Perks for a group cruise?

If I were in your boat, I would have just canceled everything and find a new TA. They are supposed to provide service and answer your questions. The perks belong to your group. If you are booking a room and happen to tag along a group they have is one thing, but your family is booking so many rooms, so the perks should be yours to keep. Luckily, my TA tells me all this up front and gives us perks above and beyond the GAP perks...:)

Sometimes the TA charges a cancel fee, so the OP might be stuck in this case.

Great thread, a lot of good info. We've booked as a group before (8 cabins) and didn't hear anything about gap points. This time we only have three cabins but our TA said he booked us as a group, wondering if maybe others he's dealing with booked this same cruise. The TA said we may end up with an OBC.

Well that is really confusing too because we have 23 rooms so far. Of those we have abt 10 balcony, 9 ocean view, 3 inside and 1 promenade. Don't even know how they figure that. And the Ta keeps saying, Oh I don't think that includes the NCCF. You have to pay that. So I am confused. Ready to pull the booking but the TA has to agree for us to switch to RC or a different agency.

Whatever you have the most of... in this case the balcony... that is the free berth you get..... but it really is the MONEY is costs... and you should get it before you leave...

Right now at 23 rooms you get the same as 2 berths... if you booked one more cabin... then you would get 3 berths..... (unless you used your GAP points and change the ratio.... which is something you can do)

I would be throwing a FIT if I were you and change TA if you need to...

The quick way to find out how many GAP points you have is to call the Group Desk and ask them.... just pretend you are booking a new group....

Good Luck!!!

PS... one way to change is to go talk to another TA and ask them to help you... that way you wouldn't be in the middle of it.

Ernesto

For the TAs---

When does Royal refund the free berth monies?

I know Carnival sends a check after the cruise has been completed. Sometimes TAs will advance this to their clients for the cruise.

Also, is it the full fare or only the commissionable part of the fare?

(More info for OP the better.)

Edited by SadieN

For the TAs---

I know Carnival sends a check after the cruise has been completed. Sometimes TAs will advance this to their clients for the cruise.

1. I don't know the answer to your first question... only to say that I get my money prior to the trip... it is something I work out with the TA

2. The amount is everything supposed to be everything but the "taxes."

Ernesto

Hello...... here is a link that explains all the GAP points

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10021360_GAP_Amenity_2011.pdf

In order for the "tour leader" to get cash... you would want to use the "marketing fund."

This, of course, is IN ADDITION to the TOUR CONDUCTOR CREDIT.....

Since the normal ratio for the Tour Conductor credit is 1 for 16.... (which is really 1 person for every 8 cabins booked).... you can increase it with GAP points to 1 for every 7 cabins... or 1 for every 6 cabins... or even 1 for every 5 cabins.

This whole "non commission" rate took me a while to understand.... but is one the reasons the TA's are being weird about all this.. and why I tell them up front that I will not touch their original commission (because I make them do A LOT of work for me and the group).

TA's get a commission of 15%....

1. Let's say the fare was $1200 per person... with $100 being port taxes...

2. In the old days the TA would get 15% on the $1100...... this would be $165 per booking.

3. Now... Royal says.... from the $1200... $100 is for taxes.... $400 is non-commission... and $700 is commissionable.... so the commission is only on the $700... which would be $105 per booking....... (if you are using anything like a balcony discount.... which for my last cruise was $300... then that amount is taken off the commission fare and not the non-commission fare..... so here the commission would be based on $400... which only then delivers $60 to the TA.

On a personal note.... some TA's hate that we know this stuff...

I hope this is helpful.

Ernesto

Thanks again to everyone for your answers, feedback and advice. Finally got the TA to promise to give us the full GAP points. Still a little wishy washy on how they are computing the free berth, but baby steps. Still some questions for her but I am trying to be calm and steady. Thanks again. If anyone has questions about Alaska, that is probably the only thing I can help with! LOL!

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10021360_GAP_Amenity_2011.pdf

In order for the "tour leader" to get cash... you would want to use the "marketing fund."

