Cruise Critic heads to St. Thomas/St. John

How easy and expensive is it to get to St. John from St. Thomas without a cruise ship excursion? I'm worried the NCL excursions won't leave enough time to explore the island.

Thanks CC!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did St John last week on our own. I think the cost for 2 of us from Havensight to Red Hook Ferry to Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay and back was about $80. That was less than the price for 1 person on Carnival excursion and we used the time the way we wanted. I would totally do it on my own. We were on the 9am ferry to Cruz Bay and arrived at Trunk way before any crowds.

Great questions, everyone! I will do my best to find the answers. It seems like people have particular interest in the different beaches, as well as things to do on Sundays. While I'll be in the USVI tomorrow (Monday) through Friday, I will make sure to ask about weekend hours.

I'll also be reporting live from the trip on this thread, as well as putting together stories for the Lido Deck, our sister site The Independent Traveler and updating our port profiles for USVI. I'll be on a tight schedule, but I do think the islands have some new attractions since the last time our staff was down there....lots to do is a good thing!

Cruise Critic Chris - Other than this article for the Lido Deck (http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2014/04/22/destination-spotlight-the-u-s-virgin-islands-for-every-traveler/) what are the best other parts of this site (or sister site) to obtain information about these islands that you found out on your trip? Thanks!