ketchikan, if I didn't do a flight of some sort in Juneau, I thought of doing a float plane or bear sighting flight. Any suggestions? There is a Duck Tour too on a bus that goes into the water that is inexpensive and my daughter would love but I don't know if we can do 2 things in Ketchikan.

If I choose one thing only to do in each port, with one being pricey and the other 2 moderately or inexpensively priced, what would others suggest?

I have looked at Celebrity's site and seen what they have to offer and would rather do our own excursions as I've done in the past in the Caribbean and Mexico. I know that the ship doesn't have to wait for us if we are late, etc., However, with 9 of us on most of the excursions, it makes sense for us to book our own.

We are on Century June 1

We have booked whale watching with Hoonah Whale watching

They take small groups only

It was 165 each$

We booked thru ship

Juneau Helicopters and glacier walk

Ketchikan we doing the Misty Fjords float planes

Our stops are :

You have several options as you have found. With Hoonah, you will have to take into account tendering, and the time that could be needed. IF you don't have any priority status with the late arrival, the waits could be significant. Your timeframe is not going to be good for bear searching, since you are early. Possible, yes, but not the success rates of August.

Do you have a vendor that flies "Tracy Arm"? Frankly, this would not be my preference since the forte of this area is seen by boat. It is narrow and you're not going to get good views from the air. There are numerous glacier that can be seen via air, so I wouldn't limit my choices to the Sawyers. If you do want to see glaciers from the air, then you need to look out of Juneau. If you want fjords, then I would recommend flights of Misty out of Ketchikan. You are way out of season for any bear viewing flights.

It would be possible to do more than one activity in port, with suitable planning. With any independent vendor- go with their recommendation for timing, AFTER you have fully disclosed your ship and port times.

You have plenty of time for your list. You have time for other activities in Juneau. I suggest you look further and make a general list of possibles before getting into any bookings. Figure out what you are doing then arrange your schedule making the best use of time.

We are on Century July 27- Aug 3 with the same port times. Have booked whale watching with Hoonah Travel Adventures from 4-7 pm in Icy Strait Point. $165pp. 18 person boat with bathroom and heated cabin vs the Celebrity tour on a boat with 150 people. With 7 hours in a tiny port with little shopping and few buildings you pretty much have to book a tour here. It is supposed to be the best for whale watching and then the other ports are freed up for other activities.

In Juneau I figured we would take the blue or white shuttle bus to the Mendenhall glacier first thing ($16 return), hike to the falls and then be back in town by lunch. After lunch then the Mt robert tram ($35 at the door) and shopping around town and be back on the ship by dinner time. The Mendenhall tours with Celebrity are at least $50 and you only get an hour max at the glacier which is not enough time to walk to the falls and back and go in the visitor centre ($3), whereas if you take the shuttle its much cheaper and you can spend more time there. With nine people it might be cheaper to rent two cars instead of $16x9.

Ketchikan is a short port time and the Duck tour is at 3 pm and is only a couple bucks more with Celebrity so likely will just book with the ship for convenience (ahead of time though). The other option is the lumberjack show but it is at 3:15 so we can't do both. Ketchikan is supposed to have the best shopping and we want to wander Creek street and possibly take the funicular tram up the hill and walk Married mans trail back down to Creek street, so that will take the remaining time after the Duck tour is done at 4:30. You might be able to get a float plane tour at 5 pm or so but then you won't have any wandering around time if that matters to you.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Forums mobile app

Edited by SA71

In Juneau I figured we would take the blue or white shuttle bus to the Mendenhall glacier first thing ($16 return), hike to the falls and then be back in town by lunch. After lunch then the Mt robert tram ($35 at the door) and shopping around town and be back on the ship by dinner time. The Mendenhall tours with Celebrity are at least $50 and you only get an hour max at the glacier which is not enough time to walk to the falls and back and go in the visitor centre ($3), whereas if you take the shuttle its much cheaper and you can spend more time there. With nine people it might be cheaper to rent two cars instead of $16x9.

You are not making the same compairisms. The Celebrity tour is a "tour" of Juneau. They make a few stops and it is narrated.

It is not the same as the simple point to point shuttle service. There are also independent tours that are very well done. It depends what preference people have. Not everyone wants to walk to Nugget Falls, and in foul weather, it's not ideal.

Westcoast girl I see you are from Toronto (westcoastgirl?). I am in Vancouver and it seems we are of comparable age as i have a six year old. Feel free to PM me if you want to compare plans.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Forums mobile app