Since the normal ratio for the Tour Conductor credit is 1 for 16.... (which is really 1 person for every 8 cabins booked).... you can increase it with GAP points to 1 for every 7 cabins... or 1 for every 6 cabins... or even 1 for every 5 cabins.

This whole "non commission" rate took me a while to understand.... but is one the reasons the TA's are being weird about all this.. and why I tell them up front that I will not touch their original commission (because I make them do A LOT of work for me and the group).

2. In the old days the TA would get 15% on the $1100...... this would be $165 per booking.

3. Now... Royal says.... from the $1200... $100 is for taxes.... $400 is non-commission... and $700 is commissionable.... so the commission is only on the $700... which would be $105 per booking....... (if you are using anything like a balcony discount.... which for my last cruise was $300... then that amount is taken off the commission fare and not the non-commission fare..... so here the commission would be based on $400... which only then delivers $60 to the TA.

I hope this is helpful.

Ernesto

How do they split the commissionable/non-commissionable amounts? Is that truly arbitrary on Royal's part? Seems it would have been a lot more straightforward to just lower the commission percentage, rather than come up with some "commissionable/non-commissionable" split. But then, maybe straightforward and easy to understand isn't the goal!

A couple of corrections and additions to Ernesto's overall excellent summary:

"TA's get a commission of 15%...."

Not always. Smaller agencies get smaller percentages.... and as he states 0% on taxes and 0% on NCCF.

Depending on where the TA works (employee versus independent affiliate) - remember that they may not be getting paid ANY salary/wage at all and work only for commission while paying their own business expenses (phone, website, insurance, etc..) out of that amount. If you have a demanding, high maintenance group the TA is justified in expecting more pay.

Until your group is finalized (sails), the TC amount can change based on additions, cancellations, and changes. The TA has no control over this and may be reluctant to commit to a number while waiting for the final $$ from the cruise line.

Many TA's don't get paid until after you sail. A good TA doesn't hate that you know about points, etc... but a good TA does expect to get paid for their work and should communicate that to you in a professional and up-front manner.

Edited by joyful1nh

For the TAs---

I am acting as TA for our group and was told that the free berth money would be credited when 8 rooms(16 berths) were paid in full. I was told that at that point it could be credited back to my credit card, used towards OBC, credited towards a single or multiple fares, etc. I'm still a few months away from finding out how accurate that is, but that is the information I was given.

I hope this is helpful.

Ernesto

A couple of corrections and additions to Ernesto's overall excellent summary:

"TA's get a commission of 15%...."

Not always. Smaller agencies get smaller percentages.... and as he states 0% on taxes and 0% on NCCF.

Depending on where the TA works (employee versus independent affiliate) - remember that they may not be getting paid ANY salary/wage at all and work only for commission while paying their own business expenses (phone, website, insurance, etc..) out of that amount. If you have a demanding, high maintenance group the TA is justified in expecting more pay.

Until your group is finalized (sails), the TC amount can change based on additions, cancellations, and changes. The TA has no control over this and may be reluctant to commit to a number while waiting for the final $$ from the cruise line.

Many TA's don't get paid until after you sail. A good TA doesn't hate that you know about points, etc... but a good TA does expect to get paid for their work and should communicate that to you in a professional and up-front manner.

Have to agree - not all get 15% - and a good TA certainly doesn't mind if you know what you are talking about -

Why would you expect to get any of the TA's commission?

Thanks again to everyone for your answers, feedback and advice. Finally got the TA to promise to give us the full GAP points. Still a little wishy washy on how they are computing the free berth, but baby steps. Still some questions for her but I am trying to be calm and steady. Thanks again. If anyone has questions about Alaska, that is probably the only thing I can help with! LOL!

Hello Alaska - funny you should bring up Alaska - we are doing our first Alaska cruise this June - Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan - arriving 1 night pre cruise into Anchorage staying at Captain Cook with train up to Whittier - Any suggestions?

I know we are on the RCCL site, but I have a questions for any TA's out there. What cruise lines have you found to be the best to work with? Allow price drops after group bookings? Best perks offered to groups?

We have done two group cruises (12 to 15 cabins), both on Carnival, and we had issues making room changes and getting price drops, our TA response was we were dealing with Carnival, and they are not easy to work with.

