Dress warm to be on deck in Antarctica

JennysUncle

My opinion on Alaska vs Antarctica:

Go to Alaska first. If you do Antarctica first you will be HIGHLY disappointed when you do Alaska later.

Also, before we went, we read a lot on this board. One of the best bits of advice we got was NOT to take any heavy clothing. Rather, take LOTS of layers. It's summer in both Chile and Argentina where you start and end, and gets progressively colder as you head south. By adding successive layers you stay nice and warm, and you dont have to pack 10 suitcases for a 2 week cruise.

We did that trip last year but went from freezing cold to hot climate (30 day trip). So packing was an issue. Instead of a heavy jacket that takes up lots of room we packed down jackets. They weight less than a pound, roll up in a little pouch. You can find them in Costco in late fall, or any department store.

Cost under $50.00.Even though so lightweight, kept us really warm.

We were on the Prinsendam to Antarctica last year.. Since it was a grand cruise (9 Weeks) HAL shipped 2 bags each for us to/from the port.. We also layered our clothing.. Our good Friends loaned DH a down jacket that could be rolled up in a small pouch.. I took a fur vest which lay flat in one of our bags & wore it over a heavy outdoor sweatshirt with hood, which kept me warm.. Most important pieces of clothing for both of us was a wool cap for DH, a fur trimmed wool hat for me which covered our ears, scarves, ski gloves, heavy socks & long underwear for both.. After we left Antarctica I packed all our heavy clothes in one bag & slid it under the bed.. I still took too many clothes, as usual, but I was always warm!:eek:..LOL

We've been to both Alaska & Antarctica.. They are both different & incredibly beautiful! Ruth described Antarctica to a "T" & agree she should sell HAL the rights to use her line!

Edited by serendipity1499

Slightly off topic :p but for those of you who have sailed Alaska and Antarctica, did you enjoy one over the other? (and I'm talking specifically about the days sailing to/from and around Antarctica, not the other ports you visited) We're trying to figure out if it's worth it to do the Antarctica "drive by" since we can't afford to do it on a spendy exploration-type ship or just stick with a strictly South America itinerary that hits at least two of the four "penguin stops".

With the South America + Antarctica you also get some fabulous cruising days (potentially) along the Chilean coast as well as the wonderful days in Antarctica. It was 7 days straight aboard ship (when we left SA until we returned) but it was like being on the ultimate shorex. Antarctica is different than Alaska: but in many ways of the same genre. I would like to spend more time SCENIC CRUISING Alaska. The SA/Antarctic itinerary has a lot of scenic cruising. I absolutely loved it. We had to miss Ush due to wind but we gained essentially an extra day in Antarctica (so we had 4 days of the main attraction). (And that also means I left unfinished business that I simply must return to complete:D.)

Alaska is easier to get to, but Antarctica is nothing like Alaska, while being so much more.

Antarctica is stark beyond my ability to describe, quiet, the air is incredibly fresh. There is no other place on earth that is like it.

You don't "go" to Antarctica; you feel it to the depths of your soul.

And here is a little sample (18 minutes) from our trip:

(The very last picture rather sums it up for me).

i-q9JhZ9z-S.jpg

TIOGACRUISER..

Thank you for sharing your beautiful video.. It was a wonderful for me to remember our 2012 trip to Antarctica..

Our large camera was lost so our Antarctica pictures were taken on my small point & shoot camera & not as exciting as your video..

When my Grandkids come to see us, we would like to show them your lovely video.. Thanks again..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Tioga - Thank you SO much for posting your video! Just watching those 18 minutes allowed me to "feel it to the depths of my soul", just as Ruth described it ... I can only imagine how magnificent it would be in person!! :D

Wish HAL would hurry up and post their Antarctica itineraries for 2015/2016!

Is there a definitive book about Antarctica that one should read?

Thanks again!

Barb

TIOGACRUISER..

Thank you for sharing your beautiful video.. It was a wonderful for me to remember our 2012 trip to Antarctica..

Our large camera was lost so our Antarctica pictures were taken on my small point & shoot camera & not as exciting as your video..

When my Grandkids come to see us, we would like to show them your lovely video.. Thanks again..

Betty

Glad you enjoyed it!

Tioga - Thank you SO much for posting your video! Just watching those 18 minutes allowed me to "feel it to the depths of my soul", just as Ruth described it ... I can only imagine how magnificent it would be in person!! :D

Wish HAL would hurry up and post their Antarctica itineraries for 2015/2016!

Is there a definitive book about Antarctica that one should read?

Thanks again!

Barb

Thank you and glad you enjoyed it. I get those "happy memories" every time I look at the videos or photos.:) Certainly I am no expert on books but I can share a few resources I have enjoyed and maybe others can chime in:

Captain Albert's Blog:

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/author/captain-albert/page/2/?ym=201002

Bev Scott's Blog (a CC Member):

http://bescotti.blogspot.com/2011/01/saturday-1-january-2011.html

I still go back and re-read portions of both. (They both (along with a conversation with RuthC) played a big role in my interest in taking the cruise.)

Frozen Planet (series is very interesting. It focuses on both the North and South polar regions (but I found I had to pay attention to which region was being discussed as it goes back and forth). I much preferred the BBC version with David Attenborough (spelling) to the Alec Baldwin version for script and story. And no, they are not the same (I have watched both versions.)

Local cable just had a 3 part series in conjunction with Nova called Chasing Shackleton. Hint: Watch the episodes in order to get the full context.

The Crystal Desert: Summers in Antarctica by David Campbell- I have not completed it yet but am really enjoying it. It is about the wildlife and history- not really a light reading....

Antarctic Cruising Guide by Peter Carey and Craig Franklin was good for after the cruise to look up information for my coffee table photo book, but too confusing before the trip and too heavy to pack. (Captain Bos had made a selection of books available in the Crows Nest as reference material that was available to all and we had the Wilson Brothers with us doing live wildlife play by play so it was not needed).

Speaking of Drs Chris and David Wilson (speakers we had in conjunction with Benjamin and Dr. Dave Bresnahan (sp?) they have a few books out: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lost-Photographs-Captain-Scott/dp/0316178500/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396842025&sr=8-2&keywords=antartica+Wilson

And catch Chris's blogs about the past 2 years of sailing HAL to Antarctica (including a preview for 2014) here: http://www.wildside.ie/news.php?art=283

Audible had "The Endurance" which was a very well read/acted piece about Shackleton's second voyage...... http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shackletons-Incredible-Voyage/dp/B0018DNFY6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396841978&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=audble+the+endurance

Antarctic Map: http://www.amazon.com/Antarctic-Peninsula-Antartica-Ecomapa-English/dp/1879568217/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1396841686&sr=8-7&keywords=antarctica+map

A really great map of Chile/Argentina's tip: Captain Bos signed my copy. :) http://www.amazon.com/Patagonian-Fuegian-Channels-Waterproof-Map/dp/1879568969/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396841862&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Chile+fiords+map

This map was posted in the Atrium on Veendam but they did not have any for sale. Pax usually bought them in Ush (which we missed).

And if you are interested you might google "Antarctica Treaty" as there is some interesting information there that helps set a good base for why this region is so different politically.

HTH-

~TC

Edited by TiogaCruiser