We are now looking to book May 2016 cruise and are considering RCCL, and the others. Would like to hear from those that routinely deal with groups departments, and what you would recommend.

Really appreciate this thread, given me lots of detailed information to take into our next booking.

Crazypriest - you stated this a few back: personal opinion.... when I do this.. I tell the TA that they get to keep the commission that is set at the time of booking (which is 15% of the commission-able fare)... this is because I am "high maintenance" and expect a lot of work from the TA. The fare is broken up into 3 categories... Commission-able fare / non commission fare / Port taxes.

Its really bugging me as to why you would think you have the ability to tell the TA they get to keep their commission?

While I do think you should get every single perk you are entitled to - but their commission is their salary and a group is a lot of work. Whether you are high maintenance or not, I don't believe you have the ability to tell them they can keep their commission.

Crazypriest - you stated this a few back: personal opinion.... when I do this.. I tell the TA that they get to keep the commission that is set at the time of booking (which is 15% of the commission-able fare)... this is because I am "high maintenance" and expect a lot of work from the TA. The fare is broken up into 3 categories... Commission-able fare / non commission fare / Port taxes.

Its really bugging me as to why you would think you have the ability to tell the TA they get to keep their commission?

While I do think you should get every single perk you are entitled to - but their commission is their salary and a group is a lot of work. Whether you are high maintenance or not, I don't believe you have the ability to tell them they can keep their commission.

It's not uncommon for a TA to rebate back part of their commission - when you transfer your reservation to a TA and they give you OBC, that's exactly what they're doing. He's not giving them "permission" to keep their commission, he's just assuring them that he's not going to ask for anything beyond what is coming from RCI in terms of Conductor credit & GAP credits.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

It's not uncommon for a TA to rebate back part of their commission - when you transfer your reservation to a TA and they give you OBC, that's exactly what they're doing. He's not giving them "permission" to keep their commission, he's just assuring them that he's not going to ask for anything beyond what is coming from RCI in terms of Conductor credit & GAP credits.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks for the explanation. Completely understand that. Guess I would have worded it a little differently - "permission to keep the commission" vs not expecting any kick back for obc. Thanks again.

Thank you for your excellent question!!!! The reason I say this to the TA is actually your point... I DO VALUE all the work they do and I want to be clear from the beginning that I do..... I understand that some "group leaders" ask for additional benefits and "try" to get those from the commission amount... they attempt to play one TA from another.... so the reason I say it is to be clear that I will NEVER do that...

At the same time...I expect the same from the TA.... I am an Episcopal Priest and for some reason, when my wife and I travel, A LOT of people want to come along. Our trips are amazing. I plan all the excursions... and can usually offer to our group excursions that are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of what the ship offers... and they are more personable and unique (ie... we have one stop in Crete and we took a bus up to a little town where I had befriended a night time manager in a hotel... her mom served us baklava and her dad served us some amazing drink... at the hotel we were served a Greek wedding feast.. we had music and dancers... and then the party turned into a dance fest... all for $45!!!) We work very hard to make the trip wonderful and full of hospitality.... my expectation is that our work is honored as well which is why I insist on being able to get our part....

I don't know if I said this above....but I work this all out with the TA up front and one of the things I ask for and offer is FULL TRANSPARENCY... (both ways).... I found that I can only get that if I am clear that I will not try to impose on their commission.

Blessings!

Ernesto

This forum is great!!! I think a very good use of CruiseCritic!!!

My apologies if I ever gave the impression that I didn't value the work done by a Travel Agent....

And thank you for any corrections you all have offered.... I am just this crazy/silly guy who loves to put groups together when we travel... it is way too much fun... and I am thankful to share some of the things I have learned.

I found myself smiling when there were some comments made because of my saying "TA's don't like you knowing some of this information.".... because a couple months ago I was having a meeting with my TA and her boss because some of the charges were not being shown on their new invoices.... and in a kind of jest.. the boss said... "Ernesto... you simply know too much!!"

She continued to tell me that if I didn't know what I knew that they would have not told me about GAP points and would have have kept the majority for themselves... because it is real money and then gifted us $25 OBC or a fruit plate (worth 2 GAP points)...which had we not known would have seemed like a nice gift from them.

All I am looking for is fairness...... This next cruise we are doing I actually choose to give my TA 2 of my GAP points because I felt the non-commission fare was too high and that she was working a lot for our group.... but that was my choice

Ernesto

Hello Alaska - funny you should bring up Alaska - we are doing our first Alaska cruise this June - Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan - arriving 1 night pre cruise into Anchorage staying at Captain Cook with train up to Whittier - Any suggestions?

I can offer many suggestions, but first a couple of questions.

1. What types of activities do you like.

2. Do you have a budget or an idea of how much you would like to spend

3. How many people in your group

We did an awesome tour in Skagway that included the train up and then a private tour guide picked us up and brought us back by car stopping at lots of interesting places and time to see some beautiful vistas as well as a bear right on the side of the road which we had time to take pictures of.

We've been to Juneau twice. Once we did a helicopter flight and landed on a glacier. It is amazing to actually be standing on it! Mendenhall Glacier there is also wonderful and very accessible.

In Ketchikan we kayaked which was absolutely amazing. We still had time after to walk around the town and check out the Totem Pole park.

So let me know what your interests are and I will have plenty more advice. You will love it there. Really beautiful.

Also, I tried to look up your cruise to get an idea of the times etc and I don't see one out of Whittier? Is it an RCCL cruise?

Edited by Alaskalovr

I have a group cruise booked for this summer and we are receiving 1 free berth as well as a $50 OBC per stateroom. Is the OBC because of the GAP points? I have never heard of the GAP points before. When I booked, the group specialist at RCCL told me that these would be the two perks that we would receive for this cruise. Does this sound correct or am I missing out on something here?

I have a group cruise booked for this summer and we are receiving 1 free berth as well as a $50 OBC per stateroom. Is the OBC because of the GAP points? I have never heard of the GAP points before. When I booked, the group specialist at RCCL told me that these would be the two perks that we would receive for this cruise. Does this sound correct or am I missing out on something here?

Those perks sound like GAP points perks to me.

Yes - 4 Gap points equal $50 OBC - They are giving you exactly what you deserve

CruisingPriest - Ernesto - I would LOVE to work with you! An informed client is always a pleasure! I would never deny any client anything they were entitled to - even if they weren't aware of what they were entitled to - Id inform them - you sound like someone who loves to travel and loves to plan. What a great experience. :)

I can offer many suggestions, but first a couple of questions.

1. What types of activities do you like.

2. Do you have a budget or an idea of how much you would like to spend

3. How many people in your group

We did an awesome tour in Skagway that included the train up and then a private tour guide picked us up and brought us back by car stopping at lots of interesting places and time to see some beautiful vistas as well as a bear right on the side of the road which we had time to take pictures of.

We've been to Juneau twice. Once we did a helicopter flight and landed on a glacier. It is amazing to actually be standing on it! Mendenhall Glacier there is also wonderful and very accessible.

In Ketchikan we kayaked which was absolutely amazing. We still had time after to walk around the town and check out the Totem Pole park.

So let me know what your interests are and I will have plenty more advice. You will love it there. Really beautiful.

Also, I tried to look up your cruise to get an idea of the times etc and I don't see one out of Whittier? Is it an RCCL cruise?

Its only 4 of us. No - its not a Royal cruise. While I am loyal to Royal being D+ in this case we have chosen to cruise another line. We have already booked several excursions and I have to pull my file and get those to you to see if we made good choices. Traveling with others we have all decided to each choose. As far as budget, there really isn't one, however, I guess there might be since its not on our list to spend hundreds per person to do helicopter excursions.

We have our first night in Anchorage at Captain Cooks and arrive approx. 7 PM - so we are doing a mid day big meal since we have a big layover in Chicago and plan on a light dinner at the hotel unless you can recommend elsewhere in Anchorage. Friend of ours lived in Alaska and says the bar/lounge/restaurant at the top of the hotel is good.

That is what is sounds like.... my only questions would be...

1. Did your cruise have more than 4 GAP points?

2. Why were you not given the option of choosing how you wanted to use your GAP points?

Ernesto